Stock Android 4.3 'Android OS' permanent wakelock

Search This thread

andrewf403

Jul 4, 2007
Odessa
Looking at some XDA and Reddit posts, small set of users (my Nexus 4 including, unfortunately) experiencing some sort of bug with stock not rooted Android 4.3 after OTA on all range of Nexus devices.

The bug is Android OS holding device awake all the time and not letting it into deep sleep. It looks like it has not huge impact on battery life, but still it is abnormal. Rebooting devices, for me, curing this, but only for a day or two, after a few days wakelock makes its come back.

Unfortunately WakeLock Detector does not show who is guilty, looks like it is in the kernel. I just have bought BetterBatteryStats, and will look at its data tomorrow. What WLD does show is that my Nexus 4 had 0:00 of deep sleep today:

2013-08-04%2014.48.47.png

Here is what Android's battary stats looks like:

2013-08-04%2014.53.38.png

And here is what is should look like and does look like on my 2012 Nexus 7, that is unaffected by this. And stats looks the same for a few days after I reboot my Nexus 4, before wakelock occurs again:

Screenshot_2013-08-04-17-54-27.png

I have to assume that it has nothing to do with connectivity, because same thing happens even if I disable wifi and mobile data entirely.

Here is a list of topics about the same issue I could found, but they only have questions, not answers.

Android Police's review of 2013 Nexus 7: http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-08-02-16-14-17.png
XDA thread about another Nexus 4: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388072
Reddit thread about Nexus 4: http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1jk7bz/android_43_android_os_battery_issues/
Reddit thread about 2012 Nexus 7: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/1jnoqu/2012_has_anyone_else_had_similar_problems_since/
UPD: one more thread about 2013 Nexus 7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2394813
UPD: one more Nexus 4 thread http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1kck8k/android_os_is_consuming_a_lot_of_battery/

Unfortunately, I also do not have any answers (yet). The purpose of this post is gather all the info I've found in one place, and maybe rise the awareness about this.

Update:

Ok. I had BetterBatteryStats on my phone for 30 minutes, and this whole 30 minutes PowerManagerService held wakelock itself. So, it safe to assume that it is an offender.
2013-08-04%2015.22.11.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-04-17-54-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-04-17-54-27.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 3,095
Last edited:

mlj11

Sep 7, 2010
Hi, I saw your reply on this thread.

I read some speculation somewhere that the wakelocks might be caused by the device continually trying to poll for location, and apparently this behaviour could be corrected by the latest version of Google Play Services v3.2.25. I don't see the wakelocks now after upgrading to it earlier today, however this could also be because I rebooted my phone... Nevertheless I'm still not getting great screen-on time, just about 3.5 hours compared to other people's 5+ hours.

What's your version of the app? If you don't have 3.2.25 you can either download it directly (Android Police has put up a copy of the apk, but it might not be a Nexus 4-specific one) or download a more recent version of Play Store and wait for it to update Google Play Services automatically.

I'll report back here if I notice any more changes in my phone.

andrewf403

Jul 4, 2007
Odessa
Hi, I saw your reply on this thread.

I read some speculation somewhere that the wakelocks might be caused by the device continually trying to poll for location, and apparently this behaviour could be corrected by the latest version of Google Play Services v3.2.25. I don't see the wakelocks now after upgrading to it earlier today, however this could also be because I rebooted my phone... Nevertheless I'm still not getting great screen-on time, just about 3.5 hours compared to other people's 5+ hours.

What's your version of the app? If you don't have 3.2.25 you can either download it directly (Android Police has put up a copy of the apk, but it might not be a Nexus 4-specific one) or download a more recent version of Play Store and wait for it to update Google Play Services automatically.

I'll report back here if I notice any more changes in my phone.

Location related wakelock are reflected in Android System and Google Services in the Android's battery stats, and as NLP (and some others) in the BetterBatteryStats. They account for about 1 hour of awake in a day. And they actually DO something.

This wakelock unfortunately does not show in Partial Wakelocks statistics in BetterBatteryStats, so I think it occurs somewhere deep in kernel.

If you use Google Now, or some other location based apps like Aviate, 3.5 hours of screen time is great. I do not turn off Wi-Fi, even when it is not available, use Google Now (without location history). 3 hours of screen on is what I expecting as a best case scenario.

Unfortunately, at days then 'Android OS' wakelock happens it nowhere near 3 hours.

mlj11

Sep 7, 2010
So you're saying that location polling only affects "Android System" and "Google Services" wakelocks. Ok, I didn't know that.

But I did note that my "Android OS" wakelocks have now stopped. Although I cannot say whether the update to Google Play Services / Google Play Store had anything to do with it, or whether it was simply because I rebooted my phone. Do you know for sure that Play Services has no effect in this respect?

And yes, I do use Google Now and also Field Trip.

In any case, I'm also noticing that my battery drains at a much faster rate (as compared to 4.2.2) when I have my phone turned on.

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
Location related wakelock are reflected in Android System and Google Services in the Android's battery stats, and as NLP (and some others) in the BetterBatteryStats. They account for about 1 hour of awake in a day. And they actually DO something.

This wakelock unfortunately does not show in Partial Wakelocks statistics in BetterBatteryStats, so I think it occurs somewhere deep in kernel.

If you use Google Now, or some other location based apps like Aviate, 3.5 hours of screen time is great. I do not turn off Wi-Fi, even when it is not available, use Google Now (without location history). 3 hours of screen on is what I expecting as a best case scenario.

Unfortunately, at days then 'Android OS' wakelock happens it nowhere near 3 hours.

So you're saying that location polling only affects "Android System" and "Google Services" wakelocks. Ok, I didn't know that.

But I did note that my "Android OS" wakelocks have now stopped. Although I cannot say whether the update to Google Play Services / Google Play Store had anything to do with it, or whether it was simply because I rebooted my phone. Do you know for sure that Play Services has no effect in this respect?

In any case, I'm also noticing that my battery drains at a much faster rate (as compared to 4.2.2) when I have my phone turned on.

Possible answer here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44361765

Hope it helps.

:good:

flintdragon

Aug 25, 2010
I've recently have this issue as well with "Android OS". Luckily I can still make it through the day easily but annoyed this kind of stuff still happens. I got the latest Google Play Services yesterday and still have this issue today after a full charge. Will reboot and see what happens I guess.

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
I've recently have this issue as well with "Android OS". Luckily I can still make it through the day easily but annoyed this kind of stuff still happens. I got the latest Google Play Services yesterday and still have this issue today after a full charge. Will reboot and see what happens I guess.

I've been seeing this on my Galaxy Nexus with AOSP 4.3 as well. It looks like this patch might be relevant: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/e6771c41e8ae905a616f3fd369d0eacfcd2003b9

andrewf403

Jul 4, 2007
Odessa
I've been seeing this on my Galaxy Nexus with AOSP 4.3 as well. It looks like this patch might be relevant: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/andr...mmit/e6771c41e8ae905a616f3fd369d0eacfcd2003b9

It looks relevant indeed. Although, I would not call the drain "rapid". I'm now looking close to my device statistics and try to pinpoint exact moment this lock occurs to find the cause.

If it is indeed caused by concurrent condition in PowerManagerService there is not much to do, but flash another, patched, ROM. But I eager to stay on stock.

nosch

Feb 15, 2011
I was having the same problem with Android OS keeping my nexus 4 awake. It turns out the problem was using a wireless charger. If I wirelessly charged overnight my phone would never go into deep sleep when I took it off the charger. I went back to using the usb charger and the problem has gone away. I don't know if you are wirelessly charging but it did the trick for me.

xramonz

Dec 30, 2010
I was having the same problem with Android OS keeping my nexus 4 awake. It turns out the problem was using a wireless charger. If I wirelessly charged overnight my phone would never go into deep sleep when I took it off the charger. I went back to using the usb charger and the problem has gone away. I don't know if you are wirelessly charging but it did the trick for me.

confirm exactly the same trouble.
usb charger solves this problem for a while

andrewf403

Jul 4, 2007
Odessa

It's documented problem about wireless charger https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/c4HRzEUNmFk/geRlvQRtSPoJ
Looks like it was there since 4.2.2 and nobody cared to patch this in 4.3.

Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with my case. I do not own a wireless charger and the name of the wake lock is different. When it is related to charger it is PowerManagerService.WirelessChargerDetector keeps device from sleep. In my case it is less specific PowerManagerService.Wakelocks

Reactions: xramonz

zerohunk

May 15, 2012
Mumbai
Realme 7 Pro
I have the same problem of android os keeping phone awake on my nexus 4 .. I cant go back to 4.2.2 coz i face notification delay prob on 4.2.2 so i am stuck up with battery drain on 4.3 :( .. all os updates seem to have some or the other bug! really annoyed ... maybe i should have sticked to my htc one x+ .. atleast it dint hav any probs as such :(

Calebz

Jan 5, 2009
I have the same problem of android os keeping phone awake on my nexus 4 .. I cant go back to 4.2.2 coz i face notification delay prob on 4.2.2 so i am stuck up with battery drain on 4.3 :( .. all os updates seem to have some or the other bug! really annoyed ... maybe i should have sticked to my htc one x+ .. atleast it dint hav any probs as such :(

I have been having the same issue . I finally dealt with it last night after flashing multiple ROMs and kernels. I went back to OTA 4.3/rooted/twrp and flashed from the updated .84 modem back to the previous .48 modem. Went back to only losing ~4% overnight. The problem appears to be the qualcomm modem driver. Additionally, I am mostly seeing this problem from people outside the US.

Heritz

Mar 21, 2011
www.dannyherran.com
I have been having the same issue . I finally dealt with it last night after flashing multiple ROMs and kernels. I went back to OTA 4.3/rooted/twrp and flashed from the updated .84 modem back to the previous .48 modem. Went back to only losing ~4% overnight. The problem appears to be the qualcomm modem driver. Additionally, I am mostly seeing this problem from people outside the US.

What I also tried, that didn't work at all, was stopping all running services during an Android OS wakelock. Even with all the services stopped and the RAM cleared, the wakelock didn't stop at all. So, it means the drain comes directly from the OS/drivers/etc, not any running app. In fact, after 2 factory resets, 1 reflash and keeping my phone completely stock for days, the Android OS wakelock kept occurring. Even if you don't sign-in into your Google account, the wakelock will still be there eventually draining all your battery.

I will have to give the old modem a shot.

andrewf403

Jul 4, 2007
Odessa
So, somewhere here, on XDA, I read suggestion to clear cache (Settings -> Storage -> Tap on 'Cache' and then 'Yes') and then reboot.

I did this on Friday and to date wakelock did not return. I do not know did this really help. May be it was just a coincidence, or maybe this nasty wakelock will return, but this procedure is easy and harmless, so maybe it is worth to give it a shot.

jong31

Nov 25, 2011
Same Problem

I just got my nexus 4 a week ago and I have been having this problem ever since I got it. It seems to be an issue for me no matter what rom/kernel/radio I flash. I've also tried complete factory image flashes of 4.2.2 and 4.3 with radio and it has no effect on this issue. I am very discouraged because I love this phone other than that problem.:(

sofratuzu

Aug 19, 2013
So, somewhere here, on XDA, I read suggestion to clear cache (Settings -> Storage -> Tap on 'Cache' and then 'Yes') and then reboot.

I did this on Friday and to date wakelock did not return. I do not know did this really help. May be it was just a coincidence, or maybe this nasty wakelock will return, but this procedure is easy and harmless, so maybe it is worth to give it a shot.

Nothing else on the forums worked for me so as a last chance, i tried this solution and it worked. Well, sort of. I did this last friday and afterwards android OS battery usage dropped from around 25% to 8%. Also in Wakelock Detector, i saw that my CPU was no longer awake all the time. But unfortunately, as of this morning, problem reappeared. I tried to erase cache again but it didn't work.

Is this happened to you as well?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Looking at some XDA and Reddit posts, small set of users (my Nexus 4 including, unfortunately) experiencing some sort of bug with stock not rooted Android 4.3 after OTA on all range of Nexus devices.

The bug is Android OS holding device awake all the time and not letting it into deep sleep. It looks like it has not huge impact on battery life, but still it is abnormal. Rebooting devices, for me, curing this, but only for a day or two, after a few days wakelock makes its come back.

Unfortunately WakeLock Detector does not show who is guilty, looks like it is in the kernel. I just have bought BetterBatteryStats, and will look at its data tomorrow. What WLD does show is that my Nexus 4 had 0:00 of deep sleep today:

2013-08-04%2014.48.47.png

Here is what Android's battary stats looks like:

2013-08-04%2014.53.38.png

And here is what is should look like and does look like on my 2012 Nexus 7, that is unaffected by this. And stats looks the same for a few days after I reboot my Nexus 4, before wakelock occurs again:

Screenshot_2013-08-04-17-54-27.png

I have to assume that it has nothing to do with connectivity, because same thing happens even if I disable wifi and mobile data entirely.

Here is a list of topics about the same issue I could found, but they only have questions, not answers.

Android Police's review of 2013 Nexus 7: http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/nexusae0_Screenshot_2013-08-02-16-14-17.png
    XDA thread about another Nexus 4: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2388072
    Reddit thread about Nexus 4: http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1jk7bz/android_43_android_os_battery_issues/
    Reddit thread about 2012 Nexus 7: http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/1jnoqu/2012_has_anyone_else_had_similar_problems_since/
    UPD: one more thread about 2013 Nexus 7 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2394813
    UPD: one more Nexus 4 thread http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus4/comments/1kck8k/android_os_is_consuming_a_lot_of_battery/

Unfortunately, I also do not have any answers (yet). The purpose of this post is gather all the info I've found in one place, and maybe rise the awareness about this.

Update:

Ok. I had BetterBatteryStats on my phone for 30 minutes, and this whole 30 minutes PowerManagerService held wakelock itself. So, it safe to assume that it is an offender.
    2013-08-04%2015.22.11.png

Possible answer here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=44361765

Hope it helps.

:good:
    Also seeing this with my Nexus 4. Reboot doesn't do much at all for me.

I've found a dodgy workaround - so long as the phone is awake when you remove it from the charger it seems the wakelock doesn't occur.

If you remove it from the charger while it is attempting (unsuccessfully) to sleep, you need to unlock it and place it on the charger, remove it from the charger, place it on the charger (this time it will give the 'i'm charging' chime, the first time it didn't), then remove it from the charger.

Both of these seem to stop the wakelock from occurring when you are on battery, but don't stop the bad battery drain after the phone gets to 100% on the charger, rendering the charger... well, ... somewhat less than good.

Mine is a Nexus 4, hardware version rev_11 but with the rubber nipples on the back.

What hardware version are others seeing this with? There were some wireless charging fixes with rev_12 which resulted in better compatibility with the Nokia Qi chargers, so there may be some correlation to this bug.
    Hi chrisbo4,
    That application called "Safe Charge" seems to be (according to the description) for a different wakelock problem. From reading different articles, it seems that there are two problems with wakelocks. One of them is that the phone doesn't wake up after a charge, the other is that it doesn't go to sleep, that is the one we are having.

Maybe what I am going to write is purely superstition, but it has been my experience. Five weeks ago I was using the method of turning the screen on before unplugging the phone and it didn't work (well, it worked for less than a week). What I did back then was I turned the screen on and then unplugged without even using the phone.

What I am now doing is turning the screen on and using the phone a little bit to browse, open G+, ... I mean, turn it on, use it for half a minute or a minute, then I unplug it and I continue using it for another half a minute. This has worked for me the past month and I still don't have the not sleeping issue I had before.

Yes, I now it may sound a little (or quite a lot) stupid, but it has worked for me. Maybe in three days time it will not work, then I will say it here. Good luck and I hope someone finds a real solution.