[Q] Screen issue

Search This thread

auguststuart

Oct 21, 2010
My t999 has a major screen issue that I haven't been able to find described in multiple searches. First, it flashes blue when I turn on the screen. Second, every other line seems to be muted gray, which leaves everything looking crappy. Whites are duller, blacks are lighter, and text especially small fonts look like something from an apple IIe. At first, this would only last a few seconds after powering on- the screen would correct itself from the top down in chunks, sometimes leaving faint horizontal lines that would fade. Lately, it's taking longer and longer to correct, sometimes the brightness has to be pushed up or down to get this cleanup to kick in. Then, turning it off always brings it back to the muted gray state. I've tried forcing GPU rendering, dither options, even a factory reset and a change from stock rooted 4.3 to slimbean 4.3. These haven't helped.

The phone's history is messy. A wine spill shorted the USB port, then a firm brick had me send it out for port repair, which didn't seem to work, so I ebayed a replacement motherboard.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Can you wipe the phone completely and re-flash Stock Rom ? If the problem repeats even after that then you may have loose or faulty LCD.

auguststuart

Oct 21, 2010
Can you wipe the phone completely and re-flash Stock Rom ? If the problem repeats even after that then you may have loose or faulty LCD.

The board I bought online had the 4.3 OTA update. 90% of what I've read here says downgrading back to stock once the 4.3 bootloaders have been flashed will brick it. Do you mean stock unrooted 4.3 (with Knox) or 4.1.1 or even earlier?

auguststuart

Oct 21, 2010
I meant 4.3 Rooted Stock Rom. Search for Root66 on this forum.

Flashed back to root66 4.3 and the problem is still there. Possibly worse. I also noticed that the screen refresh rate seems to be slower- maybe 30hz or so. In a dark room, waving the screen around produces discrete screen images- fewer than with an old, properly working samsung captivate. I've previously taken the phone apart, but I'm pretty sure all motherboard connections are clean and secure. While this doesn't render the phone unusable, it drains battery noticeably faster, makes it much bright and washed out when trying to read in bed, and generally looks like hell. Might be worth the $100 LCD replacement, if it's definitely a hardware issue.