[MOD][CM7/9/10] 160 characters support for SMS

Search This thread

szewc1

Jan 10, 2011
Modifications oryginally shared by theos0o (link to original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591989) and barauna (link to original thread: http://www.ipmart-forum.pl/showthread.php?t=103049).

NEEDS ROOT

I) What it does:
- allows sending sms messages in unicode mode, which means you will be able to use up all 160 characters in single message, whether or not using specific for chosen language diacritical marks. Operation should be similar to 'GSM mode' in Samsung's default Mms app in FroYo 2.2 roms [works in all]
- removes auto-convert to mms if exceeding 480 characters (3 x sms length) [confirmed in Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]
- no smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024) [should work in all apks except Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]
- a little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling [should work in all apks except Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]

II) When / where does it work:
- CM7 based roms - download Mms or MmsCM7.apk
- ICS 4.0.4 based roms - download Mms v4.0.4.apk, MmsICS.apk or ics_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
- JB - download MmsJB.apk or jb_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
- CM10 - download cm10_mms_160char_signed.zip or Mms_4.1.2.apk
- CM10.1 - app bundled with rom is already able to strip unicode (Mms-CM10.1.apk)
- apps are deodexed, but will work with both odexed and deodexed roms

III) How to apply:
- Backup / copy /move your original Mms.apk from system / app. If you have one you might as well backup Mms.odex. Delete them from system / app (putting deodexed = modified app in the place of both odexed .apk and .odex file works well).
- put downloaded apk in system / app
- change permissions to rw-r--r--
- rename to Mms.apk
- tick 'strip unicode' in app settings
- reboot is not necessary

All might be done using Solid Explorer / ES File Explorer / Root Explorer / ADB.

OR

- Flash .zip from recovery

IV) Disclaimer:
- Tested by me on CM7 Alpha 8 by marcellusbe with GSM / UMTS network for Polish language
- CM7 app looks no different than standard one
- ICS app should have additional option visible in app settings, didn't test it
- Feel free to report apps compatibility with different roms/languages
- More info can be found in respective original threads
- sources by theos0o (MMS_160charsmod_v2) in attachements and in original thread

Attachments

• Mms.apk
    795.9 KB · Views: 474
  • Screenshot_2012-04-27-16-43-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-04-27-16-43-55.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,980
  • MmsCM7.apk
    795.9 KB · Views: 528
  • MmsICS.apk
    2.1 MB · Views: 786
  • ics_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 332
  • MmsJB.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 241
  • jb_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
    809.8 KB · Views: 261
  • cm10_mms_160char_signed.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 175
  • Mms_4.1.2.apk
    2.3 MB · Views: 284
  • MMS_160charsmod_v2.rar
    35 KB · Views: 204
  • Mms-CM10.1.apk
    3.1 MB · Views: 192
Last edited:

faizul134

Jun 30, 2012
Dhaka
putting deodexed = modified app in the place of both odexed .apk and .odex file works well)

what does it mean?

szewc1

Jan 10, 2011
putting deodexed = modified app in the place of both odexed .apk and .odex file works well)

what does it mean?

What I meant was: if you happen to have odexed rom, just replace the .apk file, no need to move .odex one :laugh: It will work. But I agree that this sentence was somewhat confusing.

kruzyk

May 1, 2012
Gdańsk
Cześć,

What are the differences between MmsICS.apk (2.05 MB) and ics_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip (2.17 MB)?

I found a bug in the version for ICS by theos0o.
When I want to send a message by going from the phone/contact app (by long press on some person card) this application (MMS apk) turns off.

In addition, it is not possible to send MMSes. Receiving MMSes works fine.

Also the sound of an incoming message is strangely quiet, even though the phone settings is OK (in the "stock" application from Vipers ROM sound was OK).

szewc1

Jan 10, 2011
Cześć,

What are the differences between MmsICS.apk (2.05 MB) and ics_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip (2.17 MB)?

No idea.

I found a bug in the version for ICS by theos0o.
When I want to send a message by going from the phone/contact app (by long press on some person card) this application (MMS apk) turns off.

In addition, it is not possible to send MMSes. Receiving MMSes works fine.

Also the sound of an incoming message is strangely quiet, even though the phone settings is OK (in the "stock" application from Vipers ROM sound was OK).

That's too many bugs to be caused by single apk IMO, something's wrong with compatibility or installation process. Try other mms apks, wiping cache/dalvik, fixing permissions, clearing app's cache / data, ultimately wiping data. Good luck.

Added fresh CM10 4.1.2 mms.apk here and in OP.

Attachments

• Mms.apk
    2.3 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:

kruzyk

May 1, 2012
Gdańsk
I'm curious that ViperS rom is using Massage.apk not MMS.apk and this apk from Vipers rom is different than your MMS for ICS apk.
There is no bubble style, different options in config and it looks different...
Newest Vipers ROM is based on ICS but mayby mms apk was from GB?

Can someone post screenshots from GB version?

I will try to fix mismatches and perform zipalign. I already tried cleaning cache and dalvik cache and it did not help.

/edit: can I push jb or gb mms.apk into ics?

/edit2: I think that your MmsICS.apk is already from JB :) Am I wrong?

/edit3: Oh, and there is one more... I can't install apk manually... I only can flash it from zip. When I try to install it manually I'm getting info that this apk is not installed (I don't know exact translation couse I got this in Polish).

Last edited:

techtechnique

May 1, 2007
Merseyside
Tried all of the ICS edition versions and I'm still only getting 80 characters sending limit on my Acura ICS (4.0.4) P920.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

szewc1

Jan 10, 2011
Tried all of the ICS edition versions and I'm still only getting 80 characters sending limit on my Acura ICS (4.0.4) P920.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I presume you have already chosen 'strip unicode' option in app settings, provided you can see such a thing? What language are you trying to write in? This mod should work with: Greek, Czech, Spanish, French, Polish, Portuguese and Slovak. You can try and talk to theos0o in his thread.

szewc1

Jan 10, 2011
Don't you have an option in message app's settings, encoding mode, sending mode or the like? GSM mode is what you should be looking for.

Sent from swift and flowing nexus

tasosl

Jan 31, 2013
WOOOOOOWWW YOU ARE THE MAN!!! hel yeahhhh
thanks 10000000000000000 times you are the best guy thanks for sharing this and all the people who make this posible!!
my phone: samsung galaxy s duos
input: greek language

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Modifications oryginally shared by theos0o (link to original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1591989) and barauna (link to original thread: http://www.ipmart-forum.pl/showthread.php?t=103049).

NEEDS ROOT

I) What it does:
    - allows sending sms messages in unicode mode, which means you will be able to use up all 160 characters in single message, whether or not using specific for chosen language diacritical marks. Operation should be similar to 'GSM mode' in Samsung's default Mms app in FroYo 2.2 roms [works in all]
    - removes auto-convert to mms if exceeding 480 characters (3 x sms length) [confirmed in Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]
    - no smiley on keyboard, new line support instead (thanks to mikko3024) [should work in all apks except Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]
    - a little bit bigger text message box (when it expands) so you can have a better view of your text, not much scrolling [should work in all apks except Mms.apk and Mms v4.0.4.apk]

II) When / where does it work:
    - CM7 based roms - download Mms or MmsCM7.apk
    - ICS 4.0.4 based roms - download Mms v4.0.4.apk, MmsICS.apk or ics_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
    - JB - download MmsJB.apk or jb_mms_160char_by_theos0o.zip
    - CM10 - download cm10_mms_160char_signed.zip or Mms_4.1.2.apk
    - CM10.1 - app bundled with rom is already able to strip unicode (Mms-CM10.1.apk)
    - apps are deodexed, but will work with both odexed and deodexed roms

III) How to apply:
    - Backup / copy /move your original Mms.apk from system / app. If you have one you might as well backup Mms.odex. Delete them from system / app (putting deodexed = modified app in the place of both odexed .apk and .odex file works well).
    - put downloaded apk in system / app
    - change permissions to rw-r--r--
    - rename to Mms.apk
    - tick 'strip unicode' in app settings
    - reboot is not necessary

All might be done using Solid Explorer / ES File Explorer / Root Explorer / ADB.

OR

- Flash .zip from recovery

IV) Disclaimer:
    - Tested by me on CM7 Alpha 8 by marcellusbe with GSM / UMTS network for Polish language
    - CM7 app looks no different than standard one
    - ICS app should have additional option visible in app settings, didn't test it
    - Feel free to report apps compatibility with different roms/languages
    - More info can be found in respective original threads
    - sources by theos0o (MMS_160charsmod_v2) in attachements and in original thread