[MOD]HTCLinkifyDispatcher Fix - Oudated. See OP for Steal25's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Edit: This fix is defunct as of the current OTA. For a working version of this software (Thanks Steal25!) check out the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1947686

I'll be requesting this thread be closed at this point, though I'll leave the files for anyone still on older software versions. It's served it's purpose. Thanks everyone!

Original post:
There are a number of build.prop edits out there for various fixes. One such edit gives back the ability to make a choice of what program you want for a specific action. This was removed by HTC due to Apple claiming a patent infringement of patent #5,946,647. This patent is what caused the Evo 4G LTE to be stuck in customs.

Due to the nature of build.prop files containing many areas that can be tweaked, ROM devs tend to make different tweaks between ROM's. Until now this could have caused issues.

This script makes a backup of your current build.prop, and then EDITS IT IN PLACE.

What does this mean? It means you can flash THIS file on ANY ROM on this phone and it will not mess up any tweaks your specific ROM dev has put in place.

Why is this important? There are a number of build.props edited with this fix (and others)...some of them are from the stock ROM and some are from various other custom ROMs. Simply copying one over your current build.prop could lose you important optimizations, or custom fixes your dev has set up. By flashing this script you keep those customizations and still get the benefit of having your choices back.

Instructions:
To tell if this edit worked for you, check in settings. If the app associations menu option is gone, then it worked.
You will need to clear defaults for specific programs in order to have a choice pop up.

Example:
If you have selected Chrome for your default browser in app associations, you will need to go to menu/settings/apps/downloaded/Chrome/clear defaults.

The next time you tap a URL you will have a choice of which browser to use.

Credits:
Thanks to iconeo for the original thread found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1693809
Thanks to Steal25 for the actual build.prop edits.

I am including two zip files. The first one will make the build.prop change to allow you to choose your own defaults.
The second one (HTCLinkify-revert.zip) will allow you to put your build.prop back to its default.

There are other build.prop edits out there and I will be creating ROM agnostic flashable zips for those as well.

Please let me know if there are any issues with this flash.

Edit: I have uploaded a new zip that should work with the latest OTA.

Attachments

• HTCLinkify-revert.zip
    143.8 KB · Views: 462
  • HTCLinkify.zip
    179.2 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:

flex360

Sep 22, 2010
nice man
so people can flash this and still keep their tweaks

loving the support this phone is getting

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
So I'm guessing you can only use this if your phone is rooted right ?

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

You can only manually edit the build.prop if you're rooted to begin with, so even if you choose not to do it this way, you'll still need root to make the change yourself.

To flash the zip requires root and unlocked bootloader since you need a custom recovery to flash zips.

Reactions: MRFERRARI23

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Made a correction to the first post. It was Steal25 who came up with the original build.prop edit, not SteelH. Sorry Steal25!

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Mines ready fixed by me. But still, thanks mass for this.

Edit: thinking about this makes me realize just how bad apple effd HTC. I mean, if I was one of the vast majority of users who dont root and just buy a phone and leave it how it is, I would honestly probably return this device and buy something different. And that would be hard because i love HTC and this device. But, removing the 'complete action using' dialog is just not something I could live with. Apple really, really, screwed HTC... and end users. :mad::screwy:

Sent from my EVO using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: Evolutionmods

oryan_dunn

Dec 23, 2010
I've been following this issue, and it seems the build.prop fix also works for other HTC ICS phones. I assume this flashable zip would work for those phones as well, correct? Since it's editing in place, seems like it should work for all (One X, One S, Amaze 4G, etc.).

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
I've been following this issue, and it seems the build.prop fix also works for other HTC ICS phones. I assume this flashable zip would work for those phones as well, correct? Since it's editing in place, seems like it should work for all (One X, One S, Amaze 4G, etc.).

It should, yes. However I only had an Evo 3D and an Evo 4g LTE to test on, so I can't support other phones.

But as long as build.prop is in /system and contains the line ro.da1.enable=true this script should work.

Again though I can't test, so you're on your own. :)

Edit: One thing though: You'll need a modified updater-script. Right now I have 2 versions of this zip, one for Shooter (Evo3D) and one for Jewel (E4GLTE).

You'll need to modify the line at the top of updater-script to your own phone's model:

getprop("ro.product.device") == "shooter"

Replace "shooter" with "jewel" for the E4GLTE for example. Or you could simply remove the line. Should work fine without it.

Last edited:

KaptainRandom

Jul 22, 2011
Ok, I may be asking a lot...
But I'm not familiar with editing the script lines,
Could you possibly either make a zip with the jewel edit in place?
Thanx

Sent from my LtEvo using XDA

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Ok, I may be asking a lot...
But I'm not familiar with editing the script lines,
Could you possibly either make a zip with the jewel edit in place?
Thanx

Sent from my LtEvo using XDA

This one already has jewel. If you want it for another device I can make a quick update for you, just let me know the device name. Or if you want to test it without the device check line I'll pull that for you and you can test it that way.

Reactions: corcgaigh

corcgaigh

Apr 12, 2012
Boston
Android Automotive OS
Many thanks for this. Although i was able to modify fue build prop myself, i did have a hard time. Everytime i edited the build prop with root browser it made a copy of itself . Confusing stuff. Finally sorted it with SM mánager.
Anyways this is much easier for someone with my skills
Thank you

SENT FROM MY EVO LTE USING XDA

smw6180

Oct 31, 2007
Bear, DE
Many thanks for this. Although i was able to modify fue build prop myself, i did have a hard time. Everytime i edited the build prop with root browser it made a copy of itself . Confusing stuff. Finally sorted it with SM mánager.
Anyways this is much easier for someone with my skills
Thank you

SENT FROM MY EVO LTE USING XDA

Not a problem. It will come in handy later if your ROM dev makes an update. Just flash and go. :)

Matstarr

Jun 27, 2010
Will we ever be able to long press pics in the browser and have the menu come up with share with (list of programs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: This fix is defunct as of the current OTA. For a working version of this software (Thanks Steal25!) check out the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1947686

I'll be requesting this thread be closed at this point, though I'll leave the files for anyone still on older software versions. It's served it's purpose. Thanks everyone!

Original post:
    There are a number of build.prop edits out there for various fixes. One such edit gives back the ability to make a choice of what program you want for a specific action. This was removed by HTC due to Apple claiming a patent infringement of patent #5,946,647. This patent is what caused the Evo 4G LTE to be stuck in customs.

Due to the nature of build.prop files containing many areas that can be tweaked, ROM devs tend to make different tweaks between ROM's. Until now this could have caused issues.

This script makes a backup of your current build.prop, and then EDITS IT IN PLACE.

What does this mean? It means you can flash THIS file on ANY ROM on this phone and it will not mess up any tweaks your specific ROM dev has put in place.

Why is this important? There are a number of build.props edited with this fix (and others)...some of them are from the stock ROM and some are from various other custom ROMs. Simply copying one over your current build.prop could lose you important optimizations, or custom fixes your dev has set up. By flashing this script you keep those customizations and still get the benefit of having your choices back.

Instructions:
    To tell if this edit worked for you, check in settings. If the app associations menu option is gone, then it worked.
    You will need to clear defaults for specific programs in order to have a choice pop up.

Example:
    If you have selected Chrome for your default browser in app associations, you will need to go to menu/settings/apps/downloaded/Chrome/clear defaults.

The next time you tap a URL you will have a choice of which browser to use.

Credits:
    Thanks to iconeo for the original thread found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1693809
    Thanks to Steal25 for the actual build.prop edits.

I am including two zip files. The first one will make the build.prop change to allow you to choose your own defaults.
    The second one (HTCLinkify-revert.zip) will allow you to put your build.prop back to its default.

There are other build.prop edits out there and I will be creating ROM agnostic flashable zips for those as well.

Please let me know if there are any issues with this flash.

Edit: I have uploaded a new zip that should work with the latest OTA.
    coming soon!!

2012-10-20120348.png
    Any updates on this? I can't believe people care more about theming than improving functionality of their phone.

I don't honestly believe this is 'fixable' in the usual sense. From what I can tell it would require new software to be written to add in that functionality again, and a lot of the stock apps would need to be hacked to make it work. I'm just not seeing any easy fix for this. I assume Steel25 hasn't seen anything easily fixed either.

Having said all that, the tone of your post is obnoxious. If you're so worried about it, feel free to dig in and fix it yourself.

i cant believe you cant figure a way how to do it

Exactly.
    dude...are you serious?!?
    absolutely, ill be making a thread later tonight with a flashable for everyone.