[HOWTO]Change to EVRC-B(Improve voice quality)

Search This thread

southern87

This is my first how to here so I know it will sucks but oh well lol.

I saw someone post on general forums about voice quality. For what reason this isn't set to default i don't know.

What this does is enables and changes your Voice codec(unless its called something else) to EVRC-B.

Requirements: Need your MSL #

To get your MSL # you can either call sprint and play dumb(I say i need to reprogram my phone) or since we have root download MSL Reader off the market.

Step 1: Once you have the MSL # go to you dial pad and press ##3282#.
Step 2: You will get a window that says EPST, hit the Edit Mode. This will prompt you for your password. Type in your MSL number there and hit OK.
Step 3: Now your are in the EPST, Go to the Advanced menu.
Step 4: Scroll down till you see Vocoder. Enable this if it not by pressing on it and slecting enable.
Step 5: Below Vocoder is the EVRC-B, do the same thing if it is not enabled.
Step 6:Next setting is the Home Orig and Roam Orig. You want to change these to EVRC-B.
Step 7: Press your menu button, Commit Modifications will appear. Press it to save the changes. This will automatically reboot your phone.

Once it is back up, people should notice a better call quality from you.

Written pretty ****ty huh? lol

hdnet1

Aug 30, 2010
I've heard not all of the towers use all of the codecs.. but I'd think that wouldn't be a problem unless roaming or in rural areas.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using XDA Premium App

fsunoles157

Mar 31, 2011
Philadelphia
www.coreylees.com
Dont mind all the other ignorants thanks for your help youve helped me thanks again

I saw someone post on general forums about voice quality. For what reason this isn't set to default i don't know.

What this does is enables and changes your Voice codec(unless its called something else) to EVRC-B.

To get your MSL # you can either call sprint and play dumb(I say i need to reprogram my phone) or since we have root download MSL Reader off the market.

Step 2: You will get a window that says EPST, hit the Edit Mode. This will prompt you for your password. Type in your MSL number there and hit OK.
Step 4: Scroll down till you see Vocoder. Enable this if it not by pressing on it and slecting enable.
Step 6:Next setting is the Home Orig and Roam Orig. You want to change these to EVRC-B.
Step 7: Press your menu button, Commit Modifications will appear. Press it to save the changes. This will automatically reboot your phone.

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
Tried this on Synergy's latest nightly. It didn't automatically reboot the phone, but I lost signal completely. I'm manually rebooting now, I'm praying that it works properly.

What are the default values, in case I need to change it back?

mitchellvii

Jul 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.executivedecision.biz
Have tried this before and completely lost signal. YMMV.

I am trying to figure out the completely unnecessary use of profanity at the end of your post though. Try to have some class when posting in a forum read by all age groups. Read the Forum Rules regarding use of language which may be offensive to others.

LiquidSolstice

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2008
I ended up booting just fine, got my signal back as well. I guess Synergy just wasn't interested in getting rebooted :p

I'll see if it works, it's about 4 in the morning for me, so I can't really call anyone.

chrischoi

Dec 12, 2010
Mechanicsburg
chrismchoi.blogspot.com
Tried this on Synergy's latest nightly. It didn't automatically reboot the phone, but I lost signal completely. I'm manually rebooting now, I'm praying that it works properly.

What are the default values, in case I need to change it back?

Default Settings:
Step 5: Below Vocoder is the EVRC, do the same thing if it is not enabled.
Step 6:Next setting is the Home Orig and Roam Orig. You want to change these to EVRC.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1140578

Improve CDMA Call Sound Quality via a Codec Change.

A few instances of this Codec change have popped up on XDA, PPCG, and even androidforums. For this reason, I'm unable to give credit to the original source. I have gathered as much data into one place around the subject. There are a few important things to note. This adjustment changes the Codec used to compress the voices of you and your caller across the Cell Network using EVRC-B which is an updated revision to the current CDMA standard EVRC. It has been noted in a few places, that making this change CAN effect your ability to make outbound calls in some roaming situations, including over Network extenders like the AirRave. As always, YMMV and I STRONGLY recommend that you both test this change in your normal use environments as well as keep a general idea of these instructions handy in the event you need to revert to the default settings in an emergency. As always, YOU and YOU ALONE are FULLY responsible for changes to any handset in which these and any modifications are made.

1. With MSL in hand, go to the Phone app and dial ##3282#
2. Click Edit Mode
3. Your "Password" is your Phone's MSL, enter it here.
4. Click Advanced
5. Scroll down the list and note the entries for EVRC-B, Home Orig, and Roam Orig.
6. Change EVRC-B to "Enable"
7. Change Home Orig and Roam Orig to "EVRC-B"
8. Hit Menu, and select "Commit Modifications"
9. Your phone will prompt you to click ok to restart or it will restart automatically.

To reverse the changes, repeat all of the above steps except change the following.
6. Change EVRC-B to "Disable"
7. Change Home Orig and Roam Orig to "EVRC"

Click to learn more about EVRC and EVRC-B

If you have an Airave... this is no good. EVRC-B = No connection.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.