How to change the alert for calendar event?

Search This thread

kmozis

May 28, 2006
Pardubice
How it is possible to set my own melody as an alert for calendar events? It should be in the list of available calendars, but how to mark them to be able to get into the menu. It is not possible to get there without hardware keyboard/touchpad/trackball. Is there any solution?

nanolite

Jun 24, 2010
I'm frustrated with the Samsung Galaxy S' calendar. My important appointments make a little low *blip* sound and that's about it. I tried to use Calendar Snooze, but I can't get it to work. Apparently you should be able to select snooze option from calendar, but no such option is available on my phone. Changing the sounds in the phone settings makes no difference. Any ultra mega hacker who knows how to take control over the calendar notifications?

tonyguinta

Jul 18, 2010
Same problem on T-Mobile Vibrant

I just got a Vibrant (T-Mobile's Galaxy S) the other day and have the same problem. There is no way to change the calendar alert tone on this device. It doesn't even use the default notification tone. It uses its own, but cannot be changed. It seems like maybe an oversight in the program which may have been developed with the assumption that all android devices would have a trackball. I was able to change it on my old G1, but not on the Vibrant.

Hopefully with all the Galaxy S devices being released this week across many carriers here in the US, more people will complain and this will be fixed soon.

shrasmyl

Jul 28, 2010
Custom Calender Alarm needed on Vibrant

I need to be able to set up a distinctive ring/alarm for my calendar events so I can tell by sound when I need to get to another appt.

The G1 had a excellent customizable calender reminder, and I could set more than one reminder for each event. I am used to relying on my phone to remind be when to "head out'. The Vibrant has failed miserably and I have already been late once. This is a HUGE oversight for such a great phone..

3rd party developers - PLEASE work on a customizable calendar multi-reminder system that integrates with the calendar program for the Vibrant.

yc1437

Dec 17, 2007
For rooted phone, u can replace 22_on_time.ogg to other audio file u want (with same file name), 22_on_time.ogg is the audio played by calendar notification. This file located at /system/media/audio/notifications

kmozis

May 28, 2006
Pardubice
For rooted phone, u can replace 22_on_time.ogg to other audio file u want (with same file name), 22_on_time.ogg is the audio played by calendar notification. This file located at /system/media/audio/notifications

Works perfectly for me, thank your for this tip! Finally I can use calendar instead of alarm.

goughymachine

Aug 31, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
What program can we use to delete and copy over the new file? My phones rooted (still feels funny to say that!) and I use astro as a file manager, but it comes up with an error trying to delete file. Is there something better to use on a rooted phone?

Edit: I'm trying android mate, and it's been given su permission, but while it says the file transfer has been successful the file still doesn't appear in the folder! I'm lost (nothing new).

Last edited:

jacob12

Jan 7, 2008

I did this, but now I don't get any sound when I am supposed to........
Is it any restrictions on how big the new file can be?

ProximaC

Oct 27, 2009
Tacoma
I had no success either. I tried making my own ogg file and replacing 22_on_time.ogg with it, and it wouldn't play any sound at all. I tried different sampling rates with no luck.

I then took a sound from the Ringtones folder in system/media/audio/ and renamed it to 22_on_time.ogg and rebooted the phone. My thought was if I used another default sound file it would already be in the right format. Here's where it got weird. It started playing another audio file completely, one of my own files that was in my SD card media/notifications folder. It wasn't one I was playing with or had even opened. It literally just picked a random MP3 format file named SMSNew.mp3 and decided that was my new calendar tone.

In the end I gave up. I replaced the original 22_on_time.ogg file, rebooted, and now I'm back to the original sound.

lgkahn

Mar 26, 2010
londonderry
had no success either. I tried making my own ogg file and replacing 22_on_time.ogg with it, and it wouldn't play any sound at all. I tried different sampling rates with no luck.

I then took a sound from the Ringtones folder in system/media/audio/ and renamed it to 22_on_time.ogg and rebooted the phone. My thought was if I used another default sound file it would already be in the right format. Here's where it got weird. It started playing another audio file completely, one of my own files that was in my SD card media/notifications folder. It wasn't one I was playing with or had even opened. It literally just picked a random MP3 format file named SMSNew.mp3 and decided that was my new calendar tone.

In the end I gave up. I replaced the original 22_on_time.ogg file, rebooted, and now I'm back to the original sound.

1. something wrong with format of your .ogg
2. you cannot replace the ringtone in ringtones it needs to be in the notifications folder. I took the default samsung ogg and copied it to the notification folder and then renamed to 22_On_time.ogg (case sensitive) and it works fine and plays the tone very very loudly.. better than nothing anyway.. someone needs to write an app to change it and convert .mp3 to this..

the default samsung song is 40 or so seconds so much better then the few second default tone. and much louder.

Last edited:

ProximaC

Oct 27, 2009
Tacoma
I took a ringtone from the ringtones folder, renamed it 22_on_time.ogg and placed it into the notifications folder. After rebooting it did not play 22_on_time.ogg, it played a random file from my sd cards media folder.

However, I just noticed in your post you said it was case sensitive. That may be my problem. I will give it another shot.

*EDIT* The case of the file name was indeed my problem. I had a lower case O.

Last edited:

reaubideux

Oct 26, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I know this is an old thread but I had this issue this evening and wanted to contribute what I had to do to fix it.

I had replaced the 22_On_time.ogg file with my own and the proper case sensitivity was adhered to, however, it would still play a random mp3 from the internal SD storage. I tried replacing it with the original and it didn't work (before I realized that a reboot was necessary, so that may be why it didn't work) and fought with it for a couple of hours this evening. In the end, it was fixed after I did the following things:

1) I opened the original OGG in a sound editing app named GoldWave, the audio config for the original was Vorbis, 44100KHz, 128Kbps. For some reason, GoldWave wouldn't let me save my OGG file to this configuration, closest I had was 120Kbps. I copied my audio, pasted it over the original audio and then did a Save-As and GoldWave allowed me to save the "original" to the original's native 128Kbps.

2) When I moved it to the /system/media/audio/notifications location, I first deleted the 22_On_time.ogg file that I'd placed in there from previous attempts so that there was no file whatsoever; rebooted the phone, then moved the ogg file to the proper location, rebooted again and it worked fine after that.

I have no idea what the actual fix was but just wanted to share my findings. Those were the last 2 steps I did before it worked so I'm attributing my success to one of those steps.

Additionally, the weirdest thing I observed was, prior to the steps that ultimately resolved the issue, if I had the phone hooked up via USB, debugging mode w/the SD cards mounted, it played the custom 22_On_time.ogg file. If any of those things was different it would keep playing the mp3 from my internal SD card. I have no idea why.

Hope this helps someone at some point down the road.

Fihlvein

Aug 19, 2010
This is no longer an issue as you can change the calendar tone in Froyo in the calendar options.

Link23

Feb 2, 2007
I also wanted to say THANK YOU guys for this "hack".
The calendar function of my Galaxy S was shi.t until i found this thread.
Tried the Nudnik app but, come on Google every phone on the market has nagging calendar alert, i don`t see why i have to pay for an app to enable repeating alerts.:mad:

This is how I did it:
I have a rooted Galaxy S with Darky`s ROM, BTW great ROM.
I opened a mp3 in Audacity audio editor and exported it as OGG without changing any settings like bit rate.
Copied the ogg to my internal SD and using Root explorer i switched the file system to R/W (read.write) so i can move the file to the file into the /system/media/audio/notifications folder. Renamed the 22_On_time.ogg file to 22_On_time1.ogg and then renamed my ogg file to 22_On_time.ogg (case sensitive name). Switched file system back to R/O (read only) and voila at last a real calendar notifier :D

In your face GOOGLE :D

Siberian Tiger

Retired Senior Moderator / Tiger's Eye
Dec 4, 2010
Piraeus
i also wanted to say thank you guys for this "hack".
The calendar function of my galaxy s was shi.t until i found this thread.
Tried the nudnik app but, come on google every phone on the market has nagging calendar alert, i don`t see why i have to pay for an app to enable repeating alerts.:mad:

This is how i did it:
I have a rooted galaxy s with darky`s rom, btw great rom.
I opened a mp3 in audacity audio editor and exported it as ogg without changing any settings like bit rate.
Copied the ogg to my internal sd and using root explorer i switched the file system to r/w (read.write) so i can move the file to the file into the /system/media/audio/notifications folder. Renamed the 22_on_time.ogg file to 22_on_time1.ogg and then renamed my ogg file to 22_on_time.ogg (case sensitive name). Switched file system back to r/o (read only) and voila at last a real calendar notifier :d

in your face google :d

thank you very much.now i can change the sound any time i want!!!

Kraven_Moorhead

Apr 20, 2013
I am using the SVHD v1.5.2 ROM on my HTC Inspire. All my notifications are in MP3 format. I downloaded Root Browser Lite from the Google app store. I just used that to copy MP3 files from my sd card to /system/media/audio/notifications folder. Then I rebooted my phone and now I can set them or calendar and any other system sound notification. Just remember the space on the system folder is limited to around 85MB, it may verify with your phone so just make sure you have enough space.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastech

webmanoffesto

May 13, 2011
Can't find 22_on_time.ogg

I navigated to that folder but I don't see 22_on_time.ogg. I see many others such as Adara.ogg, Aldebaran.ogg, ect.

Galaxy S GT-I9000
Android 4.1.2
Cyanogen Mod 10.0.0

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am using the SVHD v1.5.2 ROM on my HTC Inspire. All my notifications are in MP3 format. I downloaded Root Browser Lite from the Google app store. I just used that to copy MP3 files from my sd card to /system/media/audio/notifications folder. Then I rebooted my phone and now I can set them or calendar and any other system sound notification. Just remember the space on the system folder is limited to around 85MB, it may verify with your phone so just make sure you have enough space.