[Q] Ram usage.

Search This thread

Sonone

Apr 1, 2013
Pune
I am currently running stock with franco kernel 32...

i always see that my ram consumption is always very high about 1 gb...

i have auto sync off and by using gravity box module i often clear all the apps but still i get this high ram usage.. the apps i use are mostly paid version and dont have adds. I use greenify as well but still usage is high..

in my cached processes google search and aosp keyboard consume around 100 mb of memory

will this affect my battery life.?

pls can someone help?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Don't worry. Android uses as much ram as it can. Unless you're seeing performance issues if just leave it alone.

Reactions: Sonone
H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

Hi,

Nothing abnormal to have about 1Gb used (there was a thing about RAM usage in the last version if I remember right, but not with R32 so...).

Maybe not necessary to clear often the recent apps (nor useful).

Nothing to worry about your battery life.

You apps stays in memory for faster use, let Android manage its ram, with 2Gb (a bit less for user/app) it's enough...

:)

Last edited:

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Ram is supposed to be used. The old adage "free ram is useless ram" applies here.

The ram device itself will use power as all components will however, it is "always on" it doesn't matter if its 1MB or 1GB.... it's same power regardless.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sonone

Apr 1, 2013
Pune
@JJD1639 thanks for the assurance man.. i thought it may cause battery drain.:good:

@viking37 thanks,so u mean its better to leave them as they are. no need of hibernating them?:)

@rootSU thanks u! ya i had heard that in linux as opposed to conventional windows belief its rather that free ram is wasted ram.. so even if i start a game a high requirement one the OS will do the job itself?

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

@viking37 thanks,so u mean its better to leave them as they are. no need of hibernating them?:)
Re,

No, what I mean is let your apps currently running like they are, in the recent apps. If a day you are really very low in memory for whatever reason (like 200-300Mb free for example) and you experience lags, reboot ant it's fine. But Android will do the necessary before (unless a "huge memory leak" like we have seen or some wrong memory management settings caused by a "RAM manager app" or some "magic RAM script").

My opinion was not about Greenify in particular, I have no opinion about it... If you need or want to hibernate them, do it, for the other apps, leave them running ;)

Not sure if I explain myself well :D

If you want post some screenshots of your apps running and cache process to see, but with what you said it seems that there is nothing wrong...

Last edited:

Sonone

Apr 1, 2013
Pune
Re,

No, what I mean is let your apps currently running like they are, in the recent apps. If a day you are really very low in memory for whatever reason (like 200-300Mb free for example) and you experience lags, reboot ant it's fine. But Android will do the necessary before (unless a "huge memory leak" like we have seen or some wrong memory management settings caused by a "RAM manager app" or some "magic RAM script").

My opinion was not about Greenify in particular, I have no opinion about it... If you need or want to hibernate them, do it, for the other apps, leave them running ;)

Not sure if I explain myself well :D

If you want post some screenshots of your apps running and cache process to see, but with what you said it seems that there is nothing wrong...

ya there is nothing wrong... its just that I am probably being a bit too curious for no reason...
i shall leave it to the OS memory management..I just checked there's no rogue app consuming memory.. the ones which are running seem quite justified!:good:

and please dude,i got you (explained well)and i really appreciate the support and help from all of you.. i post a thing and within a minute there are people to help..:highfive::angel:

H

Hammer_Of_The_Gods

and please dude,i got you (explained well)and i really appreciate the support and help from all of you.. i post a thing and within a minute there are people to help..:highfive::angel:
Yes, all seems good :good:

Curiosity is good and you're welcome ;)

Ashcunak

@JJD1639 thanks for the assurance man.. i thought it may cause battery drain.:good:

@rootSU thanks u! ya i had heard that in linux as opposed to conventional windows belief its rather that free ram is wasted ram.. so even if i start a game a high requirement one the OS will do the job itself?

ps. this applies to pretty much all desktop OS's as well as mobile in the past 10 years or so.. linux, windows, osx etc.. 90% ram usage or more should be normal unless you have an insane amount of ram in the system.

MrObvious

Mar 1, 2008
Wichita KS
If I notice my device slow down, I click the button to switch apps and swipe them all closed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

I should say, I don't need to worry about it on this phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Mr hOaX

Jan 30, 2014
I am currently running stock with franco kernel 32...

i always see that my ram consumption is always very high about 1 gb...

i have auto sync off and by using gravity box module i often clear all the apps but still i get this high ram usage.. the apps i use are mostly paid version and dont have adds. I use greenify as well but still usage is high..

in my cached processes google search and aosp keyboard consume around 100 mb of memory

will this affect my battery life.?

pls can someone help?

Try this app http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2327541

Sonone

Apr 1, 2013
Pune
ps. this applies to pretty much all desktop OS's as well as mobile in the past 10 years or so.. linux, windows, osx etc.. 90% ram usage or more should be normal unless you have an insane amount of ram in the system.

memory management has not been a quite favourite subject of mine :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    my ram booster keeps clearing my ram because it uses up to 1.6

any process I can shut down from default to stop it from clearing?

Get rid of ram booster. You don't need it and it's causing more problems than it's fixing.
    Don't worry. Android uses as much ram as it can. Unless you're seeing performance issues if just leave it alone.
    Ram is supposed to be used. The old adage "free ram is useless ram" applies here.

The ram device itself will use power as all components will however, it is "always on" it doesn't matter if its 1MB or 1GB.... it's same power regardless.

Yeo