[Q] Hidden SSID cannot connect

Search This thread

cradle66

Apr 18, 2014
Hello everyone.
At my work they set the wireless with two channels. One is open to everybody with an email verification and allowed users to connect for 2 hours a day and the other is a hidden SSID that the workers can use all the time. In my iphone I have no issues. I add the network manually and it connects. But on my Sony xperia Z1 when I go to wifi and add the hidden SSID it just said not in range while the other network is in range. So far I tried the Hidden SSID enabler app with no luck. Any suggestions? My device has kitkat 4.4.2 and is rooted.
Thanks in advance

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Hello everyone.
At my work they set the wireless with two channels. One is open to everybody with an email verification and allowed users to connect for 2 hours a day and the other is a hidden SSID that the workers can use all the time. In my iphone I have no issues. I add the network manually and it connects. But on my Sony xperia Z1 when I go to wifi and add the hidden SSID it just said not in range while the other network is in range. So far I tried the Hidden SSID enabler app with no luck. Any suggestions? My device has kitkat 4.4.2 and is rooted.
Thanks in advance

Yes, hidden networks are tough to get working with android. My experience with this is that when the hidden network won't connect and then not even recognize it's either that the psk/psk method don't match OR the network is Wireless-N only, which many newer android phones still can't connect to, while the iPhone can. -.- (the *only* thing apple is doing right I guess)

--
Say thanks if I was of help,

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Lgrootnoob

Lgrootnoob

Oct 1, 2012
Dallas
Yes, hidden networks are tough to get working with android. My experience with this is that when the hidden network won't connect and then not even recognize it's either that the psk/psk method don't match OR the network is Wireless-N only, which many newer android phones still can't connect to, while the iPhone can. -.- (the *only* thing apple is doing right I guess)

--

Apple has a flaw too however.
When a network requires you to log into a browser page with a password and username, the Iphone automatically opens the browser page to have you log into the new network.
This opens up drive by attacks to Iphone users connecting to open networks which can then Jailbreak the older firmwares.

I believe this is true, but don't rely on me. I don't even own an Iphone. lol

Reactions: aarongillion63

cradle66

Apr 18, 2014
Another thing I didn't mentioned is that I cannot access routers settings. Also a friend of mine with a galaxy s4 can connect on hidden network. Anyone has the same problem?

cradle66

Apr 18, 2014
Thank you for the response...Its a belkin but the company who set up the network can only access to the routers settings. I'm not sure about the model but the thing is that I can connect with other devices and not with my Z1. It can find the non hidden network which works for a couple of hours and when I manually add the hidden network it says not in range. a friend of mine with his samsung galaxy s4 connected earlier and what I noticed was that when he was entering the hidden networks details it had the options cancel and connect. When I was doing the same the options was cancel and save. So he could connect and I just had the hidden network saying just out of range. That's all. I don't know if it works on earlier android versions like that but I cannot connect on the hidden network.
Can you specify what router you have? Model #?

Thanks

Sent from my HTCONE using XDA Free mobile app

aarongillion63

Apr 13, 2014
Grand Rapids MI
aaron.gillion.io
Thank you for the response...Its a belkin but the company who set up the network can only access to the routers settings. I'm not sure about the model but the thing is that I can connect with other devices and not with my Z1. It can find the non hidden network which works for a couple of hours and when I manually add the hidden network it says not in range. a friend of mine with his samsung galaxy s4 connected earlier and what I noticed was that when he was entering the hidden networks details it had the options cancel and connect. When I was doing the same the options was cancel and save. So he could connect and I just had the hidden network saying just out of range. That's all. I don't know if it works on earlier android versions like that but I cannot connect on the hidden network.

Huh. I looked up your phone and it's compatible with all the 802.11 specifications, Wireless-N included. Personally I've had bad experiences with Belkin routers, I trashed mine cause the usb sharing wouldn't work :D . I say try creating another hidden network with your own router, just to test whether it's an issue with your phone or with your router.

--

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.
    Thanks in advance

--

--

Apple has a flaw too however.
    When a network requires you to log into a browser page with a password and username, the Iphone automatically opens the browser page to have you log into the new network.
    This opens up drive by attacks to Iphone users connecting to open networks which can then Jailbreak the older firmwares.

I believe this is true, but don't rely on me. I don't even own an Iphone. lol