Is there a way to root the Note on GB without rolling back?

Search This thread

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
It seems like a question which may be answered somewhere, but while trying to research and find my way out of a bricked phone, I realized there are solutions that exist within this forum, but are not widely viewable and it helps to ask again.

I know the most popular way to root a GB ROM is to rollback to an older version and then root it. But I have bricked my phone once due to ICS and would really like to retain the stock GB configuration with my new phone. So, is there a way I can root my phone while keeping the same stock GB ROM that came installed on the phone and the modem?

Please do not suggest how easy it is to root by rolling back or installing a deodexed pre-rooted ROM - I have done that with my old phone and I know how easy it all is. I just want to retain my stock GB confirmation and root it. Thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
It seems like a question which may be answered somewhere, but while trying to research and find my way out of a bricked phone, I realized there are solutions that exist within this forum, but are not widely viewable and it helps to ask again.

I know the most popular way to root a GB ROM is to rollback to an older version and then root it. But I have bricked my phone once due to ICS and would really like to retain the stock GB configuration with my new phone. So, is there a way I can root my phone while keeping the same stock GB ROM that came installed on the phone and the modem?

Please do not suggest how easy it is to root by rolling back or installing a deodexed pre-rooted ROM - I have done that with my old phone and I know how easy it all is. I just want to retain my stock GB confirmation and root it. Thanks.

That's all fine and dandy, but you still haven't told us which Rom is currently running your Note? How do you expect anyone to answer your question without that info?

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
That's all fine and dandy, but you still haven't told us which Rom is currently running your Note? How do you expect anyone to answer your question without that info?

:) Sorry, I thought posting from the Note includes my signature, which has the info. about the ROM and kernel.

Anyway, I guess people on the Note do not see the signature in the xda app, so here are the details:

Stock GB ROM 2.3.6.7 XXLA6
Kernel: XXLA6
Modem: XXLA4

I am located in the US. By the way, I had XXKKA when I got the phone and then it got updated to the version above. I tried Google but didn't find where the firmware was originally from.

Last edited:

bloodyhippo

Oct 23, 2010
I have a rather complicated method in mind.

What I understand your requirement is : you want to retain your Stock GB ROM (most probably data as well, which could be the reason behind the reluctance to flash another GB ROM)

What if you:
1. flashed a CF-rooted GB kernel, and made a CWM backup(the ROM would still not be rooted);
2. carried out the roll-back procedure to get back to your current ROM with root but no data, and
3. restored just /data from CWM?

I believe stock GB ROMS are non-wipe, so you shouldn't have a problem. Since your current ROM is not directly rootable, I'd say there isn't any method to just root it.

Right, Chasmodo? :)

Reactions: incisivekeith

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Last edited:

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009

What I understand your requirement is : you want to retain your Stock GB ROM (most probably data as well, which could be the reason behind the reluctance to flash another GB ROM)

What if you:
1. flashed a CF-rooted GB kernel, and made a CWM backup(the ROM would still not be rooted);
2. carried out the roll-back procedure to get back to your current ROM with root but no data, and

I believe stock GB ROMS are non-wipe, so you shouldn't have a problem. Since your current ROM is not directly rootable, I'd say there isn't any method to just root it.

Thanks, but I want to stay away from CF kernels too, as they introduce the triangle and raise the binary flash counter.

I am not married to the data on my device, as I don't have much right now.

Any other ideas?

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
I have an even better idea: how about an upgrade while rooting?
Use this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25285584&postcount=3

Download LC1 Rom and follow the instructions from the above post.

P.S. Signature is pretty much invisible if you access XDA from your phone.

P.P.S. If you run into a bootloop after flashing follow this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26460335&postcount=4

Thanks, again. It seems like there is no way I can retain my stock GB ROM and modem. The concern with flashing any other version, such as LC1, is that I will go away from the originally installed ROM, and when there is an ICS update available for my version of GB (LA6), I may not be able to upgrade it using Kies or OTA. Is that true?

The first link you provided has a reference to CF kernel, which will introduce the the triangle and raise the binary counter. Is there any way around that?

And, is there anything I can do to avoid the bootloop?

How come LA6 is assigned to a ROM from Russia as well as Open Europe? I thought the characters "LA6" were assigned to merely one country/region.

Last edited:

tknguyencsu

Mar 3, 2010
Diamond Bar
www.csupomona.edu

If you have a GB rom you can try the procedure in the following website:

http://rootgalaxynote.com/category/galaxy-note-root/

You can then obtain CWM from the following site:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1329360

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
I have already rooted my phone using the LA6 ROM from bodivas's post - the same method I used for rooting my first Galaxy Note.

How do I install a custom recovery kernel? Which kernel has the least issues?

Last edited:

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
I have already rooted my phone using the LA6 ROM from bodivas's post - the same method I used for rooting my first Galaxy Note.

Heh, I already told you in my previous post.:)
Go to Chainfire's kernel thread and download CF-Root LA6. Extract the tar file, and flash it using Mobile Odin.
That way you don't get the triangle, and don't trigger the binary counter.

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
Go to Chainfire's kernel thread and download CF-Root LA6. Extract the tar file, and flash it using Mobile Odin.

Do you still get the triangle with the cf kernel? No one responded for a long time last night so I flashed the Abyss 4.2 kernel, but I'll switch to cf kernel if it's better.

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Do you still get the triangle with the cf kernel? No one responded for a long time last night so I flashed the Abyss 4.2 kernel, but I'll switch to cf kernel if it's better.

No. You do not trip the flash counter when you use MobileODIN..... ever. And if you want to stay as stock as possible, use CF-Root.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

hobo28

Mar 21, 2011
I followed the instructions on the Galaxy Note Root website then the triangle was annoying me so I used Triangle away to get rid of it.

It seemed by far the easiest way after having read loads of different ways of doing it.

chasmodo

Dec 28, 2011
Novi Sad
Anyone?

No specific benefit, it all comes down to user preference.
I never had much luck when testing Abyss, it kept draining my battery.
However, many users like it and report great battery life. Also, Abyss
can be overclocked.
CF-Root is closest to stock of all kernels. It's stable, just a tad slower
and easied on the battery.

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
Anyone?

Sorry for the delay. Chas is right. There's no specific benefit to using CF-Root. However, CF-Root is a completely stock kernel with only root and SuperSU added. So technically, it's just as stable as an unrooted stock kernel. When compared to elaborate kernels with overclocking, undervolting, boot scripts, added governors, etc., CF-Root can actually be a significantly more stable option for those in need of a rooted kernel. In addition to CF-Root, there are also kernels based on CF-Root. For example, although built from source instead of being a modified stock kernel, the new Franco kernel is largely based on CF-Root 5.3. As a matter of fact, they are so similar that even Chainfire's own CWM Manager app detects the new Franco kernel as CF-Root 5.3.

So you see, your options are vast. You're not limited to Abyss & CF-Root, but CF-Root is one of the best options available.

incisivekeith

Jan 27, 2009
No specific benefit, it all comes down to user preference.
I never had much luck when testing Abyss, it kept draining my battery.
However, many users like it and report great battery life. Also, Abyss
can be overclocked.
CF-Root is closest to stock of all kernels. It's stable, just a tad slower
and easied on the battery.

I am still confused whether the cf root causes the yellow triangle or not, as someone said in this thread that the triangleaway app removes the binary count, but I didn't get an impression the app removes the triangle, too.
Isn't there anyway I can flash the cf root kernel and not have the triangle and the increased binary count?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What if you:

I have an even better idea: how about an upgrade while rooting?
    Use this method:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25285584&postcount=3

Download LC1 Rom and follow the instructions from the above post.

P.S. Signature is pretty much invisible if you access XDA from your phone.

P.P.S. If you run into a bootloop after flashing follow this:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26460335&postcount=4

If you have a GB rom you can try the procedure in the following website:

http://rootgalaxynote.com/category/galaxy-note-root/

You can then obtain CWM from the following site:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1329360

No. You do not trip the flash counter when you use MobileODIN..... ever. And if you want to stay as stock as possible, use CF-Root.