[Q] cyanogenmod 10.2 in stock rom slot

Search This thread

jaaason

Sep 7, 2007
cm 10.2.1 works great in rom slot 2 on my droid4, but not in the stock slot. Is there something different I have to do?

I activated the stock slot, did a Factory Reset, installed cm and gapps. It boots, shows the safestrap splash screen, then goes to a black screen with the backlight on. Nothing after that.

I can connect with adb and see the logs, there are repeated heap dumps from something crashing, but I don't see a line saying what. It appears to be trying to start AndroidRuntime and dalvik (same thing?) over and over. Does this give anyone a clue?

I also tried wiping /system after a factory reset, but it just hangs on the black screen, no change.

Before this, I had the latest OTA in the stock slot, and I was running eclipse rom 1.0.8 (or something) in slot 1. I am able to restore my safestrap backup of the stock slot and the stock rom still works.

NeoPhoenixTE

Feb 13, 2014
Fort Collins, CO
You can only safely install Cyanogen in ROM-Slot 1. Never try to install to the stock ROM slot. Slots 2 and 3 are touch and go. It's best to just stick with ROM-Slot 1.

If you've already installed it in the stock ROM slot, then you'll likely have to restore your phone using SBF/fastboot files and start the whole process over from a stock system. :\

jaaason

Sep 7, 2007
You can only safely install Cyanogen in ROM-Slot 1. Never try to install to the stock ROM slot. Slots 2 and 3 are touch and go. It's best to just stick with ROM-Slot 1.

If you've already installed it in the stock ROM slot, then you'll likely have to restore your phone using SBF/fastboot files and start the whole process over from a stock system. :\

The note on the cyanogen site says "Builds older than 09/01/2013 must be installed on rom-slot1." I've read threads where people are using cm and aokp in the stock slot, so I thought it would work.

Any idea why it can't work in the stock slot? Safestrap seems to create image files for virtual filesystems of system, cache, and userdata which are obviously just imitating the stock partitions. I guess you need to bypass that logic, so can I just tweak the fstab or something? I'm curious what other magic safestrap is doing (or the cm/aokp roms) that needs to be adjusted for stock.

jaaason

Sep 7, 2007
Nevermind, I figured out my mistake. I was on an old version of safestrap. Upgraded to safestrap-maserati-3.65, flashed latest nightly cm11 to stock slot, and it works. Great job cyanogenmod!