Screen died

Search This thread

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
I got my SM-P601 about 2 weeks ago, and it has been working perfectly since then, until last night. I left my note 10.1 with my father and left, when I got back, it was acting really weird. When I press the power button, you hear that sound that it woke up, but the screen doesn't power up until about 2 seconds later, it performs normally afterwards. Tried rebooting, no luck. It still gets weirder, so I leave it for an hour or so, when I try later, the screen no longer powers up (I don't know it's that or it has failed, crashed or something) but it is obviously powered up because when I press the power button, you hear that usual sound, and the same thing when you unlock it, I navigated through pages and even opened up some games, it's all working, except there's no screen, just plain black. The bigger problem is, I rooted it, so no warranty for me.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
Alright I'm gonna try that, but I'm gonna need help navigating through the menu. After I power it off, I press the volume up and power and release the power button after about 5 seconds right? (I can't tell when the samsung logo shows up). The thing I wanna make sure of, the factory reset option, is it the third or fourth option? I am not sure if it is the same as my GS4. The confirmation afterwards is the eighth option. Can someone confirm that?

lsherif

Apr 11, 2008
Cairo
Alright I'm gonna try that, but I'm gonna need help navigating through the menu. After I power it off, I press the volume up and power and release the power button after about 5 seconds right? (I can't tell when the samsung logo shows up). The thing I wanna make sure of, the factory reset option, is it the third or fourth option? I am not sure if it is the same as my GS4. The confirmation afterwards is the eighth option. Can someone confirm that?

It`s the fourth line " wipe data/factory reset.

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
Okay I think I successfully factory reset it. However, nothing's changed. The weird thing is, the touch screen is working, it is functioning properly and I can select apps etc... but I just can't see anything.

lsherif

Apr 11, 2008
Cairo
Okay I think I successfully factory reset it. However, nothing's changed. The weird thing is, the touch screen is working, it is functioning properly and I can select apps etc... but I just can't see anything.

How can you select apps , while you can`t see anything :confused:

JACK4HIRE

Dec 13, 2013
Just because your Knox flag has been tripped, does not automatically mean your warranty has been completely voided. Samsung is going to have to prove that your rooting the tablet is what caused the screen failure.

Were you running a custom ROM or kernel? If not, then there is no way I can think of that simply rooting the tablet caused the screen failure.

Now that's not to say your warranty isn't voided for another reason such as the tablet was dropped et al.

Just thinking outside the box... Did you happen to have Screen Filter or a like application installed at the time your screen went black? If so, someone may have adjusted the brightness setting to zero and that could be causing the problem.

Good luck.

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
I hope that's the case, can they even tell it is rooted without the screen being on?
To answer your questions, I haven't installed a custom ROM neither a screen filter app, I tried adjusting the brightness multiple times so one of the tries must have actually hit the correct place, still no effect though.
If nothing works, I think my only option is to take it back to samsung.

lucky 69

Jan 11, 2009
brazil ,indiana u.s.a
I hope that's the case, can they even tell it is rooted without the screen being on?
To answer your questions, I haven't installed a custom ROM neither a screen filter app, I tried adjusting the brightness multiple times so one of the tries must have actually hit the correct place, still no effect though.
If nothing works, I think my only option is to take it back to samsung.

ya you should try samsung .at this point it wont hurt .just tell them screen went out and go from there. don't mention root .unless they ask.they will be able to tell anyway.this should be covered under warranty.good luck. let us know how it goes.

killer8297

May 6, 2012
I had the exact same issue with this tablet.
The problem is that the backlight is dead.
If you look closely at the screen under the light, you'll be able to see some icons and letters.
In my case, Samsung did not cover the warranty because my device was not purchased in Canada and it was rooted.
I mean Canada didn't even have the device at the time.
Long story short, I did something bad to get my tablet "repaired".
But I blame Samsung for having such a crappy warranty service.

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
Yeah I think I'll just take it to them. I'll let you know what happens.

odaibasha

Sep 8, 2013
I had the exact same issue with this tablet.
The problem is that the backlight is dead.
If you look closely at the screen under the light, you'll be able to see some icons and letters.
In my case, Samsung did not cover the warranty because my device was not purchased in Canada and it was rooted.
I mean Canada didn't even have the device at the time.
Long story short, I did something bad to get my tablet "repaired".
But I blame Samsung for having such a crappy warranty service.

May I ask what that bad thing was? :p

C2Q

Dec 10, 2011
May I ask what that bad thing was? :p

Just a wild guess but I suppose you could go buy a new one from a retailer here in Canada, swap out the faulty one for the new one and return it claiming it's faulty (I doubt any of them check the SN on the back and the one on the box match), or I guess you could even swap the SN on the box from the SN on the US box so it does match.

Not saying he did that, but it's the easiest way to get it "repaired" :p

Come to think of it you can do this for any tablet, even though this is downright fraud. So please don't.

Last edited: