[Q] Woke up to HARD Bricked Nexus 5 - please help.

Search This thread

gazumph

Nov 23, 2012
I have a Nexus 5. I woke up this morning and it is hard bricked. Will not even turn on no matter what I try (power button for at least 15 seconds, volume down + power...both volume buttons + power). I tried charging it, but it was fully charged when I went to bed anyway.

Details: Rooted Stock 4.4.2 - unlocked (obviously with being rooted).

Nothing weird on there. Stock Kernel, etc.

I have no idea what to do next. I turned off USB Debugging after I rooted, so Nexus Root Toolkit won't touch it, but even so, it won't turn on. When I plug it into my computer I get the audio confirmation from the computer that it was plugged in, but I can't see it on Windows Explorer.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
I have a Nexus 5. I woke up this morning and it is hard bricked. Will not even turn on no matter what I try (power button for at least 15 seconds, volume down + power...both volume buttons + power). I tried charging it, but it was fully charged when I went to bed anyway.

I have no idea what to do next. I turned off USB Debugging after I rooted, so Nexus Root Toolkit won't touch it, but even so, it won't turn on. When I plug it into my computer I get the audio confirmation from the computer that it was plugged in, but I can't see it on Windows Explorer.

Can you get into the bootloader (by pressing volume down and power button)?

-Edit- missread, you tried that allready

I would plug it to charge and try going into the bootloader again after a while, maybe the battery is drained overnight.

Last edited:

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Long press the power button for 10 seconds. See if it'll start after that
Edit, sorry I see you've tried that

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
As @gee2012 said, try and charge it for a while. If after that it still does nothing, it needs returning. If it does anything at all after a charge, let us know what it does do so we can further advise

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Probably you have a device with a faulty flash chip. When you connect your phone to the pc and check device manager you should see qhs_usb bulk device. That happens when the phone doesnt have a bootloader.

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

kraven001

Jan 2, 2011
Craiova
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
one thing to consider: I got a massive drain during night after a play services update. maybe that is what happened the battery was drained dry by rogue apps and the phone needs to sit on charger more to get enough juice to boot.

Last edited:

justintime001

Dec 7, 2013

I has this happen last night but I suspect it's a comb of things; from what I noticed, it SEEMED like the screen itself was having issues, not the actual device booting up.
What did I do? I basically did 2 main things persistently, and 2 more intermittent things.

I held the power button and the volume down button several times for longer and longer periods of time (5,15,30,60 seconds). Then I intermittently did the same for the power button alone. I also randomly pressed volume up. Eventually (after 5 minutes or less?) it went to the boot loader options screen without ever showing the Google unlock screen.

Oh yeah, whenever this used to happen with many electronic devices before, so I'd hold down any physical (power) button that served a function from the "off" state so I knew it was drawing some power. I'd do it for minutes to drain enough out of an overcharged battery (not unlike laptops not turning on, pulling the battery and draining excess power to reset CMOS etc.).

NOTE: I KNOW ELECTRICAL ENGINEERS THAT WOULD ADVISE AGAINST THIS - and some that would suggest it. Your choice.

Also, I was plugged in (foolishly to my iPad charger with fast USB quick charge mod) and tried it unplugged as well. I personally think it's from higher voltage ac adapter and a mod for "fast USB charging" that I enabled but if you're on stock I doubt you've done that unless you've utilized root to do that specifically.

Been experiencing sluggishness as
well with either this kernel or use of the xPosed network/busybox, just FYI. Make backups and drag them onto your comp.

Also, I realized at one point several days ago that the back casing on my phone was not flush against the phone so I had to push it back in; hope whatever caused that didn't affect wiring inside.

Hope at least the first part helps! Don't give up! But also don't press your buttons too hard. I'll see what I can find.

****I say, plug it to your comp USB port and let it sit for 30 min or more and see what happens.**** also, recall last thing you did since last reboot, if you can.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

gazumph

Nov 23, 2012
Probably you have a device with a faulty flash chip. When you connect your phone to the pc and check device manager you should see qhs_usb bulk device. That happens when the phone doesnt have a bootloader.

Yep! Device Manager has my phone under "Other devices" and it says "QHSUSB_BULK". What do I do now?

Thanks!

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Yep! Device Manager has my phone under "Other devices" and it says "QHSUSB_BULK". What do I do now?

Thanks!

If you have warranty then send it back to where you bought your device for a repair. If you dont have warranty then you have to buy new motherboard.

Simonna

Apr 8, 2013
May I ask for how much time you were using your phone before hard brick? And was it hot when you unplugged it,or it just dead charging suddenly without any visible sights?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hold the power button down not for 15 seconds, but for 30-60 seconds.