[DISCUSSION] Exchange 2010 Sync issues

Search This thread

thevinylpimp

May 7, 2010
Alkmaar
You should mention to them that the HTC Desire HD had identical problems and HTC issued an over-the-air (OTA) update that fixed it - by changing the EAS policy back to version 12..

PLease keep us informed!!

Just updated the Incident (case) i have in their callsystem.. hope they use this information to spread the word internally.. perhaps it's possible to use the same fix as they used for the Desire HD.. poor support so far :/

Ofcourse i'll keep u posted!

zappoo

Mar 12, 2006
Sydney
Keep pushing them. They released a fix for the Desire HD.. so they obviously know it's a problem. Crazy they haven't issued the same fix for the Z.

Duppsko

Jul 23, 2006
I spoke to HTC Support Norway yesterday, and they were aware of the sync-problems with exchange 2010. They told me that they had an ongoing dialog with Microsoft on how to solve these issues..

Didn't they just fix the very same problem on the DHD??

marka2k

Jan 19, 2005
Oklahoma
Thank you for this solution just got my Desire Z and had this issue drove me crazy until I came across this thread and your solution.

So i have a work-around after reading the above and other forums.

i turned off "Exchange" sync in my phone for email – left it on for calendar as i like the HTC calendar widget.

Then installed this stock email APK
http://denness.net/Email.apk

Then set it up to sync JUST email..

Then changed the "Mail" (HTC) icon on my home sceren to the "Email" (Stock android) icon.

Now all works well.

The HTC mail app is a BIT nicer – but not by much. The stock app is pretty good too.

So until HTC release an OTA update for this problem (like they have for HTC Desire HD), the above is a reasonably good work-around.

Wonder if we should contact HTC to tell them? Or will they issue an update soon enough?

When using the HTC app, the EAS version reported by webmail is 14.
When using the stock android app, the EAS version is 12.

rodolgo

Oct 24, 2006
We have the same issue here at my work.

We ordered 45 HTC Desire Z phones, and me and my colleagues are one of the lucky ones to get a new business phone :D

We have a Microsoft Exchange 2010 Mailserver with ActiveSync OWA email services enabled. We make use of the Activesync EAS Policy (EAS14?) that enables Remote Wipe, requires user to set a system pin (simple pin) and uses phone encryption.

Now on all other HTC phones (HD2, Desire standard, Touch Pro 2) we have no problems using this phone and exchange 2010 with policy combination.

The HTC Desire Z has some other Email client that cannot handle this Policy.. :mad:

Tuesday i contacted HTC Benelux (NL) but the problem was not yet known there.. i believe the combination of the Desire Z with Exchange 2010 and a EAS policy is quite unique, so worldwide there are not a lot of users that have problems i think..

HTC is still investigating on my Incident, and they are now using a test account on my Exchange OWA. I really hope they bring out a fix soon.. i'm not about to change my Policy settings, and licensing 45 phones with Nitrodesk Touchdown is not really part of the plan..

Same configuration here - the OWA account/phone details shows that the security policy is not applied to the phone; this is confirmed by the fact that when setting up activesync on the "Z", there's no prompt to change the security code (if the policy is in force). I also noticed that the "Z" runs version 14 of the ActiveSync client - the Desire (non-"Z") runs 12.1, and runs perfectly.

On my "Z", I can receive emails and contacts during the first sync but not the calendar. Subsequent syncs always fail on contacts and calendar.

Roadsync and Touchdown do run well on the "Z" and do not face the issue; this tends to confirm that the issue lies within the HTC Activesync 14 client.

Not sure it will help finding a workaround, I guess it's now HTC's call to fix it - ASAP please :).

Rodolphe

erofeev

Apr 26, 2009
I submited a ticket with HTC Support Russia on 19th of november regarding this.
They have since requested a test account and iis logs from me. All was provided.
On 30th on November ticket was escalated to TW department for deeper investigation. Still no solution.
Today I found this thread and updated the ticket with Desire HD fix info.
Let's see what happenes next.

pitt72

Dec 2, 2008
Solution for your own Exchange 2010

Hi Folks

if you manage your own Exchange 2010, than there is a workaround for this issue. I found it on other Forum. Worked like a charm for me. :)

- Install URL Rewrite Module 2.0 on your IIS and create some rules:

Hey. So after you have the module installed, open the IIS manager on your Exchange CAS, navigate to the Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync directory, and open URL Rewrite. You'll be creating one Outbound rule for each header. If I don't specify a value for a certain field, then leave it at the default setting.

Note: Before adding the rules, I suggest removing the EAS account from your phone and then deleting the htcglacier entry from the Phone area of your OWA 2010 account.

1. Add Rule(s)...
2. Outbound rules -> Blank rule
3. Name: MS-Server-ActiveSync
4. Match > Matching scope: Server Variable
5. Match > Variable name: RESPONSE_MS_Server_ActiveSync
6. Match > Variable value: Matches the Pattern
7. Using: Wildcards
8. Pattern: *
9. Conditions > Add...
10. Add Condition dialog > Condition input: {HTTP_USER_AGENT}
11. Add Condition dialog > Check if input string: Matches the Pattern
12. Add Condition dialog > Pattern: Android-EAS/0.1
13. Add Condition dialog > OK
14. Action > Action type: Rewrite
15. Action > Action Properties > Value: 12.1
16. Apply (the rule becomes active immediately)

Then redo those steps with these substitutions.
3. Name: MS-ASProtocolVersions
5. Match > Variable name: RESPONSE_MS_ASProtocolVersions
15. Action > Action Properties > Value: 2.0,2.1,2.5,12.0,12.1

The User-agent condition should prevent other EAS 14.x capable devices (Windows Mobile, iPhone) from downgrading to 12.1. If you need even more granular filtering, you could probably also add a condition that checks the request URL for htcglacier. I didn't need that, so I didn't bother. As the rule is configured above, it will apply to any Android device that uses either the native or the HTC Mail program.

If you check your web.config, this is the XML that should be generated from those two rules.

I noticed that this also fixes two other issues that weren't mentioned. Before doing this, the EAS policy was not being applied and you could not switch between HTML and Plain text formatting for messages viewed on the phone.

I hope this can help some of you who are fighting with this problem.
As far as I can see, these rules don’t affect the other functionalities from the IIS. My IPhone is still listed as a 14.0 EAS Device.

Cheers
Pitt

Reactions: insomniac2k2

Zimeon

Jan 16, 2010
Turku
zimeon.null-byte.org
interesting, didn't even notice this (well used desire Z for less than a week now). The default e-mail client used to work with the normal desire with our organizations Exchange 2010 SP1, but doesn't seem to work eith the Desire Z. I could try that fix posted above tomorrow and report back.

domi65

Dec 25, 2006
Unbelievable, it works!!! Quick and nice workaround... 5min to configure :)

Thank you so much!
Greetz domi

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

erofeev

Apr 26, 2009
HTC finally released OTA updated that downgrades AS protocol version. Everything works briliant now:atachments, replies and GAL search.
Update is not listed on HTC site (neither Russian where I came for support nor UK where I bought the phone), just check for updates from your device.

rodolgo

Oct 24, 2006
The OTA fixes some ActiveSync issues but the calendar sync doesn't work for me; contact sync now works fine.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

ranzz

Jan 25, 2010
Exchange ActiveSync works flawlessly for me now after the OTA upgrade.
I'm only syncing contacts and calender.
It was necessary to remove and re-add the account after the upgrade.

Duppsko

Jul 23, 2006
The OTA fixed all my sync-issues as well, allthough I managed to fix some of my calendar sync problems even before the OTA upgrade..

Have you tried the "category trick" as described in this post?

If that doesn't help, try doing this:

1. In Outlook (on your PC), export your calendar to a backup file (just in case)
2. Empty your "Deleted Items"-folder in Outlook.
2. Still in Outlook, open your calendar and switch to list view (View -> Current View -> All Appointments)
3. Select all appointments and delete! (they'll end up in the deleted items-folder)
4. Now sync your phone.. Calendar sync should work without any errors basically because there are no appointments to sync!
(4. If it doesn't and you still have calendar items on your phone; delete these manually from the phone.. Might be a good idea to "clear data" in Settings - Applications - All Applications - Calendar storage)
5. Back in outlook, restore your appointments bit by bit.. Start off by restoring the first item starting with the letter A. Sync your phone. Hopefully the phone will sync just fine.. If it does, continue with even more appointments, eg. all appointments starting with the letters A-C or so... Sync your phone again.. If you're still all good, then continue this process untill all items are restored..

Now the clue to this process is to identify if there are any faulty calendar items that makes the exchange sync to stop.. In my case, using this "elimination method", I found that one of my appointments with "endless" recurrency caused the syncing to fail.. All I had to do was to delete that item, and create a new one..

Hopefully this will fix your problems.. Give it a shot and let me know how things worked out!

Last edited:

rodolgo

Oct 24, 2006
The OTA fixed all my sync-issues as well, allthough I managed to fix some of my calendar sync problems even before the OTA upgrade..

Have you tried the "category trick" as described in this post?

If that doesn't help, try doing this:

1. In Outlook (on your PC), export your calendar to a backup file (just in case)
2. Empty your "Deleted Items"-folder in Outlook.
2. Still in Outlook, open your calendar and switch to list view (View -> Current View -> All Appointments)
3. Select all appointments and delete! (they'll end up in the deleted items-folder)
4. Now sync your phone.. Calendar sync should work without any errors basically because there are no appointments to sync!
(4. If it doesn't and you still have calendar items on your phone; delete these manually from the phone.. Might be a good idea to "clear data" in Settings - Applications - All Applications - Calendar storage)
5. Back in outlook, restore your appointments bit by bit.. Start off by restoring the first item starting with the letter A. Sync your phone. Hopefully the phone will sync just fine.. If it does, continue with even more appointments, eg. all appointments starting with the letters A-C or so... Sync your phone again.. If you're still all good, then continue this process untill all items are restored..

Now the clue to this process is to identify if there are any faulty calendar items that makes the exchange sync to stop.. In my case, using this "elimination method", I found that one of my appointments with "endless" recurrency caused the syncing to fail.. All I had to do was to delete that item, and create a new one..

Hopefully this will fix your problems.. Give it a shot and let me know how things worked out!

Duppsko,
Thanks a lot for the hints. Tried all that but to no avail. Besides, my previous Desire (not the Desire Z) syncs perfectly against my E14 account. The Desire runs AS 12.1, the Z runs AS 12.1 as well... :confused:
The Desire runs 2.29.405.2 firmware (Android 2.2), the Z runs 1.72.405.2 (Android 2.2.1).

I'm lost now :(

Rodolphe

androidcues

Mar 6, 2010
Boston
I have battled all of this...its got way too many variables and unless your IT guy has a hardon for android its just going to be up to you and microsoft.

My solution was to sync outlook calendar and contacts to google...and then use google calendar on your phone. Its like using google as the fixit.

Its a workaround but its clean and completely seamless.

vision

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solution for your own Exchange 2010

Hi Folks

if you manage your own Exchange 2010, than there is a workaround for this issue. I found it on other Forum. Worked like a charm for me. :)

- Install URL Rewrite Module 2.0 on your IIS and create some rules:

Hey. So after you have the module installed, open the IIS manager on your Exchange CAS, navigate to the Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync directory, and open URL Rewrite. You'll be creating one Outbound rule for each header. If I don't specify a value for a certain field, then leave it at the default setting.

Note: Before adding the rules, I suggest removing the EAS account from your phone and then deleting the htcglacier entry from the Phone area of your OWA 2010 account.

1. Add Rule(s)...
    2. Outbound rules -> Blank rule
    3. Name: MS-Server-ActiveSync
    4. Match > Matching scope: Server Variable
    5. Match > Variable name: RESPONSE_MS_Server_ActiveSync
    6. Match > Variable value: Matches the Pattern
    7. Using: Wildcards
    8. Pattern: *
    9. Conditions > Add...
    10. Add Condition dialog > Condition input: {HTTP_USER_AGENT}
    11. Add Condition dialog > Check if input string: Matches the Pattern
    12. Add Condition dialog > Pattern: Android-EAS/0.1
    13. Add Condition dialog > OK
    14. Action > Action type: Rewrite
    15. Action > Action Properties > Value: 12.1
    16. Apply (the rule becomes active immediately)

Then redo those steps with these substitutions.
    3. Name: MS-ASProtocolVersions
    5. Match > Variable name: RESPONSE_MS_ASProtocolVersions
    15. Action > Action Properties > Value: 2.0,2.1,2.5,12.0,12.1

The User-agent condition should prevent other EAS 14.x capable devices (Windows Mobile, iPhone) from downgrading to 12.1. If you need even more granular filtering, you could probably also add a condition that checks the request URL for htcglacier. I didn't need that, so I didn't bother. As the rule is configured above, it will apply to any Android device that uses either the native or the HTC Mail program.

If you check your web.config, this is the XML that should be generated from those two rules.

I noticed that this also fixes two other issues that weren't mentioned. Before doing this, the EAS policy was not being applied and you could not switch between HTML and Plain text formatting for messages viewed on the phone.

I hope this can help some of you who are fighting with this problem.
    As far as I can see, these rules don’t affect the other functionalities from the IIS. My IPhone is still listed as a 14.0 EAS Device.

Cheers
    Pitt