[Q] Mini Micro-SD Card Reader question

Search This thread

Slarti77

Jan 9, 2011
Hi all,
the Mini Micro-SD Card Reader referenced in accessories is exactly what I've been looking for. I need more storage than the available 24 GIG. I have two questions.
1. Will this device work in the Droid Maxx without additional software? I know that I'll need a tool to access micro SD card and move files around like ES file explorer, but will I need anything else?

Would rooting allow me to "skinny down" and somehow "reclaim some of the 8 gig that is saved for the "os and apps"?

Thx much

Mark

xjack

Feb 21, 2010
System partition is fixed so you only reclaim space there. Sdcard will not increase when you debloat.

OTG support went away with kitkat so if you upgraded you'll need a 3rd party app to mount your sdcard or thumb.

Sent from my XT1080

Slarti77

Jan 9, 2011
Any recommendations on what 3rd party app to use? I've read a little bit and it seems that I will likely need root to be able to mount the SD card. Is this accurate or is there an app that will let me mount the card without needing root.

I'm currently at 4.2.2, but I received a notice that I have an OTA that has been downloaded and is "ready to install" and will update me up to kitkat 4.4. Is there a way that I can permanently make this a manual process? I have not checked "automatically update" but it won't let me turn off the reminder and I don't know how long I can keep delaying it.

Thx

Mark

jkhouw1

Aug 26, 2008
Any recommendations on what 3rd party app to use? I've read a little bit and it seems that I will likely need root to be able to mount the SD card. Is this accurate or is there an app that will let me mount the card without needing root.

I'm currently at 4.2.2, but I received a notice that I have an OTA that has been downloaded and is "ready to install" and will update me up to kitkat 4.4. Is there a way that I can permanently make this a manual process? I have not checked "automatically update" but it won't let me turn off the reminder and I don't know how long I can keep delaying it.

Thx

Mark
Is there any reason you don't want to root? AFAIK you can only disable the OTA notifications if you have root. You can manually delay it forever but most likely sooner or later you'll accidently accept it (I did that on my Nexus 7 at a most inopportune time when I wasn't paying attention to what I was clicking on resulting in a short term brick while travelling)

Also I believe all 4.4 methods like StickMount by chainfire require root.

Slarti77

Jan 9, 2011
Is there any reason you don't want to root? AFAIK you can only disable the OTA notifications if you have root. You can manually delay it forever but most likely sooner or later you'll accidently accept it (I did that on my Nexus 7 at a most inopportune time when I wasn't paying attention to what I was clicking on resulting in a short term brick while travelling)

Also I believe all 4.4 methods like StickMount by chainfire require root.

Guys,
Thanks for the quick replies.

I found something in one of the other threads where two apps were suggested for mounting the sd cards (I believe without needing root) . I believe there were total commander and USB Stick Plugin.

jkhouw1,
As far as rooting, I definitly want to do this, but have just gotten back into this after being away for close to three years, so I need to read up on how to do it to my Droid Maxx, hence why I want to delay...and I'm afraid of doing exactly what you're speaking of....mistakenly hitting the wrong key with the ragware...that's why I was looking to see if there was a way to turn it off so I don't have to keep doing that. I'll see how quickly I can get up to speed and root the phone. Been starting to read up on the tools and what I need to do, but I'm going to move slow. Don't want a brick or broken phone...