[MOD] Dialer (AOSP) to Google Dialer, works with odexed ROM/ART - NOW also themed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

hv6478

Apr 14, 2009
Works perfect on 4.4 with an LG Optimus G

Thanks buddy! :good::highfive:

It does not work on SlimKat Alpha 1.1 from my testing, including a full wipe afterwards as well as cache/dalvik only, tried twice as well.

If it works on houstonn's AOSP, it will probably work on his PA as well but I haven't tested that just yet.

I'm going to try to manually do it and report.

Da Baron

Mar 13, 2010
Hammond, LA.
I have a Sprint HTC One running the latest CM11 build by "kushdeck" and just flashed the deodexed version. Following your steps provided all works flawlessly. Thanks so much for making this available to everyone.
~
Da Baron

T

Thyrus

Thanks you for the reports so far. Glad it works (for most of you).

mushan3420

Feb 22, 2013
Community,

As great as the custom ROMs are for the N5 on Kit Kat, the Google Dialer differs from the AOSP one included in many ROMs in certain aspects:

- uses the "old" 4.3 Phone Icon
- Misses the local search from your dialer app.

In order to help, I have put together 2 versions of the dialer, the teleservices (for phone) and the telephony provider.

Deodexed Version: Included all 3 apps deodexed (dialer, teleservices, telephony provider)
Odexed: Version; Contains APK and .odex files for the 3 apps

GAPPS uploaders are considering whether the Dialer is universal and may include it in their GAPPS in the neat future, for now, we need a seperate flashable zip.

Installation Change the dialer only: (ALWAYS make a backup before you test)
1. Depeding on your ROM, download the ODEX or DEODEX version. I highly recommend the odexed version, that is the one I use currently.
2. Install in recovery.
3. Clear cache/dalvik-cache
4. Reboot
NOTE: Depending on the ROM, you may see a f/c when booting from the com.android.phone apk. If that happens, you may need to WIPE your device and reboot. I have not understood yet why some roms have issues, and others do not. I just recently tested with a dirty wipe from CM11 to another AOSP rom, flashed the ROM, installed the Dialer-mod and it all works fine.

Downloads:

ODEXED Version
DEODEXED Version

Now I am flashing it on my Nexus S.
OK. Works well.
THX!

Showme1

Mar 4, 2013
Tampa
OnePlus 6T
Google Pixel 7
Successfully running in latest slimkat release following the notes instructions in the OP. Just curious if I will be able to dirty flash with next slim release. Thanks for this as I like this feature.

T

Thyrus

Just noticed that BANKS gaaps now include this as well. If mine doesn't work maybe his will help you guys that can't get mine to work.

mushan3420

Feb 22, 2013
Just noticed that BANKS gaaps now include this as well. If mine doesn't work maybe his will help you guys that can't get mine to work.

That is just yours. And I changed the TeleService icon. I don't like an 4.3 icon in 4.4, even though it can't be seen in Google Home.

Last edited:
T

Thyrus

Gotcha. The only thing he does differently is not deleting the aosp dialer.. Which means no FCS for people that had them before. Both banks and I are trying to figure you why it works on most Roms and some others require both dialers...

mushan3420

Feb 22, 2013
Gotcha. The only thing he does differently is not deleting the aosp dialer.. Which means no FCS for people that had them before. Both banks and I are trying to figure you why it works on most Roms and some others require both dialers...

TeleService.apk (com.android.phone) (I will write TS for short.) is the most important apk.

When a call comes, TS in AOSP wakes up Dialer to show the answer button and interface, while TS in Nexus 5 wakes up Google Dialer.

So if the TS points to Google Dialer and works without FC, all the problems are resolved.

If we find that it doesn't work in some ROMs, that means the ROM requires a different TS.

Last edited:
T

Thyrus

TeleService.apk (com.android.phone) (I will write TS for short.) is the most important apk.

When a call comes, TS in AOSP wakes up Dialer to show the answer button and interface, while TS in Nexus 5 wakes up Google Dialer.

So if the TS points to Google Dialer and works without FC, all the problems are resolved.

If we find that it doesn't work in some ROMs, that means the ROM requires a different TS.

true - however, given that my and his script replace the TS from AOSP with the Google TS -> it should, in theory, not matter which ROM. UNLESS there is a lib or something similar that calls a specific TS to work only....

techtium

Jan 15, 2013
Hello. I try your odexed version but doen't work. I'm on Beergang and in Europe. This feature is available only in US ?

genkralyz

Feb 27, 2012
Manila
works with beergang .03 ;) thanks!

Sent from My Nexus⁴

Attachments

• 1384734353081.jpg
    1384734353081.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,576
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I made a flashable zip that works. See the moto link in my signature.

Flash this after a backup. Didn't need to worry about wiping. Just move or delete dialer.apk after you boot with the new dialer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    This really went from being the most convenient zip of Google Dialer IMHO (works better than the PA one for me) to being a work of art as well. I wish more people would theme 4.4.2 GAPPs for KitKat and make them work with as many ROMs as possible. I've noticed (at least a few weeks ago) that the only thing still in pure white is the settings screen. Is that a limitation you haven't been able to theme properly, or is it something still to theme? That and these dialer themes are 100% perfect if that's fixed. I know proprietary is a royal pain to work with, but still I'm curious. You've done some good work. I wish Google knew how to theme so well! Especially since a lot of themed apps or themes have given me crashes, but this one works perfectly.
    I just uploaded the Google Dialer - this time themed dark to compliment my KitKat themes on the market.

Tested and works with CM11 on Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Also works with ART.

DOWNLOAD for Android 4.4.2

Screens:

ini1.png
    peyi.png

jz0f.png
    q94q.png

+100000

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Okay for those of you who are not able to get the new dialer working.

1)Manually copy all three files(6 if you're using the odexed version) from the zip to the appropriate folders in your /system partition.
    2)Set proper permissions for each file
    3)DO NOT delete Dialer.apk. Reboot your phone. If you get FCs reboot again. This time there should no FCs
    4)Delete Dialer.apk from your phone and reboot.

Everything should be working normally! :)
    I'm getting really confused. As, I am new to this flashing stuff (rom's kernel's). I'm on catcalysm with franco r32 and some Xposed modules. I have no idea what odex or deodex is.

Can you guide me through it? can you guide me what packages should I choose?.

The system apps that come with stock ROM are odexed which actually give better performance, while custom roms are deodexed. .

This still doesn't help me. I have the PA gaps which is very much same as stock apps. So which one should I flash? Odex or de odexed.?

Are you on a custom ROM? You say you are. So, there's your answer. ;)