HP slate 7 Extreme root tutorial plz!

Search This thread

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
Hey, I just bought a Hp slate 7 extreme and love it but i want to root my tablet. It was rooted using Vroot when my tab is 4.2.2. Now problem is someone or something has triggered the update to 4.3 and now i lost the root access. Tried using Vroot, onesuperclick and even the supertool by Tom but to no avail. There also towelroot but it make my tablet hanged and if i force close, it restarts the tab.

Also heard so much bad thing about 4.4.2 so i rather not up my os. Plz help me in my situation. I have check other threads and couldn't find a solution for this (at least for 4.3) would love a youtube video tutorial.

thank you

hacktrix2006

Jan 15, 2011
Hey, I just bought a Hp slate 7 extreme and love it but i want to root my tablet. It was rooted using Vroot when my tab is 4.2.2. Now problem is someone or something has triggered the update to 4.3 and now i lost the root access. Tried using Vroot, onesuperclick and even the supertool by Tom but to no avail. There also towelroot but it make my tablet hanged and if i force close, it restarts the tab.

Also heard so much bad thing about 4.4.2 so i rather not up my os. Plz help me in my situation. I have check other threads and couldn't find a solution for this (at least for 4.3) would love a youtube video tutorial.

thank you

For starters this is the wrong Forum Thead to post in, it should be in the Q&A Forum.

Second you didn't use search as if you got here : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541784 it will tell you with clear instructions on how to root the TegraTab.

Please insure that your threads are in the right place. I mean no disrespect but XDA have rules for a reason.

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
Ahh my bad, I'll try and be more careful. Now, I have read that link there already and it doesn't work. Also now my situation has worsen in that it got updated to 4.4.2.......I still tried all other methods, Vroot, towelroot, supertool etc . Tried to do the manual fastboot also doesn't work, impact or see no device so stuck over there. Has anyone found a way to root? :(

ToJa92

Jul 22, 2011
toja92.com
If Impactor does not find your device fastboot mode, try another USB port. If that doesn't work, try another computer if possible.
Also, make sure that you are running Impactor as administrator by right-clicking the application and pressing "Run as administrator".

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
I did try other computers and still no avail, even with admin access. Also HP slate 7 extreme is basically a Tegra note 7 not different device. Just few minor changes. If only the fastboot work, i probably be rooted by now. Is there a way to back 4.2.2? like put the recovery 4.2.2 in sd and recover from the loader? would it brick my device? Also i found out about towelroot modstring, is there a specific modstring for hp 7 extreme? would like to try it.

thank you

Last edited:

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD
I did try other computers and still no avail, even with admin access. Also HP slate 7 extreme is basically a Tegra note 7 not different device. Just few minor changes. If only the fastboot work, i probably be rooted by now. Is there a way to back 4.2.2? like put the recovery 4.2.2 in sd and recover from the loader? would it brick my device? Also i found out about towelroot modstring, is there a specific modstring for hp 7 extreme? would like to try it.

thank you
In this case unlock bootloader
Flash TWRP and check if it works, if so flash supersu

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
Hey shaky, thank you for replying. he boot loader is still lock. When device off , I press power n vol up to get into this menu which has fastboot protocol, selected it but nothing happens, then check for driver in impactor, no device detected. So can't use Tom's supertool to unlock bootloader. Also did the command prompt, say fastboot not recognize internal or external etc....

There also a recovery kernel, which leads to a recovery menu that can open zip files, think I can do just flash twrp ?

Thanks

ToJa92

Jul 22, 2011
toja92.com
Hey shaky, thank you for replying. he boot loader is still lock. When device off , I press power n vol up to get into this menu which has fastboot protocol, selected it but nothing happens, then check for driver in impactor, no device detected. So can't use Tom's supertool to unlock bootloader. Also did the command prompt, say fastboot not recognize internal or external etc....

There also a recovery kernel, which leads to a recovery menu that can open zip files, think I can do just flash twrp ?

Thanks

Install the drivers when the menu shows up, don't select anything at all.

Shaky156

Aug 19, 2012
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD

Thanks
Install fastboot drivers then go to your boot loader menu and type
Fastboot flash recovery twrplocation.IMG, this will flash twrp then boot into twrp (recoverykernel) install SuperSU

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for replying. I did all that was suggested and nothing has changed. Problem is that impactor won't detect my device and won't install driver.

Took these pics to show what i'm seeing (left to right)

1) First pic is when tab is off, I power and vol up to get that menu,
2) Second pic impactor can't detect anything.
3) Third pic is if i select Recovery Kernel, a No command show, did power and Vol up to get this recovery menu

Attachments

• IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 269

ToJa92

Jul 22, 2011
toja92.com
What does the Device Manager show? For instance, when the tablet is in the recovery menu, can you see an unidentified device?

EDIT: What operating system are you running? Are you an administrator? Are you running Impactor as administrator?

Last edited:

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
In recovery mode, nothing shows up in device manager

In normal tab mode, it show android phone with subset android composite adb interface. Also there a ? MTP

Sazz

Sep 8, 2007
Update! : I exchange my tab, now its 4.2.2 and just rooted it with vroot. Voila :) surprise that towelroot and impactor still not working....

now that its rooted, is there a way to install cmw/twrp? tried the supertool but no luck with impactor so can't fastboot command.
can i just put cmw or twrp in sd and flash it from the android revocery menu?

thanks

Aug 1, 2013
From the sound of it you are rooted but not unlocked. So, flashing Roms and things will not work until you do that.
However if I am wrong and you have unlocked the boot loader, go right ahead and flash some ROMs. :)

bomblim

Oct 23, 2012
I found off another thread that our HP S7E running kitkat can be rooted with towelroot v1. It's a one-click root method. Just download the apk, install and run it, and the tablet will be rooted! Just take note to install supersu from the play store :)

LILJAMER

Mar 19, 2014
HP Slate 7 Beats Special Edition

Hello new to this thread. Wanted to ask if this root method would work on the HP slate 7 beats special edition, the beats special edition looks very similar to the HP slate 7 extreme, and also the Nvidia Tegar note 7.