Is the Pebble Steel worth it?

Search This thread

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
So, I'm really thinking about buying the Pebble Steel. Is it really worth the $250 though? Also, would you guys say this is the best smartwatch available on the market right now? Any feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

somnambulator

Sep 21, 2010
i can't say it's the best because I've used none others and i can't say u should buy one because i don't know what you're after.

the pebble steel is, imo, a watch-lover's smartwatch. it has the design of a quality watch (besides the cheap bands). i have no interest in having a computer on my wrist, but having a remote screen to view my phone? yes please, and that's exactly what pebble makes. the steel is priced like a typical quality dumb watch. $200-300 is a good price for a well made watch with accurate time keeping and solid build quality. there does not exist another smartwatch that looks like a regular watch, that I can wear with a pair of cargo shorts, a suit, and a tuxedo. hell I don't have a dumb watch I'd wear with all attire. I basically wanted a better watch, and the steel, along with watch apps and the 3rd party pebblebits firmware has given me exactly what I want.

it's not perfect, but app and firmware updates are steady and bugs are being fixed. I don't think I could be any happier with it unless it took standard size bands.

Sent from Tapatalk using my xposed VZW G2 :)

dsmpampis

Oct 21, 2012
Yes it's worth it but better wait a little bit for the new moto 360. They say that the 360 it will cost the same as the Pebble.

Tapatalked with my "refrigerator look" HTC one M8

Reactions: jakereeves31

Thela7

Mar 25, 2012
If know already know what the Pebble is capable of, and want to pay extra for the finishing (I didn't like the first version. It looked more like a gadget toy rather than a watch), then go for the steal.
The Sony one is also pretty cool, but the steal is the best looking (so far)

Sent by smoke signals, then translated to Morse, and digitized by Monkeys.

Memnonama

May 30, 2011
Given how easily my original Pebble's screen gets marked up, the Gorilla Glass on the Steel sounds like a good idea.

That said, I'd also suggest waiting for the Motorola 360. What you can do with the Pebble is (unfortunately) so limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jakereeves31

Feb 8, 2011
Brawley, California
Thanks for all the feedback guys! So I went ahead and bought the Pebble Steel! I figure if I wait for the 360 then I might end up spending the money that I have set aside for a watch on something else. Haha. If I decide I want the 360 later I can just sell the Pebble and pay the difference. I'm an impatient guy. Haha.

corshanpay

Sep 22, 2006
Cleveland, Oh
Thanks for all the feedback guys! So I went ahead and bought the Pebble Steel! I figure if I wait for the 360 then I might end up spending the money that I have set aside for a watch on something else. Haha. If I decide I want the 360 later I can just sell the Pebble and pay the difference. I'm an impatient guy. Haha.

I've found it easier to McGyver my own custom high quality band to cure the cringe I get from the band that came with the device.

http://pic.twitter.com/IhefrWXwHu

Reactions: p0izn

suttaroom

Aug 7, 2011
Shuweikh, KU
know a friend who purchased it thinking it'd look slick.. He is tremendously disappointed. When i saw it it didnt look all that great and the materials used didnt feel great . I have the original pebble and it feels much much better than that..

damngood98

Sep 7, 2009
Detroit
owner of both....i definitely think it's worth the upgrage....feels a lot more solid, looks a bit more professional....and now i see best buy will be carrying them for $229...to me, totally worth it

Reactions: jakereeves31

somnambulator

Sep 21, 2010
I've found it easier to McGyver my own custom high quality band to cure the cringe I get from the band that came with the device.

looks great.

there is a lot of good info at the official pebble forums regarding bands and quality and such. there are a handful of kickstarters making accessories and even watch band adapters allowing for standard sized bands to be used. if I wear out the standard metal band I will probably buy an adapter and find a standard band to replace it. Joe Pesci knows I have enough unused watches to 'steel' a band from.

Belkiolle

Jun 6, 2011
It is definitely worth it.

My dad and I own a jewelry company so I buy all my watches wholesale. I had 42 at last count and I'm starting to think I should see a counselor. I go to the closet to decide what I want to wear and I can make the choice of anything from a cheap Fossil to a Citizen Eco-Drive to a Rolex Deep Sea. I pick my Pebble Steel for regular wear 99% of the time.

That's not to say that the Steel has the same "quality" as the Rolex by any means but for every day wear and use the Steel is actually quite a bit better. It's right there with every watch in it's price segment and matches up quite well even with watches in the $600-700 range.

The only glaring thing I don't like is the band but it's no worse than anything else typical for its price point.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i can't say it's the best because I've used none others and i can't say u should buy one because i don't know what you're after.

the pebble steel is, imo, a watch-lover's smartwatch. it has the design of a quality watch (besides the cheap bands). i have no interest in having a computer on my wrist, but having a remote screen to view my phone? yes please, and that's exactly what pebble makes. the steel is priced like a typical quality dumb watch. $200-300 is a good price for a well made watch with accurate time keeping and solid build quality. there does not exist another smartwatch that looks like a regular watch, that I can wear with a pair of cargo shorts, a suit, and a tuxedo. hell I don't have a dumb watch I'd wear with all attire. I basically wanted a better watch, and the steel, along with watch apps and the 3rd party pebblebits firmware has given me exactly what I want.

it's not perfect, but app and firmware updates are steady and bugs are being fixed. I don't think I could be any happier with it unless it took standard size bands.

If know already know what the Pebble is capable of, and want to pay extra for the finishing (I didn't like the first version. It looked more like a gadget toy rather than a watch), then go for the steal.
    The Sony one is also pretty cool, but the steal is the best looking (so far)

Sent by smoke signals, then translated to Morse, and digitized by Monkeys.
    Given how easily my original Pebble's screen gets marked up, the Gorilla Glass on the Steel sounds like a good idea.

That said, I'd also suggest waiting for the Motorola 360. What you can do with the Pebble is (unfortunately) so limited.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Yes it's worth it but better wait a little bit for the new moto 360. They say that the 360 it will cost the same as the Pebble.

Tapatalked with my "refrigerator look" HTC one M8