[Q] Dirty Flash vs Clean Flash

Search This thread

grimpow

Mar 8, 2012
Buffalo
So I'm pretty sure I know the difference between clean and dirty flashing (for a clean flash you wipe /system and /data, for a dirty flash you wipe nothing, maybe cache and dalvik). But my question is, how do I know which one to use and when? Is dirty flashing only for updates to your current ROM, and nothing else? Specifically with the unofficial Cyanfox KitKat ROM, can I just dirty flash each nightly?

Uzephi

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2012
Phoenix
Google Pixel 3a
Most of the time when flashing a ROM update (unless stated by ROM developer) dirty flashing is okay. If you get some odd bug, don't report from a dirty flash, as sometimes a dirty flash can keep old bugs, or make new ones. Always clean flash new Roms.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: grimpow

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
So I'm pretty sure I know the difference between clean and dirty flashing (for a clean flash you wipe /system and /data, for a dirty flash you wipe nothing, maybe cache and dalvik). But my question is, how do I know which one to use and when? Is dirty flashing only for updates to your current ROM, and nothing else? Specifically with the unofficial Cyanfox KitKat ROM, can I just dirty flash each nightly?

For example: if you are on CyanongenMod11 Nightly and want to flash to the next CM11 Nightly most of the time a dirty flash is acceptable

However: From CM10 to CM11 (or two completely different roms) a dirty flash would result in bootloops/FC's/ect... a full wipe would be required

If you are staying on the same rom and just flashing a new release of that rom (version increment) as long as the OS doesnt change (ex. android 4.2.2 to 4.4.2) most of the time a dirty flash is sufficient unless stated by the Dev of that rom.

But to minimize errors Full wipes are generally a good idea (that way no data gets left behind that would cause issues)

Reactions: jackryder38

jamiethemorris

Jan 7, 2013
Just to clarify one thing, a clean flash also means not restoring/installing any apps or data, unless there's a particular app you are having trouble with in which case you would only install that app. A clean flash also means using the stock kernel as well as no flashable mods (except for gapps, of course).

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Most of the time when flashing a ROM update (unless stated by ROM developer) dirty flashing is okay. If you get some odd bug, don't report from a dirty flash, as sometimes a dirty flash can keep old bugs, or make new ones. Always clean flash new Roms.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

For example: if you are on CyanongenMod11 Nightly and want to flash to the next CM11 Nightly most of the time a dirty flash is acceptable

However: From CM10 to CM11 (or two completely different roms) a dirty flash would result in bootloops/FC's/ect... a full wipe would be required

If you are staying on the same rom and just flashing a new release of that rom (version increment) as long as the OS doesnt change (ex. android 4.2.2 to 4.4.2) most of the time a dirty flash is sufficient unless stated by the Dev of that rom.

But to minimize errors Full wipes are generally a good idea (that way no data gets left behind that would cause issues)