[Q] How can I root a stock nexus 4 kitkat 4.4.2 KOT49H?

Search This thread

dante510

Jul 19, 2013
Hello fellow XDA. I was wondering if anyone was successful at unlocking and install twrp on a stock NEXUS 4 running 4.4.2 KOT49H? I have searched ang googled but have no luck on a legitimate guide. Any information is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

dante510

Jul 19, 2013
Try the toolkits available on the forum

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I never used the toolkit when I rooted the nexus 4 running stock jelly bean a while back, it just seem unreliable when I read up on it. I used Fastboot instead. Anyway, looks like no one in this forum who has successfully rooted a stock kit kat 4.4.2 yet it seems :(.

DrFredPhD

Oct 30, 2010
Good on you for not using toolkits. First make sure you have the correct drivers installed, as well as latest versions of adb and fastboot. Then you have to unlock the bootloader (wipes your device). Go into bootloader mode either by using the command 'adb reboot bootloader' (with usb debugging enabled) or by switching your phone off, holding both volume keys then pressing the power button. Then use the command 'fastboot oem unlock'

Next flash a custom recovery. (I suggest TWRP as it has root function built in and seems to work best.) 'fastboot flash recovery "nameofrecovery.img"'

Then boot into your custom recovery. From there reboot to system and TWRP will prompt you to root your device, alternatively you could sideload supersu http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip.

Last edited:
Reactions: dante510

dante510

Jul 19, 2013
Good on you for not using toolkits. First make sure you have the correct drivers installed, as well as latest versions of adb and fastboot. Then you have to unlock the bootloader (wipes your device). Go into bootloader mode either by using the command 'adb reboot bootloader' (with usb debugging enabled) or by switching your phone off, holding both volume keys then pressing the power button. Then use the command 'fastboot oem unlock'

Next flash a custom recovery. (I suggest TWRP as it has root function built in and seems to work best.) 'fastboot flash recovery "nameofrecovery.img"'

Then boot into your custom recovery. From there reboot to system and TWRP will prompt you to root your device, alternatively you could sideload supersu http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip.

Seems like it's the same step when I rooted when it was at jellybean. I'm just making sure since certain android version might require other method of rooting. I will try and let you guys know. Thanks again for all input.

dante510

Jul 19, 2013
Hey guys I just unlocked, rooted, and installed the latest TWRP recovery on my phone. Yay-ugh :D:victory: Anyway I wanted to install a couple rom that works with this 4.4.2 KITKAT. I have the Paranoid Android 3+ with that awesome pie feature before when I was in jelly bean, but I was wondering if that rom is compatible with my currents stock rooted kitkat? Also any suggestion on compatible kernel that goes with it? Please let me know which kernel version as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Try the toolkits available on the forum

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    How to Root Nexus 4 and Get a Custom Recovery: http://youtu.be/7mHy32B-GFM