[Q] Whats a good phone to buy used to mess with?

Search This thread

NotSoSiniSter

Dec 16, 2011
The whole programming/android/hacking scene has always intrigued me and I really hope its something that I can really sink into in the coming years. Especially when I go to college. But when you tinker with ****, you break ****, and I'm not about to MOD EDIT over my Galaxy Nexus. :p

This is why it would be kinda nice to buy a phone off of ebay that I could use to flash roms to, and mess with. But is there any kind of phone that would be best to try and snag a good deal with? Or is it really anything relatively recent will give me what I want?

Thanks. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

eletro

Apr 5, 2010
You could also try htc hd2.

Originally a win mo 6.5 phone. As its quite old model, it should be easy & cheap to get.

It can mod to run wp7/android/meego/ubuntu, and its relatively easy to mod and hard to brick :D

0kando0

Jun 25, 2011
Edmonton
Motorola Atrix

Get a Moto Atrix. Has lots you can do and still has an active developer base. As long as you keep yourself educated tinkering with your Nexus shouldn't be too bad though :D

Austin Air

Apr 13, 2012
Austin
The Evo 4g seems to keep spitting out updates by multiple sources. They also seem to have some of the quickest responses when it comes to help questions. If I was going to start from scratch and learn as I go, I'd go with that one (and they're cheap used too).