[MOD] Lang characters for hardware keyboard v0.3 [NOR|ESP]

Search This thread

Novek

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
Hi all!

After searching the wide web of the world I didn't find anyone who cared to program the special characters for nordic keyboards (æ,ø and å). The norwegian stock ROM has got these mapped to own keys, but I've never liked to use stock ROMs, so I was stuck with the "long press method".

New! Now Spanish is also supported!

If you screw up your phone trying to adb push, cp -f these files I'm not responsible yada yada yada (nothing wrong should happend, really)

What I've done is taking the modified files from teferi, and added my own editing for the quick keys (as I had to make place for the chars I removed from jkl) and the special chars of course.

Confirmed on my G2 (running the Sense ROM from MoDaCo), but should work for the Desire Z too! Any guinea pigs out there?

Code:
*Norwegian*
version 0.3:
-Fixed issue with , and ; didn't work on hardware keyboard. 

version 0.2:
Quick change to the "Z" button, since "`" is used in command substitutions.
-alt-z is still "^", alt-shift-z = "`"

version 0.1:

-alt+j,k,l = æ,ø,å (alt+shift gives capitol letter). 
- make ".com" a TAB key, as it ought to be
- left softkey is now "\" "|"  "/"
- right softkeys are now "[" "(" "<" and "]"  ")"  ">"
- alt-z is now "^"

Code:
*Spanish version*
Version 0.2
-Corrected filenames for the new files, and included the right "originals".

Version 0.1
[Key] - [Shift + key] - [FN + key] - [Shift + FN + key]

a - A - ! - á
e - E - 3 - é
i - I - 8 - í
o - O - 9 - ó
u - U - 7 - ú
n - N - = - ñ
? - ¿ - " - ¡
. - < - : - >

INSRUCTIONS:
*Add -wwe after "keypad" in the filename for both files if your running a Desire Z based ROM. CM and G2-based will work without -wwe*
- download file
- unzip *.zip
- adb push vision-keypad.kl /sdcard/
- adb push vision-keypad.kcm.bin /sdcard/
- adb shell
- su (if you don't have ro.secure turned off)
- mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p25 /system
- cp -f /sdcard/vision-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
- cp -f /sdcard/vision-keypad.kcm.bin /system/usr/keychars/
- reboot

Btw... backup of original keymapping is included... just rename them without .orig, and follow the procedure above :)

Code:
Guide to make your own keys:
Download a hex editor (i prefer xvi32), open the "kcm.bin", and alter the symbols shown in the attached .jpg. If you wish to alter the "main" char of the key, you can change that in the .kl file with notepad (check the difference between esp and nor to see an example).

Thanks to teferi for the base files :D

Attachments

• dz-esp-v02.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 46
  • keychars.jpg
    keychars.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 333
  • dz-esp-v021.zip
    2 KB · Views: 51
  • g2-nordic_v03.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
I can make files for other special characters if someone wants that... or you could simply HEX-edit the files yourself :D

Great work! But, since I'm not Norwegian, I'm not going to try it :)

However, I'd love to see a modification of the original English Desire Z Sense keymap with just a few modifications.

Here's a picture of the Desire Z keyboard :)

http://www.theunwired.net/media/news/htc_desire_z_front_open.jpg

1) Getting á, é, í, ó and ú by Shift + FN + a, e, i, o, u (I think it's Shift + Alt in the G2 keyboard). Currently I have to long press the vowel key and then touching the screen. Not efficient.

2) Getting ¿ by using Shift + ? , and maybe ¡ by pressing Shift + FN + ?.

Would it be possible?

If you need the original files or whatever, just tell me :)

Thank you in advance.

Novek

Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
I would need to get the original desire z keymapping files as I've just the g2... they are a little different with the non-letter keys.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
Here it is :)

I've just uploaded a file with the two directories, keychars and keylayout.

I think it's interesting that there are several kcm.bin files and several kl files, for different languages, but I don't know how to select them.

Thank you again.

Novek

Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
Actually... You can't keep both ! and "á" at the "A" key.... or at least you can't get the "á" capitol that way...

It would then be a, A, !, á available on that key.

Do you want me to remove the !, or...

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
I don't mind having to long press A to get the Á, I don't use it that often :)

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
Actually... You can't keep both ! and "á" at the "A" key.... or at least you can't get the "á" capitol that way...

It would then be a, A, !, á available on that key.

Do you want me to remove the !, or...

Novek, have you had time to look over the Spanish version?

No rush, just curious. :)

Novek

Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
I've actually haven't had time today but I'll try to find some time tomorrow or wednesday...

Just found a bug in the norwegian mod (the comma button doesn't work) so I'll fix that tomorrow too...

/edit

New version up with the , and ; working... :D

Last edited:

AnyDone

Nov 18, 2010
I would like to state that these files /system/keymap/* and /system/kaychar/* might be affecting the capacitive buttons belove the screen also. This will not brick anyone's phone (probably :p) but will make it hard to do anything unless fixed.

What I understand:
everyone should use only the files that are meant for their specific DZ version and modify that.

I.E. G2 files on Scandinavian DZ renders capacitive buttons useless. And if u dont have adb access nearby it can be hard to do anything :p

Last edited:

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
Novek, I hadn't seen your private message. I already answered and I'm willing to try your alternative files :)

By the way, does anybody know why there is a lot of different files in /system/usr/keychars and keylayout? I mean, there's a vision-keypad.kcm.bin and a vision-keypad-esn.kcm.bin.

It would seem that the esn file could be useful for us Spanish speakers, but I don't know how to use it.

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
Hi Novek.

Thanks a lot for the Spanish version, but I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

I substituted the original files for the ones you have uploaded (I tried both doing it via Root Explorer and following your guide using adb) and when I press Shift + FN + N I still get = instead of ñ. The same with the rest of the keys.

I think I've read somewhere that the Desire Z uses the vision-keypad-wwe.kcm.bin and vision-keypad-wwe.kl file instead of the ones without wwe, could that be it?

Novek

Feb 19, 2008
Tønsberg
I would assume that you can just rename the files I posted...

/edit

If it works after renaming to wwe, I'll change the uploaded files..

I'll also re-do the norwegian keymapping with the DZ-files tomorrow - removing the files for G2 now.

Last edited:

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
I would assume that you can just rename the files I posted...

/edit

If it works after renaming to wwe, I'll change the uploaded files..

I'll also re-do the norwegian keymapping with the DZ-files tomorrow - removing the files for G2 now.

Takk veldig mye!

:) I just renamed the files and it worked. Thank you very much :)

Edit 1. Mmm.. it worked at first, but now when I use Shift+FN+key I get Á, É, Í... instead of á, é, í.

Edit 2. Nevermind... :D :D I get the capitalized version when the autocorrection kicks in, at the begining of a sentence :)

Last edited:

daveeer

Feb 15, 2010
?

Hi!
Im Hungarian so i am very interested on this application. lots of time I need áéóöőüű!!! :eek: Im a begginer in the android world. :rolleyes:

Could everyone help for me pls!

I wanna know is this appl. works in the original ROM or not?
And could you write a step by step guide for the installation?

Bests, David!

reycat

Sep 14, 2007
Hi again, Novek! Just noticed that my SYM key is now working like a shortcut key When I press it, I get the "Keyboard shortcuts: Would you like to assign a shortcut to the hardware keys?" screen.

Could you make another version with this fixed? Thank you in advance :)

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
Im Hungarian so i am very interested on this application. lots of time I need áéóöőüű!!! :eek: Im a begginer in the android world. :rolleyes:

Could everyone help for me pls!

I wanna know is this appl. works in the original ROM or not?
And could you write a step by step guide for the installation?

In the first posting, it pretty much is a step-by-step guide. Is there any particular part that's confusing you ? Don't be afraid to ask specific questions about things. It's not dumb to ask questions, it's dumb to just try something when you don't understand what you're doing and it could mess up your phone ! :)

Yes, as far as I know this should work with the original ROM.

jubilleum

Mar 4, 2010
Érd
It's not really clear for me, how can I make my own layout?
So which file included "which key is which letter" table, and how can i edit it?