[DISCUSSION] Anyone come from the Vibrant to the G2?

Search This thread

splat matt

May 20, 2007
Columbus, OH
I have the Vibrant and starting to see if I can force t-mo to swap it for the G2. So has anyone switched from the Vibrant to the G2? Which one do you like better. I have read that there are some members who are disappointed with the G2 screen saying it has a yellow tint.

So I would like to hear the early adopters feedback G2 or stay with the Vibrant and why.

Thanks!

XDA app via Samsung Vibrant

daijizai

Oct 27, 2005
I don't notice the yellow tint, and it is on par with my Vibrant IMHO. I don't use the Virbant though... I put it back in the box after a few hous because I don't like TouchWiz.

theclueless

Jul 30, 2008
Chicago
the vibrant's screen is definitely superior to G2 screen, and I do miss the 16GB internal SD space. other than that, I am giving my vibrant to my nephew and not looking back

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
The screen is fine on the G2 I have both the Vibrant and the G2, I couldn't make Tmobile do a complete swap, but I was able to get a full discount on the G2.

In my opinion the Vibrant is a great Media Device. Otherwise I think the G2 is better. The Vibrant is not as functional as the G2 as far as the phone/gps/etc is concerned but does have a better media capabilities.

It is wonderful to open google maps, or any app that uses GPS and have almost instant location, and it is accurate! That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

BTW if you have done two warranty exchanges on your Vibrant, then you can make Tmobile swap it out for any "Comparable" phone, including the G2 if you are still not happy with it.

ianandamy

Apr 26, 2006
cedar hill MO
I am the 1 who complained of yellow tent on the screen after playing with it for a few hours I have adjusted however I still don't like the screen compared to an o l e d. What the deal breakers for me are the keyboard up with the placement of the delete key and the return key, The floppy hinge, and the internal memory not being there. overall someone to make a case that keeps the phone opening I would probably keep it but I mac os 10 500 bucks on it

PolishDude

Jul 16, 2010
Tampa, FL
I have a Vibrant with Bionix 1.4 rom and OC on it, I am getting the G2 today. I will play with both and decide which phone I want to keep. I think G2 will have better support but I think Vibrant has better hardware with 16gb of internal storage, 4 inch samoled screen, not to mention the FFC that will shortly be installed, its going to take a lot to make me keep the G2 over the Vibrant, I do like the fact it has an indicator and its metal

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
I had two vibrants - one lasted 15 days, the 2nd 45 days - (tmo extended my remorse period over the gps issue). I had rooted and installed one of the lag fixes - and i thought that vibrant was fast, until i got this G2

i don't want to say the G2 blazes past the vibrant in blinding speed fashion, but it is definitely quicker and smooth as silk in all functions

i haven't noticed any tint to the screen - i don't think the screen or display is as brilliant (colorwise) but it's definitely nice

size on the G2, dropping to 3.7" display, i was worried i'd miss that display size. Nope - the size is perfect, both visually and size is perfect in my hand (i'm 6' w/large hands).

only "fault" i have with the G2 vs the vibrant - the speakerphone is definitely not as loud, and when set to max volume, the sound breaks up - i suspect it's because the speaker is right behind that metal backing cover - and it's reflecting that sound - when i put my finger on the metal cover there, the sound improves, and same if i remove the back cover. But that's a minor minor "issue", nothing i'm worried about.

oh, the GPS - IS FLAWLESS - even shows me moving around in my house, and is always oriented correctly to the direction i'm facing. Granted my house is 88' long, but it shows me moving around inside my house, from one end to the other.

i did have some concerns i'd miss the vibrant, i liked it that much. But that's not the case.

now i'm just looking forward to someone rooting this phone, so i can ditch some of the bloatware.

jmd1981

Sep 23, 2010
I am going from the Vibrant to the G2, but I don't get my G2 until Monday. I was in love with the Vibrants screen, but the battery life was just horrendous for how I need to use a phone. I took it back within my remorse period and ordered the G2 Thursday. I really liked the Vibrant, but I think the G2 will be a better phone for me especially with the physical keyboard. I had an iPhone and never had problems with the screen keyboard, but with the Vibrant I would miskey all the time...

larryccf

Nov 23, 2009
battery life on the G2 has been pretty impressive compared to the vibrant
- where on the vibrant i had screen timeout in 1 minute, kept GPS and wireless, data sync, background data, etc turned off, and would put it in "airplane" mode when i went to sleep, after taking it off the charger at midnight, using the phone for normal conversation useage (approx 1.5-2 hours per day) by 6:00PM i'd be down to less than 20% charge

with the G2, and this is only after 3 days so battery has not had a chance to fully condition, with same useage, but in this case screen timeout is 10 minutes AND I'M USING THAT LIVE WALLPAPER "THUNDERSTORM" WITH THE LIGHTNING STRIKES, and leaving GPS on and not fooling with airplane mode while i sleep, i'm seeing 35+% charge at the end of the day

i have not missed the vibrant

NoDataFound

Jun 13, 2010
The screen is fine on the G2 I have both the Vibrant and the G2, I couldn't make Tmobile do a complete swap, but I was able to get a full discount on the G2.

How did you manage to get them to do that? I called TMO in an effort to try and get them to perform the same thing and was met with resistance. I have a vibrant and used my upgrade from my G1 to get it.

I turned on my G1 today to flash 2.2 and install ip Webcam for a wireless outdoor cam, but haven't put it down since. I miss my G1 and while I love the screen and upgrades in terms of memory, etc... I don't think I'll be using it again and want that G2 for the keyboard and size. I like my vibrant for media, but as an everyday driver this G1 or something like it is more my style.

So I beg you... how do I get them to do a full discount?

Sent from my Plain Biff Dream using XDA App

user1307

May 25, 2010
So I recently lost my Vibrant and am now looking into either getting another Vibrant or a G2. If someone could help us out, how does the G2 compare to the Vibrant in terms of overall performance and what are potential dealmakers or dealbreakers?

For me, my concerns about the G2 are:
800 mHz processor versus 1 gHz processor of the Vibrant. Does it make a huge difference? Keep in mind that the Vibrant is only running 2.1 right now but when it gets 2.2 will the G2 be able to keep up?

The G2 3.7" screen versus the Vibrant's 4" SAMOLED screen. Personally I loved the Vibrant's screen, it's gorgeous.

4 GB internal memory versus 16 GB internal memory. Yeah I know I can always get a bigger SDcard but its still nice to have larger internal memory.

How is the physical keyboard? I read someone on here had some complaints.
The keyboard and HSPA is not a big issue for me.

I don't like to rush into bad decisions and when I got the Vibrant, I believe it was the best phone out right then, so any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. :)

carlsbad0331

Apr 28, 2007
I bought my Vibrant 21 days ago. I took it back today and picked up a G2. I am very happy with the decision. The Vibrant screen is incredible, and the 16gb internal was nice.
But I have a 16gb msd card, and dont use the device for video media. I did a quadrant on the Vibrant this morning and it scored 842. I did a quadrant on the G2 this evening and it scored 1420.
I dont know how reliable quadrant is, but it confirmed my suspicion that the G2 was performing better even with a slower processor.

Arcadia310

Aug 13, 2010
I came from a Vibrant to the G2 and without going into details, I like the G2 WAY more than the Vibrant. Its sooooo much faster than the Vibrant. I don't miss super amoled at all, that shouldn't be the main selling point for a phone.

clivo360

Aug 17, 2010
I'm gonna wait to see what Samsung says in this upcoming week about the forthcoming update to the Vibrant. If its only a GPS fix and froyo isn't coming for a while, i'm gonna try and get a G2.

It looks like T Mobile is also getting the HTC HD3 running windows phone 7. However, lack of multitasking and a small amount of apps make it hard to switch from android. That leaves the myTouch HD as the only other solid option coming out.

However, its gonna be hard to give up the Vibrants 4' SAMOLED and beast of a GPU.

NoDataFound

Jun 13, 2010
So what is the advice to making this change (vibrant to the g2) or even purchasing the G2 at the discount rate.

daijizai

Oct 27, 2005
So what is the advice to making this change (vibrant to the g2) or even purchasing the G2 at the discount rate.
My advice, get the Nexus One. It may be a little slower, and not as good for gaming, but it is pure Android with minimal pre-installed apps.

Also, it seems that the preinstalled apps on the vibrant (esp. gmail) cannot be upgraded from the market, meaning you rely on OTA to get new gmail features!