Your thoughts on the unsmooth graphics?

Search This thread

amwbt

Why is the GUI interface and overall graphics on the Atrix so unsmooth? I'm assuming the cause is the large resolution, and maybe a crappy LCD screen? I'm thinking its more the LCD screen. Since my iPhone 4 has a resolution close to if not the same as the Atrix, and has a PowerVR GPU one model lower than my Samsung Captivate, and its 10x smother than my Atrix. Just don't understand why you would build a phone with so much power and screw it up with an under par LCD screen. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App

Jotokun

Apr 23, 2011
...what are you talking about? I've never seen any unsmoothness on my Atrix, except in the Gallery app when zooming in on high res photos. Everywhere else, its far smoother than my 3rd gen iPod touch, which itself was no slouch.

That said, I use launcher pro instead of Motoblur, so maybe that has something to do with it.

mchimney

Aug 15, 2010
...what are you talking about? I've never seen any unsmoothness on my Atrix, except in the Gallery app when zooming in on high res photos. Everywhere else, its far smoother than my 3rd gen iPod touch, which itself was no slouch.

That said, I use launcher pro instead of Motoblur, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I noticed choppyness with live wallpapers. Also, when i first open the keyboard to type, the first couple of letters don't register so i have to retype that all again.

paravorheim

Mar 10, 2011
Froyo doesn't have gpu acceleration for the ui, or so I've been told. It's far worse on other phones. When gingerbread comes out you'll see a significant difference.

WhyBe

Dec 27, 2008
Why is the GUI interface and overall graphics on the Atrix so unsmooth? I'm assuming the cause is the large resolution, and maybe a crappy LCD screen? I'm thinking its more the LCD screen. Since my iPhone 4 has a resolution close to if not the same as the Atrix, and has a PowerVR GPU one model lower than my Samsung Captivate, and its 10x smother than my Atrix. Just don't understand why you would build a phone with so much power and screw it up with an under par LCD screen. What are your thoughts?

I'm coming from Windows Mobile, so everything on Atrix looks smooth to me :D:p

But seriously, I think it may be a combination of the GUI not being hardware accelerated and whatever software/widgets you've got running in the background.

It's definitely not butter smooth, but it isn't that bad either.

maledyris

Mar 25, 2011
Burnaby
Use a third party launcher, and freeze out the Motoblur stuff. I was also really disappointed when I first saw general navigation around the GUI and saw how choppy it was. Try Launcher Pro, or Go Launcher Ex and get rid of all the preinstalled crapware. It makes all the difference and you'll be much happier with performance.

knigitz

May 8, 2010
Android 2.3 and below do not have any hardware acceleration. Your iPhone has tons of hardware acceleration to make it feel faster (when it's not)

My Atrix feels fast.

amwbt

I'm also coming from a Samsung Captivate which is crap tons smoother. Its not cause of the launcher, nor the lack of hardware acceleration in froyo. It does it with all the launchers. I'm probably just spoiled with my Captivate.

Last edited:

DarkRyoushii

Jan 23, 2011
Melbourne

live wallpaper lag.. really annoys me but then it reminds me how much battery I waste with it enabled and it makes me turn it off again ASAP :p

JBO1018

Dec 25, 2010
Its because the Tegra 2 sucks at everything but playing douchy Tegra Zone games. In other words your SOC was built by a graphics company. So 3d rendering is great but 2d and everything else sucks. Great GPU, very sad and not optimized CPU. I doubt gingerbread will help that much. Sorry guys :(

Edit: I'm no fanboy but my thunderbolt runs buttery smooth at everything and I run multi pic live wallpaper with 7, count it 7 different wallpapers and the 3d cube transition effect. This is with sense and at least one widget on every screen, most have two.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt

Last edited:

EclipseX

May 29, 2007
Quinta do Conde
wtf?? do you know ehat you are talking? Do you see xoom or Lg optimus x2, they also have tegra 2 and they all have smoth graphics.....motorola atrix have problemes....not tegra 2

Exador

Jul 23, 2010
Its because the Tegra 2 sucks at everything but playing douchy Tegra Zone games. In other words your SOC was built by a graphics company. So 3d rendering is great but 2d and everything else sucks. Great GPU, very sad and not optimized CPU. I doubt gingerbread will help that much. Sorry guys :(

Edit: I'm no fanboy but my thunderbolt runs buttery smooth at everything and I run multi pic live wallpaper with 7, count it 7 different wallpapers and the 3d cube transition effect. This is with sense and at least one widget on every screen, most have two.

The thunderturd is an evo with lipstick.

Mossys

Apr 7, 2011
The graphics are not even potentially shown...

Tegra 2 uses a different processing post. Therefor showing a weaker performance on 3D and 2D processing...

Just chill and relax. Enjoy the phone a bit more. Don't expect it to make you breakfast either.

JBO1018

Dec 25, 2010
Its funny yall start dissing on the thunderbolt when I didn't bash the Atrix at all. Everything I said was aimed at the Tegra 2. Then I gave an example of a single core phone that runs way smoother than the Tegra 2 and most likely why that is. I just posted an explanation referring to the topic of this thread. Honeycomb uses some better hardware acceleration so the Tegra does do better on HC but it won't come close to the TI, snapdragon, or hummingbird dual core processors.

But clearly I'm talking to some serious fanboys here so there is no point in trying to state facts.

Edit: As far as the evo with lipstick comment goes I dont see what sense that makes considering the thunderbolt has more RAM and the msm8655 which is a huge leap in speed and efficiency from the processor in the evo.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I believe it's because atrix lacks proper software optimizations which motorola is too lazy to provide.