Fm radio for the Droid 3

Search This thread

sarreq

Aug 31, 2010
this is awesome, but i was wondering if an HDRadio app were possible, as it uses the same frequencies.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Well, wherever it came from, a big drink of brew for posting it and whoever mined it :)

Works great!

jpradley

Jul 6, 2010
New York
It works pretty well on an Incredible running MUIU-1.7.29.0. I'm very happy to have it. But it's a bit raw, compared to the HTC Sense FM radio.

After scanning and choosing a particlar station, I couldn't find a way to assign the call letters to that frequency. While showing the list, Menu will give an option for New, but if you a frequency and then the name, it complains that "frequency already exist (sic)", since it was found to belocally valid by a Scan.

Last edited:

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
I found the app for rooted Droid 2's and it works fine on my Droid 3. Go to this page:
droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/76246-fm-radio-d2.html

Download the zip file and install FMRadio.apk which is in the app folder of the zip archive. You don't need anything else in there. Works fine with no issues, reception seems okay. It allows for 20 presets which you can name and the hardware has some sort of soft mute feature so that instead of hearing static it just gets quieter. It requires headphones to act as the antenna but allows you to switch to the phone's speaker. You could just use a 3.5mm patch cable as an antenna.

Not sure if this is the same app that was posted here or if its older since it was for the Droid 2 but it works fine.

Reactions: pplude

magicelf

Apr 30, 2010
FM Transmission?

Is it possible to transmit to my radio from this phone? I'd like to listen to my music/pandora/etc. through my radio in my car.

magicelf

Apr 30, 2010
No aux and I know I can buy an FM transmitter. Just wondering if there's an app that lets you transmit. Be a whole lot cheaper and easier...

spunker88

Sep 8, 2006
Upstate NY
No aux and I know I can buy an FM transmitter. Just wondering if there's an app that lets you transmit. Be a whole lot cheaper and easier...

There needs to be FM transmitting hardware which is different from receiving hardware. It would be pretty useful if they included FM transmitting hardware in phones. You'd need an antenna but many FM transmitters use the ground wire of the audio cable or car charger as an antenna since FM uses a much lower frequency range than cellular it needs a larger antenna.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is an apk that utilizes the fmradio service in the droid 3 hardware.

enjoy!
    Removed the link cause the file was removed. See op for the .apk
    anyone have the apk they can put up again? Or link from dropbox or something so it doesn't get removed?

Here you go.
    I found the app for rooted Droid 2's and it works fine on my Droid 3. Go to this page:
    droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/76246-fm-radio-d2.html

Download the zip file and install FMRadio.apk which is in the app folder of the zip archive. You don't need anything else in there. Works fine with no issues, reception seems okay. It allows for 20 presets which you can name and the hardware has some sort of soft mute feature so that instead of hearing static it just gets quieter. It requires headphones to act as the antenna but allows you to switch to the phone's speaker. You could just use a 3.5mm patch cable as an antenna.

Not sure if this is the same app that was posted here or if its older since it was for the Droid 2 but it works fine.