[Q] How to I uninstall/remove Superuser.apk or Unroot

Search This thread

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Hi all,

I just did a System Level root here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1505062 and it was successful. It didn't add flash counters which is why I chose this method.

I was able to install Superuser and Titanium Backup.

However I need to return the phone for exchange because this one is currently defective (charger issues).

Now I'm trying to unroot and restore to defaults. First I uninstall Titanium backup which was easy. Then now I can't UNinstall Superuser.apk. I look for guides and found that I need to download Terminal Emulator, enable root then run these commands:

Code:
su
rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
rm -r /system/bin/su

However, when I run this it gives me this error:

Code:
#rm -r /system app Superuser.apk
rm failed for Superuser.apk, Read-only file system

So yeah, it won't delete and I can't return it with Superuser installed in there :(

Is there a different method to just download the official restore .tar file from Samsung and just restore it that way using odin. If there is, where can I find that .tar file?

Please help, I only have a few hours before I can return this :(

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: dextroz

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
Just an update (I'll just reply to myself since I found a solution)

I was able to delete the Superuser.apk,busybox,su by following this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7386761&postcount=2

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
cd /system/app
rm Superuser.apk
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

However my device is still rooted. Although Bestbuy/AT&T might not detect it, Samsung probably will .. so warranty can still be voided.

Anyway, is there way to unroot easily?

I'm guessing that using the official .tar file from samsung ... will fix this.

Where can I find that file?

THanks again!

jpeg42

Jul 22, 2010
Oregon
How is Samsung going to link your Best Buy return back to you? Since you are within 30 days, your return will be fine. I think the concern is the flash counter when sending in for warranty repairs after the 30 day return window.

keplenk

Aug 27, 2008
How is Samsung going to link your Best Buy return back to you? Since you are within 30 days, your return will be fine. I think the concern is the flash counter when sending in for warranty repairs after the 30 day return window.

Thanks! Point taken. But yup .. I guess I was talking about future issues when I will have to deal with Samsung (hopefully not).

So .. is there a restore .tar file that samsung provides?

Thanks again.

Mr.Rookie

thanks alot :)

I was able to delete the Superuser.apk,busybox,su by following this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7386761&postcount=2

Code:
su
cd /system/app
rm Superuser.apk

However my device is still rooted. Although Bestbuy/AT&T might not detect it, Samsung probably will .. so warranty can still be voided.

THanks again!

it worked for me.. :) thanks a lot :):)

bryanizmir

Jul 6, 2012
Schenectady
Another way to return to stock is with Kies. I have used this method a couple of times with no problems. Once Kies wouldn't recognize my note, so I had to flash a stock ics rom from the super everything thread, then hook it up so kies would recognize. There is also a flash counter reset in the super everything if you are worried about that.

Did you get the insurance from Best Buy? Or just worried about warranty from Samsung? If you have BB insurance, just run over the thing with your car before taking it back. That's what I plan to do. Just before my contract is up I always return for a new phone. They can't check the flash counter if it is snapped in half :p

sk280596@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2013
Sanjay Kumar

I will say a simple method to uninstall superuser.

First you root your phone again

Download clean master which is free.
Now open it. And allow superuser permission. Now open app manager.
It shows uninstall-backup -move options.
Select pre installed apps . Click superuser and click uninstall.

Hurray u have uninstalled superuser . My what's app number 7401660083. Message me I you have any doubt:good:

marius_84

Dec 23, 2010
problem..

hello, i have i9505 phone and i had superuser with error. i tried to restore with odin just as you said, and i put pit file that was on the folder. i put pda file too. it was too long time to install and i close the connection. after that my phone remains to samsung logo. what can i do?pls help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    su
    cd /system/app
    rm Superuser.apk

THanks again!
    Hi all,

I just did a System Level root here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1505062 and it was successful. It didn't add flash counters which is why I chose this method.

I was able to install Superuser and Titanium Backup.

However I need to return the phone for exchange because this one is currently defective (charger issues).

Now I'm trying to unroot and restore to defaults. First I uninstall Titanium backup which was easy. Then now I can't UNinstall Superuser.apk. I look for guides and found that I need to download Terminal Emulator, enable root then run these commands:

Code:
    su
    rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
    rm -r /system/bin/su

However, when I run this it gives me this error:

Code:
    #rm -r /system app Superuser.apk
    rm failed for Superuser.apk, Read-only file system

So yeah, it won't delete and I can't return it with Superuser installed in there :(

Is there a different method to just download the official restore .tar file from Samsung and just restore it that way using odin. If there is, where can I find that .tar file?

Please help, I only have a few hours before I can return this :(

Thanks!