[Q] Cannot set phone back to S-ON

Search This thread

HapticThreek

Aug 16, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Hi There,

So I've been following this guide to get back to 100% stock ready to send my phone off for repair.

I'm so close! The rom is back to stock from running the RUU, my bootloader is set back to LOCKED, now all I need to to change S-OFF back to S-ON. The problem is that fastboot won't let me for some reason. I run the command fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 and this is the output I get
Code:
(bootloader) partition hboot signature error
(bootloader) writesecureflag: partitions siganture failed
OKAY [  1.048s]

Any clues how to sort this out? They're supposed to be collecting my phone tomorrow!

Thanks

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
Hi There,

So I've been following this guide to get back to 100% stock ready to send my phone off for repair.

I'm so close! The rom is back to stock from running the RUU, my bootloader is set back to LOCKED, now all I need to to change S-OFF back to S-ON. The problem is that fastboot won't let me for some reason. I run the command fastboot oem writesecureflag 3 and this is the output I get
Code:
(bootloader) partition hboot signature error
(bootloader) writesecureflag: partitions siganture failed
OKAY [  1.048s]

Any clues how to sort this out? They're supposed to be collecting my phone tomorrow!

Thanks

If you set back to s-on with your current firmware version after the RUU you flashed in your last thread, you will get the tampered flag back, just lock your bootloader and send it back s-off, they probably wont even notice.

HapticThreek

Aug 16, 2012
Cambridge, UK
If you set back to s-on with your current firmware version after the RUU you flashed in your last thread, you will get the tampered flag back, just lock your bootloader and send it back s-off, they probably wont even notice.

I thought they might not notice but would rather not run the risk. If s-on will add a tampered flag I'll just follow your advice and hope they don't notice! Its an issue with the bluetooth they need to look at so hopefully they won't even bother looking at the bootloader. Especially seeing as they had the phone a week ago anyway.

Seanie280672

Feb 27, 2012
Halesowen
I thought they might not notice but would rather not run the risk. If s-on will add a tampered flag I'll just follow your advice and hope they don't notice! Its an issue with the bluetooth they need to look at so hopefully they won't even bother looking at the bootloader. Especially seeing as they had the phone a week ago anyway.

First time, most of the time, they just do what they call a software update on it to try and fix the problems, "like any of use cant do that ourselves lol", some people receive their phones already s-off and they will just think one slipped though, better to send it s-off than with the tampered flag, chance are they will just replace the device this time if its still under warranty.

HapticThreek

Aug 16, 2012
Cambridge, UK
First time, most of the time, they just do what they call a software update on it to try and fix the problems, "like any of use cant do that ourselves lol", some people receive their phones already s-off and they will just think one slipped though, better to send it s-off than with the tampered flag, chance are they will just replace the device this time if its still under warranty.

This is what I'm hoping for! It's still under warranty so hopefully they just think I had an S-OFF originally (its still locked!) and fix or replace.

@HapticThreek you have a modded hboot in there!! be careful!!

Don't know how I would have gotten a modded hboot, I flashed from an RUU. Maybe something got corrupted along the way. I'm just gonna follow Seanie's advice and leave it and hope they don't notice (better yet, hope they don't look)!

dougeedug

Sep 11, 2013
St Louis MO
I didn't look super closely at your link but I did see some stuff on there about hboot mods. If it is a custom hboot that was in the RUU (possibly unsigned?) that you flashed while s-off , "writesecureflag3 " will not work because it checks for such things. This is not a bad thing! If you used a hack to circumvent this security check, your next s-on boot up would result in the security check you just forced on finding the rouge hboot and a bricked device only repairable through a j-tag service is what you would be left with!! If you run an RUU for your device from the Dev thread with a fully stock everything (including hboot as a fully stock carrier specific would) "writesecureflag3" should definitely execute successfully and uneventfully. I have returned to stock with s-on for warranty work on the camera and the phone was returned with the same revone exploitable version on it that I sent it in with.