New OTA update disables the WIFI Hotspot tether workaround

Search This thread

Diceroll

Sep 15, 2013
8 dollars ohhh noes.....

I like your humor. It amazes me that people pay $300 for a device. Then have a heart attack over $.99 for an app.

Hit thanks if I helped you out.
Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 running Jelly Beans
Previous Devices: S4, Note 2, Droid Charge, Fascinate

Posted by a Indirect Verizon Rep that actually knows what your talking about.

Sportster1

Oct 27, 2013
I use FoxFi and here's all I did to re enable it and it works fine without even hitting home button:

Uninstall FoxFi and the FoxFi Key-everything FoxFi
Go to Settings-Security-Trusted Credentials-User and delete the FoxFi certificate
Reboot phone
Reload FoxFi and Key
When it prompts for Cert, hit ok, don't change anything, it'll install it
VPN if it asks, ok it
set it up the way you had it, also not sure if this is important or not but I believe you need a security code
for your lockscreen. I just did a number code deal. It works.
Use FoxFi and you don't have to hit home or anything. Works great!

Lemme know how it worked for you.

mapex99

Sep 24, 2013
I use FoxFi and here's all I did to re enable it and it works fine without even hitting home button:

Go to Settings-Security-Trusted Credentials-User and delete the FoxFi certificate
Reboot phone
Reload FoxFi and Key
VPN if it asks, ok it
set it up the way you had it, also not sure if this is important or not but I believe you need a security code

Ok, I got it to work. Unfortunately I had to do a factory refresh so there must have been something goobered on my phone. Thanks for the help!

opc3000

May 14, 2012
FoxFi Still Works, Even After Taking the Verizon Update

Generally, if you don't have security set up on your phone, i.e. through your lock screen (pin, pattern, or otherwise) wifi tethering is much more rigorous on the initial setup after the Verizon update but FoxFi still works.

When you tether wifi with FoxFi, a prompt will come up informing you that FoxFi needs to download a certificate to your phone's credential storage. Select "OK".

After you select OK your phone prompts you for the pin number that you've set up through security on your lockscreen. At this point, if you don't have security set on your phone, Foxfi is supposed to send you to the security screen for set up. I think something in the OTA from Verizon somehow broke this part of the set up where it automatically takes you to your phone's security screen and instead your phone just prompts you for your pin number, which if you haven't already set one, you'll need to do so. So now, you just have to navigate to the security screen, set security up, and that's it. Go back to FoxFi and go through the setup like normal and wifi tethering works fine.

Of course if you have security set on your phone, initial set up for wifi setup on FoxFi is much shorter.

To go back to no security on your phone after using wifi tethering, i.e. swipe, none, just security>clear credentials.

mmarcz

Nov 22, 2006
It took a few tries to perform the workaround. I had to find the right explorer app with root explorer capability. But once I did, it took 5mins to do, and I tether everyday at work with the built in tether, instead of buying 3rd party. Just follow the instructions.

mmarcz

Reactions: Surge1223

hellcatrydr

Jul 4, 2010
Orange Co. CA.

Go to Settings-Security-Trusted Credentials-User and delete the FoxFi certificate ???
Reboot phone
Reload FoxFi and Key
VPN if it asks, ok it

Unrooted GS3 (W/GF'ed unlimited data & pattern unlock) after the update... Foxfi is down. I've uninstalled, re-installed, tried the home button trick, can't get it back.

The thing is, I can't seem to find the security certificate in order to delete and reinstall it.
I can see the System credentials but when I click on the User page, the screen goes black.

Really could use some help.

tia.

Last edited:

Ibkevin

Jan 1, 2013
Wyoming
Ok so I am not rooted and have foxfi working on my note 3. I had to let it do the VPN install of course, and I have to have a pattern lock screen set, which I did already. And the third and last setting I did to get it working again was I typed nolockscreen in as the hash tag or hash note, whatever its called. I still have my pattern lock screen set but typing in nolockscreen as the hashtag is what got it working for me again. Hope this helps somebody. Keep the pattern lock, make sure VPN is installed by foxfi, but type nolockscreen as hash tag. Then try. If it doesn't work on that first try, close out the app, re-open and then do it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Number 6

Number 6

Aug 13, 2012
I have a GS3 stock, I will try it same broken foxfi here I depend on it in my rural area.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk HD

Number 6

Aug 13, 2012
I tried it and didn't work I wonder what's so really different about the hardware or 4.3 OTA on Samsung devices?

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk HD

fjl307

Jun 26, 2007
So curious, why does Verizon keep wanting to block/deny the WiFi tether, yet USB is still completely unaffected nor cared about?

USB is not affected by the new software update?
Please Explain. USB tethering is all I really need sometimes when I'm on the road since I only use my laptop.

Trigster

Aug 11, 2011
SE Wisconsin
USB is not affected by the new software update?
Please Explain. USB tethering is all I really need sometimes when I'm on the road since I only use my laptop.

I just use PDAnet, install the app, install the desktop software, and enable.

I have not done ANYTHING to my phone to get either USB or WiFi-Tether to work, it is 100% VZW stock.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pdanet

Now granted I bought the paid version long time ago and the registration works both for PDA and FoxFi.

Note: LoL I just read some of the top reviews on PdaNet+, people complaining because it doesn't "hide" data usage from their cell-co providers.

Last edited:

asrah

Mar 6, 2013
I have used SVTP for some time. My Galaxy S3 was on pageplus, which takes you to a web page about data provisioning, if you attempt to tether via programs like FoxFi. SVTP enabled me to use wifi tethering for my Nexus 7 2013, my laptop, desktop, and my friends iPAD at the same time. I never had any complaints from page plus even though i used in excess of 1GB of data per day, on a few occasions. My usual data usage per day was about 100-300 MB.

tigersfa8

Dec 2, 2012
Found a different app that costs less, and works without the various steps like foxfi.

Doesn't seem to have a widget, takes some time to load the app, and turn on the wifi tether, but works well.

On updated 4.3, MJE, rooted.

Program is called wifi tether router - fabio grasso

Reactions: Chocu1a and axtn95

njbreaker

Feb 1, 2008

Reboot phone
Reload FoxFi and Key
VPN if it asks, ok it

I literally used the above method about 10 times then it finally worked. You have to keep trying it until you get the red hotspot tether icon to appear.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just a heads up- I lost my tether via the toggle widget workaround.

I tried a few including foxfi but none are working.

Has anyone found a solution?

Can I flash back to the previous firmware?

thanks for your help!

Was going to try to avoid posting a guide/mod but for now if you have root, ive posted a mod for it here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48362066

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    Found a different app that costs less, and works without the various steps like foxfi.

Doesn't seem to have a widget, takes some time to load the app, and turn on the wifi tether, but works well.

On updated 4.3, MJE, rooted.

Program is called wifi tether router - fabio grasso

Reboot phone
    Reload FoxFi and Key
    VPN if it asks, ok it

Just a heads up- I lost my tether via the toggle widget workaround.

I tried a few including foxfi but none are working.

Has anyone found a solution?

Can I flash back to the previous firmware?

thanks for your help!
    thanks for the quick response!

well i used the mod you uploaded, used root explorer to overwrite the file present in \system\framework

restarted but still am not seeing it work.

and yes still have root

any ideas?

You renamed it to framework-res.apk, then copied the new framework-res.apk first on /system then changed permissions for framework-res.apk to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644), before moving it (not copying, this is important) to /system/framework correct? And system was mounted r/w?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app