Want to get GPS to stay ON when screen off

Search This thread

Monty Burns

Mar 11, 2005
Doha
www.stuza.com
Hi Guys

tried using co-pilot and TomTom today whilst on my motorbike but as soon as I turn the screen off the GPS turns off. Is there anyway to get the GPS to stay on with the screen off?

(I listen to the voice instructions)

programatix

May 17, 2005
Hi Guys

tried using co-pilot and TomTom today whilst on my motorbike but as soon as I turn the screen off the GPS turns off and suspend most running applications. Is there anyway to get the GPS to stay on with the screen off?

(I listen to the voice instructions)

I believe you've suspended your device by pressing the power button, right? That will definately turns off the GPS. How about looking for a software which turn off the display, instead of suspending the device.

To see what I mean, try playing music in Windows Media Player and press the Power button, the device will stop playing because it is suspended. Try some other software like Pocker Player, the program actually intercept the power button and turn the display off, that is why the music is still playing when you press the power button.

wilcovh

Feb 21, 2008
Wales, UK
I dont know about how to set that in tomtom. but for your information iGO has the function of powersave for background light. it will only light when instructions are given.
this might be an idea although it is another navigation program.

TRiKi®

Sep 15, 2007
Madrid
I dont know about how to set that in tomtom. but for your information iGO has the function of powersave for background light. it will only light when instructions are given.
this might be an idea although it is another navigation program.

I´m sure is worst for the battery to turn on and turn off the background light in every gps instruction!!. Any electronic device need more power to turn on the screen/light than to mantain it.

Tom Tom allows you to turn off the screen but not the sound, so you can follow sound instructions while the screen is off.
You can set it in Preferences > Safety Preferences

Monty Burns

Mar 11, 2005
Doha
www.stuza.com
To see what I mean, try playing music in Windows Media Player and press the Power button, the device will stop playing because it is suspended. ...

Yup, i use WM but it does NOT suspend when I use the power button.

I might switch back to my external BT gps and then I can fit the uber fat (GPS blocking) battery that I have. I know this method worked fine on my Tosh G900 but its a bit slower locking.

I´m sure is worst for the battery to turn on and turn off the background light in every gps instruction!!. Any electronic device need more power to turn on the screen/light than to mantain it.

While it is true that the instant the screen is turned on more power is consumed, it has been scientifically proven that overall, you are still using less power than if you had the screen on constantly... but yes TomTom lets you turn the screen off when navigating so that'll do the trick :)

winfiddler

Aug 12, 2008
This might be a daft suggestion, but couldn't you just run a feed from the bikes battery to charge the diamond as you go and then set the power profile to dim the display and not suspend the device when on external power?

Most big bikes have cigarette lighter sockets now-a-days, and a power regulation circuit using a 7805 is easy to knock up (might not be 100% suitable though) if it doesn't.
--
Winfiddler

Monty Burns

Mar 11, 2005
Doha
www.stuza.com
Most big bikes have cigarette lighter sockets now-a-days, ....

:D If it had a cigarette lighter I would be very upset! That might be an idea on an "old man" bike, mine however, is an RSV-R Bol'Dor, somewhat sportier than your average bike ;)

I'll just go with using my 1800mah battery and the external bluetooth gps and use it like i did on my G900. At least this way, it should last a good few hours. Of course, I'll only do this when I am planning to use it, i've still got the internal and smaller battery for every day use.

TRiKi®

Sep 15, 2007
Madrid
TT7 ? I don't see what you are talking about :confused:

You have to navigate through the menus in this way:

Change Preferences > Safety preferences.

Now you have 6 options with 6 check boxes:

1. Hide most menu options while driving
2. Suggest driving breaks
3. Show safety reminders
4. Warn when near places of worship or schools
5. Warn when driving faster than allowed
6. Warn when driving faster than a set speed

Choose what you want (or don´t choose anything) and push "Done"

Once you have pushed "Done" a new screen will appear:

Warn me wich side of the road to drive
(some options to choose blablablabla). Push "Done"

and now the interesting one:

Turn off map display:
Always [ ]
Above certain speed [ ]
Never [x]

If you select the first one, once you begin to drive, the screen will switch off and you will be able to listen to the sound instructions only.

studz

Jul 23, 2008
:D If it had a cigarette lighter I would be very upset! That might be an idea on an "old man" bike, mine however, is an RSV-R Bol'Dor, somewhat sportier than your average bike ;)

You don't need a cigarette lighter... just run a wire from your battery to the terminals on one of those cheapo usb lighter socket plug-ins, or like I've done, chop into the plug and solder it up nice and neat. You can either run it as a temporary measure up along the frame to the front, or set it up permanent, by running it up under the tank as I've done on my R1... works a treat. :D

PS, forgot to mention... if you do this, check and ensure the correct polarity when you're wiring up to the usb plug-in.

Last edited: