[Q] i777 modem/RIL questions

Search This thread

NightSteel

Aug 23, 2010
Okay, so, I've done a fair amount of reading and searching about modems and RILs, including other forums, but I've still yet to find the specific information I'm looking for. (Most of the stuff that I've found relates to the i9100.) So if I missed the relevant post, I apologize, please direct me there.

That said, here's the deal. I've got an i777, which I have unlocked and am currently using on T-Mobile. I've flashed the stable CM 10.1.3 (Android 4.2.2). Its baseband is UCLE5. It's running well. I have few complaints, except for occasional low signal.

I've already seen this thread, with the different modems available: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1336958

I lost the link, but I also found a thread, possibly on another forum, where a T-Mobile user reported better performance with baseband UCMD8. I'd like to try it. I think I can manage flashing it on my own via CWM.

However, I've read in a bunch of places that it's also important to have a RIL matching the baseband version. I found a thread that gives a terminal emulator command to find your current RIL version (getprop "gsm.version.ril-impl"), and mine is "Samsung RIL(IPC) v2.0", which is apparently from Gingerbread.

So, my question is this: Should I also change my RIL? If so, 1) where would I get the appropriate RIL for the i777 with CM10.1.3, and 2) how would I install it, preferably without performing another wipe, reset and ROM installation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
So, my question is this: Should I also change my RIL? If so, 1) where would I get the appropriate RIL for the i777 with CM10.1.3, and 2) how would I install it, preferably without performing another wipe, reset and ROM installation?

You have nothing to worry about - just flash the i777 modem you want via recovery; you don't have to wipe anything, it will work fine. I wouldn't worry too much about RIL; over the two years of changing modems back and forth I've never encountered any problems regarding RIL (except for some wakelocks, but that's more to do with bad/weak signal than anything else).

NightSteel

Aug 23, 2010
To be clear, I'd still be happy for input from anyone regarding the i777's RIL, but I did go ahead and flash UCMD8. I've already noticed something new; my phone now seems to drop from H+ to 3G fairly aggressively when I'm not actually using it, then go back to H+ when I do, where since flashing CM10.1.3, it previously connected only at H+ or E. I imagine this is a battery saving measure. I'll have to see how it behaves for a few days.

Thanks for your response SteveMurphy. By the way, what baseband/RIL version do you use, if I may ask?

Last edited:

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
To be clear, I'd still be happy for input from anyone regarding the i777's RIL, but I did go ahead and flash UCMD8. I've already noticed something new; my phone now seems to drop from H+ to 3G fairly aggressively when I'm not actually using it, then go back to H+ when I do, where since flashing CM10.1.3, it previously connected only at H+ or E. I imagine this is a battery saving measure. I'll have to see how it behaves for a few days.

Thanks for your response SteveMurphy. By the way, what baseband/RIL version do you use, if I may ask?

I'm on UCMD8,

The reason you're seeing 3G more often is because with the newer roms you have the ability to better control your network modes. For instance, if you want to use Edge you can manually switch to 2G mode. It's possible the older firmwares (GB, ICS...) had this option but I really can't remember.

NightSteel

Aug 23, 2010
Galaxy S Backdoor

So it seems my question about RILs was unintentionally timely, as Samsung's RIL for Galaxy S devices contains a backdoor that's been verified with proof of concept.

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor

http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/SamsungGalaxyBackdoor

I'm not sure which version of Samsung's RIL they tested, or whether they tested the I777, but it seems most Galaxy phones are affected.

Hope someone gets to work on this soon.

cyril279

Jun 3, 2013
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You have nothing to worry about - just flash the i777 modem you want via recovery; you don't have to wipe anything, it will work fine. I wouldn't worry too much about RIL; over the two years of changing modems back and forth I've never encountered any problems regarding RIL (except for some wakelocks, but that's more to do with bad/weak signal than anything else).

I'm on UCMD8,

The reason you're seeing 3G more often is because with the newer roms you have the ability to better control your network modes. For instance, if you want to use Edge you can manually switch to 2G mode. It's possible the older firmwares (GB, ICS...) had this option but I really can't remember.
    So it seems my question about RILs was unintentionally timely[...]

Suspiciously timely, yes.

here's another take on the back-door claim:

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...-of-remote-backdoor-in-samsung-galaxy-phones/

-Cyril

edit: and this: http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...mctr=(not provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=122317964