Rogers LG G2 D803 kitkat Update

Search This thread

ameenshake

Feb 16, 2012
Mobilesyrup reporting March 25 KitKat release for LG G2

Sent from my g2 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I feel like an idiot now. Tired of waiting for KK, I flashed Mahdi like three days ago and got bootlooped, which took me a whole day to fix. Coming from Samsung phones, this phone had the first stock rom that I was comfortable using so I might go back but its almost 2 GB which is a tad bit too large for a phone with no expandable.

oriveradel

Sep 29, 2007
I feel like an idiot now. Tired of waiting for KK, I flashed Mahdi like three days ago and got bootlooped, which took me a whole day to fix. Coming from Samsung phones, this phone had the first stock rom that I was comfortable using so I might go back but its almost 2 GB which is a tad bit too large for a phone with no expandable.

madhi is a great ROM, but you Must flash the PATCH for your device, before restarting.

ameenshake

Feb 16, 2012
It looks and plays amazing but I miss some of the cosmetic stock features. I guess ill try stock and probably end up aosp. Do you think stock 4.4 will improve AOSP functionality over time, with the kitkat kernel and all?

TITANote2LTE

Jan 28, 2013
It looks and plays amazing but I miss some of the cosmetic stock features. I guess ill try stock and probably end up aosp. Do you think stock 4.4 will improve AOSP functionality over time, with the kitkat kernel and all?

Aosp is definitely tough to get off of. The fluidity of it, the size of the os itself and the overall professionalism it brings to the device is awesome, in comparison to the cartoon style lg has put on.

But I digress... Stability, camera, multimedia playback and most of all battery life on stock lg rom all outweigh what aosp gives me.

I came from a nexus 5, I'm quite content with stock but might pick up next gen nexus tab to tinker with (that's the tough part, I like flashing a lot haha)

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

ameenshake

Feb 16, 2012
Aosp is definitely tough to get off of. The fluidity of it, the size of the os itself and the overall professionalism it brings to the device is awesome, in comparison to the cartoon style lg has put on.

But I digress... Stability, camera, multimedia playback and most of all battery life on stock lg rom all outweigh what aosp gives me.

I came from a nexus 5, I'm quite content with stock but might pick up next gen nexus tab to tinker with (that's the tough part, I like flashing a lot haha)

Is it really true that you get bettter battery life on stock? If yes, then that's shocking. The main reason I went to AOSP on Samsung phone was to get better battery life, its hard to believe that its the opposite here.

TITANote2LTE

Jan 28, 2013
Is it really true that you get bettter battery life on stock? If yes, then that's shocking. The main reason I went to AOSP on Samsung phone was to get better battery life, its hard to believe that its the opposite here.

For my device and my needs yes, I have got overall better battery life on stock, that's even compared to custom kernels and tweaking values. Then again a 3000mah battery should be giving better battery life then most. On average I can hit an hour screen on for every 10-12% of battery usage.

I mean common sense would kick in here, if I'm gaming it'll drop more, but standby time (WiFi & data on) is amazing. Not even using greenify anymore tbh

Reactions: tobesedated

tobesedated

Jan 30, 2013
London
I'm curious if like the HTC One, I'll have to have stock recovery in order to install the update or if it'll work with a custom recovery. Sigh life is so hard lmao :silly::silly::silly:

RPAusCan

Oct 16, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I updated this morning. All worked well. I prepared by going back to stock recovery and removing xposed module last night. I don't know if it was necessary, but I didn't want to take any chances. I kept the phone rooted though. After the update, I'm still rooted, so all is good! Haven't had a chance to test it out too much though, but for those waiting, the update process was pretty smooth.

TITANote2LTE

Jan 28, 2013
I updated this morning. All worked well. I prepared by going back to stock recovery and removing xposed module last night. I don't know if it was necessary, but I didn't want to take any chances. I kept the phone rooted though. After the update, I'm still rooted, so all is good! Haven't had a chance to test it out too much though, but for those waiting, the update process was pretty smooth.

You kept the device rooted after taking OTA? Did you delete any system apps or use "survival mode" in SU?

Also what root method did you use? Thanks

Yup still have root access after OTA. Perfect.

Last edited:

jiggarific

Mar 22, 2010
How did you keep it rooted? I'm currently rooted with Xposed installer installed. I'm also using G2 Exposed to shrink my nav bar. Do I need to uninstall these apps before updating to kitkat?

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app

RPAusCan

Oct 16, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You kept the device rooted after taking OTA? Did you delete any system apps or use "survival mode" in SU?

I did a factory reset last night, which brought me back to stock recovery as well. I then checked to make sure I was still rooted, which I was. If not, I've used Kingo Root (http://www.kingoapp.com/index.htm) and it's worked great for me. Anyway, I was rooted, so all was good. I made sure Xposed was not installed, and I didn't install anything else, just waited until this morning. I checked for the update and away it went. After the update, I was still rooted. That's all I did. I didn't touch SU. I'm now in the process of making a backup using Titanium Backup, and then I plan to remove some Rogers bloat. I hope that helps.

Last edited:

TITANote2LTE

Jan 28, 2013
How did you keep it rooted? I'm currently rooted with Xposed installer installed. I'm also using G2 Exposed to shrink my nav bar. Do I need to uninstall these apps before updating to kitkat?

Sent from my LG-D803 using xda app-developers app

As far as I am aware of, yes, you will need to uninstall any xposed modules you have and xposed itself.

Can someone else confirm please?

Reactions: jiggarific

Haesslich

Sep 15, 2006
As far as I am aware of, yes, you will need to uninstall any xposed modules you have and xposed itself.

Can someone else confirm please?

I didn't uninstall the Xposed modules, but I did disable them and then uninstalled Xposed before installing the OTA.

As a bonus, Tap to Pay is enabled in the 4.4.2 ROM, unlike for our American friends.

Reactions: Idan73

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Pardon If I am being obtuse, but I'm thinking about getting the OTA but I want to make absolutely sure before I do:

Can we roll back to 4.2 after a successful update to KitKat?

Going to try to follow directions here to get root to persist on the upgrade, but in the event root doesnt carry over I want to make sure there is a plan B besides waiting for someone too get root again. People mentioning that the international version doesn't allow roll back is making me overly cautious so I am looking for that explicit "yes you can roll back"

Cheers,

Faugly

I have a Rogers G2 and did not have root carry over initially. I was able to upgrade via OTA and roll back a half dozen times using the Rogers 4.2.2 KDZ and the instructions here, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476. FYI my G2 has never had a custom recovery, not sure if it would make a difference but just so you know. Also note that rolling back following those instruction will most likely require you to do a factory reset at the end so you will most likely lose your data on the phone, if the KDZ doesn't wipe it the reset will.

I finally managed to get root carried over when I rooted 4.2.2 with ioroot24 (ioroot10 did not work) and turned on survival mode on SuperSU Pro and unchecked the Enable SuperSU box (essentially disabling it) before applying the OTA update. Not sure if there are other combos that will work.

I did a factory reset last night, which brought me back to stock recovery as well. I then checked to make sure I was still rooted, which I was. If not, I've used Kingo Root (http://www.kingoapp.com/index.htm) and it's worked great for me. Anyway, I was rooted, so all was good. I made sure Xposed was not installed, and I didn't install anything else, just waited until this morning. I checked for the update and away it went. After the update, I was still rooted. That's all I did. I didn't touch SU. I'm now in the process of making a backup using Titanium Backup, and then I plan to remove some Rogers bloat. I hope that helps.
    THANK YOU!!!!! That was it! This was driving me crazy all day. Now I have to find another keyboard I like with a number row :crying: At least one problem is solved.

Thank you again - you made my day!

Try Kii keyboard. Has number row (optional) and is highly customizeable, and I prefer it to swiftkey and swype.
    Stupid...

Well just to prove that I am all manner of stupid. I got it figured out, turns out I was using ioroot10, the current version is ioroot24. Using ioroot24 to root 4.2.2, enabling survival and unchcking the enable box in SuperSU then upgrading to 4.4.2 and I have kept root.

I'm going to chalk the issue up to using the old version of ioroot since that is the only thing I changed.

Either way I am happy now, thanks everyone for the help.