Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader for most Xperia devices

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

This will work on:
  • Xperia 2011 devices - Arc, Play, Neo, etc
  • Xperia 2012 devices - S, Ion, T, V, etc
  • Xperia 2013 devices - Z1, Z Ultra, Z, Tablet Z, etc

Special note for Xperia Z1

WARNING!

MAKE TA BACKUP BEFORE UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER!

After unlocking bootloader the camera can not be used on stock ROM!

Relocking bootloader will NOT help!

Just restore TA, and the camera will work again!

if you want to backup the TA or keep ur DRM keys,first root the device and then check this out (this is for Xperia Z but MAY work on Z1)

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!

For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

I'd add what losing DRM keys means, e.g. no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app plus probably most importantly, as asked all the time and all over the place in the T/mint forums: loss of Bravia Engine.

older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
  2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
  3. Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done remotely on a users phone... so thanks a lot to him for helping out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
  • download the fastboot package with usb drivers (alternate drivers if the ones in package dont work OR this)
  • IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
  • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
  • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, extract the above package and point the driver install to that location (usb_driver) folder
  • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
  2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
    First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
  3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
  4. you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
  5. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
  6. You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
  7. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
  8. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
  9. Select 'Open command window here'
  10. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
  11. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
  12. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
  13. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
  14. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
-Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
-Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
(the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia Z)

Relock procedure is posted here

regards,

DooMLoRD

Last edited:

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
With the latest release of Flashtool it is now possible to relock bootloader.

Download the latest flashtool from:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162907

Important

DO NOT USE ANY FTF TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER! THOSE OLD FTFs DO NOT WORK FOR THE 2013 DEVICES!!!

before u relock bootloader u have to be on pure stock kernel (flash only the kernel.sin using flashtool), else the device WILL NOT BOOT after relock

Steps:

1. now start Flashtool and click on BLU button
  2. u will be asked to connect device in flashmode
  3. once u connect the device u will get a prompt to "Relock"
  4. click on it and when prompted disconnect the device

Last edited:

bodega1968

Nov 1, 2012
DoomLord,

read through your simple and clear instructions. only thing i wanted to clarify:

You wrote: [In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.]

Does this the last line mean that there is NO OTHER WAY TO UNLOCK THE BL except via HARDWARE METHODS?

just wanted a final clarification for this, since SlenderMan also has a cool Tutorial, but doesn't clarify this point. You mention it, but perhaps still implying that there's some SOFTWARE method approach to unlocking an Xperia V.

thanks dude,

bodega1968

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

DoomLord,

read through your simple and clear instructions. only thing i wanted to clarify:

You wrote: [In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.]

Does this the last line mean that there is NO OTHER WAY TO UNLOCK THE BL except via HARDWARE METHODS?

just wanted a final clarification for this, since SlenderMan also has a cool Tutorial, but doesn't clarify this point. You mention it, but perhaps still implying that there's some SOFTWARE method approach to unlocking an Xperia V.

thanks dude,

bodega1968

Reactions: pete653

pixellegolas

Aug 31, 2013
Hi! I have 10.4.B.0.569 installed. So I only need to press relock to make it relocked? Do I need to make backups etc or will the phone just reboot with everything intact?

maddboss

Feb 3, 2014
Can I unlock my Xperia S if it says that I can't officially unlock the bootloader. Is there an unofficial way to unlock it?
And if I can't unlock it can I install custom rom somehow?

Last edited:

jackxperiap

Can I unlock my Xperia S if it says that I can't officially unlock the bootloader. Is there an unofficial way to unlock it?
And if I can't unlock it can I install custom rom somehow?

S u can install custom roms without unlocking bootloader :D jus by root and Cwm.. But u can't flash a custom Kernel :thumbdown:.. So first root your device then install Cwm and then u can flash custom roms.. U ll be in stock Kernel only..

Sent from my Xperia P Running MoonWalker V5.5 and Nemesis Kernel V6.3 Using XDA Premium

Reactions: maddboss

maddboss

Feb 3, 2014
S u can install custom roms without unlocking bootloader :D jus by root and Cwm.. But u can't flash a custom Kernel :thumbdown:.. So first root your device then install Cwm and then u can flash custom roms.. U ll be in stock Kernel only..

Sent from my Xperia P Running MoonWalker V5.5 and Nemesis Kernel V6.3 Using XDA Premium

is this cyanogenmod and this slimrom includes custom kernel?

paper13579

Oct 11, 2013
dublin
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
@DooMLoRD can you please make it possible to unlock the bootloader on devices where it says bootloader unlock allowed: no. For example, on the xperia m, you cannot even install cwm without an unlocked bootloader. Can you make this a possibility? Im sure all xperia devices would benefit from this as i believe it is slowing down developement especially in the xperia m. Thank you

Sent from my E15i using XDA Free mobile app

DooMLoRD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2010
Pune
@DooMLoRD can you please make it possible to unlock the bootloader on devices where it says bootloader unlock allowed: no. For example, on the xperia m, you cannot even install cwm without an unlocked bootloader. Can you make this a possibility? Im sure all xperia devices would benefit from this as i believe it is slowing down developement especially in the xperia m. Thank you

Sent from my E15i using XDA Free mobile app

that would mean hacking the bootloader.. and Sony have protected it VERY WELL!!!

the last time this was achieved was for the 2011 devices... in the last 3 years no one has been able to hack that bootloader...

jackxperiap

abumaha

Dec 10, 2011
i thinkl my volume up button damaged

how else can boot to fastboot
wt19i

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Quick tutorial for unlocking & relocking the bootloader for most Xperia devices

this is the official way to unlock bootloader

This will work on:
    • Xperia 2011 devices - Arc, Play, Neo, etc
    • Xperia 2012 devices - S, Ion, T, V, etc
    • Xperia 2013 devices - Z1, Z Ultra, Z, Tablet Z, etc

Special note for Xperia Z1

WARNING!

MAKE TA BACKUP BEFORE UNLOCKING BOOTLOADER!

After unlocking bootloader the camera can not be used on stock ROM!

Relocking bootloader will NOT help!

Just restore TA, and the camera will work again!

if you want to backup the TA or keep ur DRM keys,first root the device and then check this out (this is for Xperia Z but MAY work on Z1)

Warning!

This procedure will wipe the /data partition of your phone, so you will loose all ur stored data, settings. SDCARD will BE WIPED!!!

For Xperia™ devices released 2013 or later (for example Xperia™ Z and Xperia™ ZL), the SD card of your device will be formatted and you will lose all content (for example photos, music, videos) when you unlock the boot loader.

DRM keys WILL be lost forever

I'd add what losing DRM keys means, e.g. no more Music ID/Gracenote within the Walkman app plus probably most importantly, as asked all the time and all over the place in the T/mint forums: loss of Bravia Engine.

older Xperia devices sometimes got issues after unlock of bootloader (BRICK after FOTA update) - you have been warned

why to unlock bootloader?

1. u can flash custom ROMs/Kernels
    2. u dont need to worry if the new firmware can be rooted or not as with unlocked bootloader u can always ROOT ur device
    3. Sony gives sneak-peaks/preview builds of latest OS which requires unlocked bootloaders, as they did with Xperia 2011/2012 line, so who knows may be Sony may give early builds of next android OS ;)

Most of this is taken from lollylost100's his tutorial from ARC thread (all credits for that concise tutorial go to him, i have elaborated on a few things and added device specific changes)

btw i dont have this device, most of this testing was done remotely on a users phone... so thanks a lot to him for helping out!!!

[ before we begin unlocking bootloader ]

• get the IMEI code for ur device: type *#06# in phone dialer to find it out, note only the digits (no dashes)
    • download the fastboot package with usb drivers (alternate drivers if the ones in package dont work OR this)
    • IMPORTANT: if you are using Windows 8 you will need to enable few things to allow driver installation
    • make sure u have a windows PC with USB cable to connect the phone
    • power down ur phone and keeping the Volume Up button pressed connect the USB cable to PC this will trigger FASTBOOT mode and windows will start driver installation, extract the above package and point the driver install to that location (usb_driver) folder
    • once drivers are installed just disconnect cable and power on device

[ how to unlock ] (official way)

1. Go to: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/ and read everything!
    2. At the bottom click 'Start Unlocking the Bootloader'
      First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    3. after u have verified that u can unlock bootloader, scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Continue"
    4. you will get numerous prompts, read all info and if u agree click on "Accept"/"OK"/"Proceed"
    5. finally u will get a "Create Unlock request" page, enter your IMEI (sometimes the last digit needs to be removed for this to work), name and email address
    6. You should now receive your unique unlock key via EMAIL, SAVE THIS KEY SAFELY
    7. Extract fastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar and open fastboot folder
    8. Hold SHIFT and right click on the background of the folder
    9. Select 'Open command window here'
    10. Connect your phone in fastboot mode (turn phone off, hold Volume UP button and plug in USB Cable) [make sure drivers are installed as explained above)
    11. In the cmd windows type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version
    12. If a value is returned (it will return 0.5), it means the phone is correctly connected
    13. Type in fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY and replace KEY with the key which u received earlier.
    14. You're device should now be bootloader unlocked

If this tutorial is too much for you then itskapil wrote a step-by-step guide (and recorded a video also):
    -Instructions: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-xperia-arc-play-neo-pro/
    -Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRH3pC7MhEA
    (the above videos and some steps are for Xperia 2011 devices, but most the steps are same for Xperia Z)

Relock procedure is posted here

regards,

DooMLoRD
    With the latest release of Flashtool it is now possible to relock bootloader.

Download the latest flashtool from:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162907

Important

DO NOT USE ANY FTF TO RELOCK BOOTLOADER! THOSE OLD FTFs DO NOT WORK FOR THE 2013 DEVICES!!!

before u relock bootloader u have to be on pure stock kernel (flash only the kernel.sin using flashtool), else the device WILL NOT BOOT after relock

Steps:

1. now start Flashtool and click on BLU button
    2. u will be asked to connect device in flashmode
    3. once u connect the device u will get a prompt to "Relock"
    4. click on it and when prompted disconnect the device
    if i unlock my Xperia Z Ultra's bootloader ,will all the data will be lost??? or it will be left untouched
    dear ankitsxperiago,
    unlocking your bootloader, in principle does not erase your data (at least the internal and SD card data), unless you do something else besides what is indicated in the device-specific procedures available in xdadevelopers or other websites. This is a process that only 'unlocks' a security measure placed by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, there are some devices (like mine - really sucks) that doesn't allow unlocking, due to some hardware settings. but if your devices indicates that you may unlock it, then all the best.
    cheers,
    bod
    :highfive:

Incorrect, unlocking the bootloader will format the internal storage
    thanks dude i think relocking bootloader is simple compared to unlocking bootloader processor thank you once again
    can lock and unlock done by flashtool
    Yes, you'll need unlock code from Sony and follow instructions in Flashtool.

Good Luck.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk