[ROM] ROM for recovery G2X under the NVFLASH

Search This thread

ILUHA_89

Aug 27, 2011
ROM for recovery G2X under the NVFLASH

This method necessary!
If the device is not loaded and not firmware in other ways! (If you downloaded the wrong firmware in the device)

I took the unpacked program files KDZ and added to them NVFlash and created BAT file!

Download ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?wfokxjxi7rfoaey
Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C5LBU3DS
Download APX driver: http://www.mediafire.com/?k559zgjlqkd5ted

Installation Instructions:

1. Download both files
  2. Unpack it to the C drive to their respective folder
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
  5. Insert the USB cable
  6. Install APX driver from the your APX folder

For windows 7(and vista? please confirm):
    • Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
    • Right click on the APX device
    • Select 'Update driver software'
    • Select 'Let me pick...'
    • Select 'Have disk'
    • Browse to directory you extracted the APX Driver
    • Select the *entire* 'APX Driver' folder
    • Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
    • Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
    • If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat
    • Unplug everything
  7. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
  8. Insert USB cable
  9. open your ROM folder:
  10. Run Flash.bat file and wait for the process
  11. After the logo appears on the LG phone
  12. Unplug USB cable
  13. Insert the battery
  14. enjoy!

After that, I recommend to firmware device with help programms KDZ or LG Mobile Update

Last edited:

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I'm confused as to what this is? I'm guessing stock rom flash through nv flash? Kind of like odin for samsung phones?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Reactions: dj tray

phburks

Nov 11, 2010
Orlando, FL
Can't wait to check this out when I get home later. Regarding the kdz file, what exactly were you able to unpack from it? I've been able to extract 2 files (a very large .wbd file and a .dll file) but I couldn't figure out how to unpack them further, specifically the .wdb file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Turague

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I took the unpacked program files KDZ and added to them NVFlash and created BAT file!

Can you post the DLL for the G2X so we can use the LG Utilities to unpack KDZ files for this device please. So far we have been unable to get the proper DLL that enables us to unpack these files. If you unpacked the KDZ you must have the DLL unless you used another method to extract the files from the KDZ. Please elaborate on how you accomplished this. Both phburks and I have been working on this and so far we have had no success.

I'm confused as to what this is? I'm guessing stock rom flash through nv flash? Kind of like odin for samsung phones?

It is for people that have mucked up their phones to the point where LG Updater and KDZ Flash are not possible. This can be caused by many issues including, but not limited to, people flashing the O2X baseband to a G2X device. This method is purported to flash the entire Gingerbread ROM at the lowest possible hardware level. Hopefully this method is legit, but nobody has confirmed they have done it yet with the exception of the OP. Yes it is similar to ODIN for the Samsung but operating at an even lower level. With the NVFlash capability Tegra2 devices are virtually unbrickable.

Last edited:

ILUHA_89

Aug 27, 2011
Can you post the DLL for the G2X so we can use the LG Utilities to unpack KDZ files for this device please. So far we have been unable to get the proper DLL that enables us to unpack these files. If you unpacked the KDZ you must have the DLL unless you used another method to extract the files from the KDZ. Please elaborate on how you accomplished this. Both phburks and I have been working on this and so far we have had no success.

It is for people that have mucked up their phones to the point where LG Updater and KDZ Flash are not possible. This can be caused by many issues including, but not limited to, people flashing the O2X baseband to a G2X device. This method is purported to flash the entire Gingerbread ROM at the lowest possible hardware level. Hopefully this method is legit, but nobody has confirmed they have done it yet with the exception of the OP. Yes it is similar to ODIN for the Samsung but operating at an even lower level. With the NVFlash capability Tegra2 devices are virtually unbrickable.

You described it right!
This method has helped resurrect my device!

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
So the point of this utility if it works is to make the g2x un f***able like even if u do u can fix?

Yes. It is almost as good as JTAG flashing the device. For Galaxy S devices using ODIN you still have to have the 'software download' mode working in the ROM and it is possible to brick a Galaxy S beyond the point of even getting this mode to be accessible leaving you the only way to fix the device through disassembling it and flashing via the JTAG pads. Using the NVFlash method you are flashing directly to the hardware through they Hynix flashing chip. I had another phone with a similar capability (I-Mobile i858 - Yuhua Touchstone device) and no matter how badly I F'd it up (I was developing custom roms for it) I had the similar low level flashing tool that could reflash the phone to stock so I could start over with a clean slate. If this method is legit, this is a big boon to the dev community for this device.

ILUHA_89

Aug 27, 2011

After trying to firmware device with program KDZ or LG Mobile Update in folder C: \ ... \ Aplication Data \ folder appears "LGMOBILEAX" which contains the firmware files!
That's All :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jboxer

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
After trying to firmware device with program KDZ in folder C: \ ... \ Aplication Data \ folder appears "LGMOBILEAX" which contains the firmware files!
That's All :)

So you got them after the LG Updater extracted the KDZ into its component files. phburks and I didn't get that far as we didn't want to connect our already updated devices to the updater. To get to the point you did where you could grab the individual files you would have had to click the start update button. Good work.

I have 7-zip on my computer but I am unable to open up the file I just downloaded. Can you put it in another format and upload to megaupload or mediafire please? I don't want to go through that Russian site again as I got an invalid download. Also, please post the baseband file as a separate download.

Reactions: meoshe

phburks

Nov 11, 2010
Orlando, FL
So you got them after the LG Updater extracted the KDZ into its component files. phburks and I didn't get that far as we didn't want to connect our already updated devices to the updater. To get to the point you did where you could grab the individual files you would have had to click the start update button. Good work.

I have 7-zip on my computer but I am unable to open up the file I just downloaded. Can you put it in another format and upload to megaupload or mediafire please? I don't want to go through that Russian site again as I got an invalid download. Also, please post the baseband file as a separate download.

I downloaded the 7-zip file to the sdcard on my phone but I won't be home to try opening it for several hours because I'm at seaworld. Lol

Hopefully you guys can get this sorted out. Sounds promising so far.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I downloaded the 7-zip file to the sdcard on my phone but I won't be home to try opening it for several hours because I'm at seaworld. Lol

Hopefully you guys can get this sorted out. Sounds promising so far.

I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow as it is 11:31 p.m. here and time to go to bed. :-O ZZZzzzzz

web_ninja

Mar 25, 2010
Fort Smith
How about posting a mirror???? the site will not let me download.... unless i visit a sponsor and purchase something... lol

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
What we really need is for someone to tell us how to create the config files for NVFlash so we can flash the baseband only. The new baseband is there and named 'P999_MDM.bin' if I am remembering correctly. No reason to flash an entire ROM when all someone wants is the updated baseband. If we can get the older baseband file also this tool could be used to revert the baseband also, if someone wanted to do that.

How about posting a mirror???? the site will not let me download.... unless i visit a sponsor and purchase something... lol

You don't have to buy anything. You just click on one sponsor site and it opens a new window. Thirty seconds later it will enable a download link. You need to click download two or three times if I remember correctly. I am at work now. I can mirror it in about ten hours if nobody else has done it yet. I looked at the files briefly and it looks legit.

Last edited:

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Is this supposed to have a command interface? Or are you still typing in commands yourself?

Last edited:

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
Is this supposed to have a command interface? Or are you still typing in commands yourself?

Good question - that is what I am looking for rather then having to mess with the nvflash commands directly.

Update - this setup is similar to Paul's stock ROM recovery setup on modeco.com. As with his, you only have to "Run Flash.bat file and wait for the process". When I could not get off of the LGupdater screen by any other means, I ran this file from his post and it ran flawlessly - but of course I ended up with a 990's device. I tried to get back with other tools and firmware, but was never able to do it.

If this works OK, you would be able to restore your data, apps, or a nandroid and you are back in business.

I spent a week trying to restore my original (and best device as it turns out), so I am not going to fool with this right now myself. I did compare the config files from bot Paul's and this firmware and they are different - which looks real promising, as they are different.

Last edited:

AimanF

Oct 12, 2009
San Francisco
HELP! I tried to use this and the tool failed, now I am getting ZERO response from the device. I can't even boot to APX. I'm freaking out right now!

EDIT: I managed to get the process restarted and the phone is in the process of rebooting. Hoping for the best.
EDIT 2: Phone booted up and it was all restored but for some reason the baseband was not updated :\

Last edited:

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
Did you run by using the flash.bat file? Did you hold volume up and down for the entire flash process?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
HELP! I tried to use this and the tool failed, now I am getting ZERO response from the device. I can't even boot to APX. I'm freaking out right now!

EDIT: I managed to get the process restarted and the phone is in the process of rebooting. Hoping for the best.
EDIT 2: Phone booted up and it was all restored but for some reason the baseband was not updated :\

Did you have old of new baseband on before flashing? What was the state of your G2X before running this?

UPDATE: It appears that this works - but would like to 100% confirm. After all the disasters that occurred from running the LGupdater tool, this would be an important fix and should be stickied at some point. Current members know of the updater problems, but new buyers and member may not - so many may still have this problem down the road.

Therefore, I believe this is an important enough item to bring to closure and make readily available.

Last edited:

jbdaka6445

Aug 29, 2011
U saved my phone's life

THANK YOU THANK YOU

followed instructions restored completley to stock just like how i got phone out of box 2 weeks ago.

I was running eaglesblood v8 and had altered the vold.fstab file to switch mounts
from sdcard to internal and after that point i rebooted and media scanner said damaged sd card well i figured it just to be like an extension of a permission of sorts. and thought if formated it would the paths would switch no problem.
im actually kind of having a hard time rembering exactly what steps i did take to **** it up royally. but went into clockwork 5 to flash another rom from internal storage or same i cant rember now and did factory reset then all hell broke loose .
couldnt mount nothing except for system i tried formating sd card even though i dont have one probally ended up formating internal lol. formated system,
re flashed all recoverie versions including stock. i was getting so mad i called google HA by the way they got some pretty good music when u have to hold.
only thing i didnt try was to load up a rom on sd card and mount that but i really doubt it would have worked and plus i couldnt even use phone to do it lol
i need to go buy drive saved me some serious cash I would say this should be enough confirmation!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ROM for recovery G2X under the NVFLASH

This method necessary!
    If the device is not loaded and not firmware in other ways! (If you downloaded the wrong firmware in the device)

Download ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?wfokxjxi7rfoaey
    Mirror: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C5LBU3DS
    Download APX driver: http://www.mediafire.com/?k559zgjlqkd5ted

Installation Instructions:

1. Download both files
    2. Unpack it to the C drive to their respective folder
    3. Remove the battery
    4. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    5. Insert the USB cable
    6. Install APX driver from the your APX folder

For windows 7(and vista? please confirm):
      • Open Device Manager in Windows and you should see "APX Device" listed with an error
      • Right click on the APX device
      • Select 'Update driver software'
      • Select 'Let me pick...'
      • Select 'Have disk'
      • Browse to directory you extracted the APX Driver
      • Select the *entire* 'APX Driver' folder
      • Accept any warnings, including the big red alert (you may need to disable UAC)
      • Now in Device Manager under 'USB Controllers' you should have an 'NVIDIA USB Boot-recovery driver for mobile devices'
      • If not, uninstall the driver, reboot, rinse and repeat
      • Unplug everything
    7. Hold Vol Up/Down (and keep them held)
    8. Insert USB cable
    9. open your ROM folder:
    10. Run Flash.bat file and wait for the process
    11. After the logo appears on the LG phone
    12. Unplug USB cable
    13. Insert the battery
    14. enjoy!

After that, I recommend to firmware device with help programms KDZ or LG Mobile Update
    cannot install apx drivers for the life of me. Windows 8 fails due to The third party INF does not contain a digital signature

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

windows 8 will not let me install apx driers due to no digital signature ... any way to fix this?

There is a way you can reboot windows 8 in advanced menu where you can disable signature check for a one time boot (google it). Do that and install the drivers. It will work. I have done it on mine. Using 8.1 now

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I don't have experience with tegra 2... I can't get the computer to recognize the phone needs apx drivers. I have downloaded and extracted the zip. I remove battery and hold volume buttons, but nothing happens. Phone Is on 2.3.4. I keep coming back to the fact I need to manually install apx drivers... But isn't that what I do when I extract the zip from op?? Confused.... This tegra 2 is a whole new beast. Is there anyone who can help??

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

the device having a tegra 2 has nothing to do with installing the drivers for the phone.

first you need to go to lg.com and download the drivers from there
    http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGP999

once that is installed, right click on My Computer and click Manage, then click Device Manager, then open the USB section

then once you have unzipped the NVFlash folder (no that does not install the driver) take the battery out and hold the two volume buttons down and plug your usb cable in. watch Device Manager to see if it detects your phone. it should, and if it prompts you for a driver, navigate to the APX folder where you unzipped the NVFlash folder and let it find the driver there.

once it is done you wont see anything on your phone until you start the flash process. also once your pc sees your phone you dont have to hold the volume buttons in anymore but leave it plugged in to usb (obviously)

go into the nvflash folder and run the oneclickrecoveryflasher.exe file. choose which recovery you want to flash and then you will see s/w update on your phone. when the flash is done (look at the cmd window on your PC) you can unplug your phone and put the battery back in and reboot it. hold the volume down button while you hold the power button until you see the second LG logo with the purple background and let go of both buttons. your phone should boot into CWM Recovery