[Q] need some advice before buying m8

Search This thread

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
HTC are region specific just like Samsung. There's three main variants.

Asian - 2.5GHZ 801
WWE - International 2.3GHZ
US - Same as WWE.

Then just split up into carrier branded per region. Isn't too hard to fathom.

With S-OFF you can change model ids etc and make it any variant you want and flash any firmware on it. With Samsung you risked a massive screw up.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

another thing i was wondering was that is it possible to flash custom roms on s-on devices because as you can see in the screen shots i posted the device is s-on and the guy has managed to make it a GPE device...plus is it possible to go back to sense and other aosp roms after flashing a google play edition rom? i might just bite the bullet and pick it up tomorrow all the research is getting on my nerve

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Yeah you can flash custom ROMs with ease. GPE conversion cannot be done unless you are S-OFF. As it changes the partition size etc. But once you read the dev section you'll understand it all :)

If you like the phone, buy it. It's definitely worth it. Even as pure stock it's a quality device which performs very well.

Reactions: rusty-ragster

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
Yeah you can flash custom ROMs with ease. GPE conversion cannot be done unless you are S-OFF. As it changes the partition size etc. But once you read the dev section you'll understand it all :)

If you like the phone, buy it. It's definitely worth it. Even as pure stock it's a quality device which performs very well.

bro i got the model and fcc id from the back of the phone

model: 0P6B100
fcc id: NM80P6D100 M8n

Reactions: radicalisto

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Its identical to mine then. Mine is O2 uk carrier branded. However, I got S-OFF and rebranded it to international.

Edit: debranding /S-OFF makes it sim unlocked also

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
Its identical to mine then. Mine is O2 uk carrier branded. However, I got S-OFF and rebranded it to international.

ahan well there were no such carrier brandings on this phone and the boot animation was also stock....plus i googled the number and it also showed unlocked devices with the same model number so maybe this is an unlocked one...

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar

anyways i am going to buy it now :) thank you so much for your help could not have done it without your help :) will report back to you if i need any assistance

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Carrier branding on uk handsets is usually just a sim lock. They don't bother putting any decals/boot animations etc anymore. But they sim unlock for free also, so no point them even locking them lol. Probably use the Intl model now or a slight variance at least.

Glad you decided, you'll like the One far better than the Note 3. I do :)

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
Carrier branding on uk handsets is usually just a sim lock. They don't bother putting any decals/boot animations etc anymore. But they sim unlock for free also, so no point them even locking them lol. Probably use the Intl model now or a slight variance at least.

Glad you decided, you'll like the One far better than the Note 3. I do :)

yeah iv got viper rom on download can not wait to flash it..

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
yeah iv got viper rom on download can not wait to flash it..

Run it with ELEMENTALX kernel (one comes with it but just update to latest). Although, I've had far better out of GPE ROMs - 3 days battery, 60mins or so voice calls, heavy use plus 5hrs sot. And left 10-20% juice before recharge.

You'll find similar performance with striped down sense ROMs also, but need tweaking and kernel tweaking.

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
Run it with ELEMENTALX kernel (one comes with it but just update to latest). Although, I've had far better out of GPE ROMs - 3 days battery, 60mins or so voice calls, heavy use plus 5hrs sot. And left 10-20% juice before recharge.

You'll find similar performance with striped down sense ROMs also, but need tweaking and kernel tweaking.

yeah i will switch to google play edition eventually but i want to experience some sense

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar

got the phone loving it so far :) i downloaded viper rom but could not find the kernel you specified can you please link me to it? plus it is charging really slowly over here or maybe i am used to note 3

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Correction, s-off allows you to SIM unlock it, it doesn't make it sim unlocked.

XDA app on m8 running venom

It automatically unlocked mine. Didn't need to do anything else, my Three sim worked straight away. O2 *apparently* lock their devices when got direct from them.. Whether this is or was who knows. But S-OFF and debranding it made it sim unlocked.

got the phone loving it so far :) i downloaded viper rom but could not find the kernel you specified can you please link me to it? plus it is charging really slowly over here or maybe i am used to note 3

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2705613

There ya go ^^

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
It automatically unlocked mine. Didn't need to do anything else, my Three sim worked straight away. O2 *apparently* lock their devices when got direct from them.. Whether this is or was who knows. But S-OFF and debranding it made it sim unlocked.

Sure it wasn't already sim unlocked? Car phone warehouse fir example tend to sell unlocked phones.
Mines from o2 and yes it was locked,but they have an automated unlock page for customers,sent me the code in about thirty seconds.

radicalisto

Nov 13, 2013
York
Sure it wasn't already sim unlocked? Car phone warehouse fir example tend to sell unlocked phones.
Mines from o2 and yes it was locked,but they have an automated unlock page for customers,sent me the code in about thirty seconds.

Never tested, Came direct from O2's online store. Buuut saying that, I have known O2 to not lock phones before, Vodafone are the same.. Appear to lock at random lol.

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar

samsamuel

Nov 19, 2006
samsamuel.co.uk
Yea I remember the HD2 when o2 got it, the first few month they issued fully branded sim locked,then the next batch were unlocked but branded, and later they were just sending out unlocked wwe hd2's

neoreeps

Jul 1, 2014
Danville, CA
Agreed, this is the best phone I've ever owned. Hands down simplest to mod and haven't bricked yet.

Sent from my One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rusty-ragster

Oct 28, 2012
peshawar
charging time is a bit slow over here my kernel comes with fast charge option but i have not tried it yet...its been on for about an hour and i have like 25 percent other then that everything is buttery smooth on sense and the ui is a treat for the eyes i could not bare touch wiz but sense is really great.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if you mean GSM unlocked or bootloader unlocked (not sure if you even need to GSM unlock with the international variant) but if it's bootloader unlocked then it is most likely S-OFF too. You can check whether its S-OFF or S-ON by powering the phone off and booting it up with power + volume down (bootloader mode) and it should show S-OFF or S-ON at the top somewhere in the interface. To get out just use the volume keys and navigate to reboot and if it doesn't show reboot then navigate to hboot/fastboot, whichever one shows the reboot option. Also where it says "developer use only" I'm quite sure that means the phone is either S-OFF or bootloader unlocked, not 100% sure as to this though.

You can check your model number by navigating to Settings > About > Phone identity, it'll be the second one. & on the developer support topic, I assume you bought the international variant since you're posting in that forum and well luckily for you I believe it has more support than the carrier versions such as Verizon, Sprint, etc.

Volume down + power button = Bootloader mode & I think Volume Up + Power button is Recovery but it isn't working on my device so can't confirm.

Apologies if some of this is inaccurate, I have the Verizon variant and haven't explored into the international variant as much as I have my own. Still most of it should be accurate and answer your questions.
    It'll be the International version if it's not -: carrier branded, GPE Branded or an Asian model (higher clock on the Asian model 2.5 opposed to intl 2.3)
    And pretty certain you can check by looking at boot loader for cid and see what it is. Hopefully he hasn't super cid'd :)

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk
    Model Make is also on the back of the device, at the bottom. It's very small though but it's there.
    oki so I went to check the phone again sadly I could not enter into fast boot mode maybe I hat to check that in settings which I forgot to do...however I got some additional information regarding the device which is that the phone is a display unit imported from the UK by display unit I mean that the phones that are displayed in the stores for people to come and use....so what do you guys think about that

Display units here in the UK - AKA Demo models, don't always come with Radio's on board. For example - The Note 3 has no radio on board, or the HW for it. Yet the M7 did. -

If the unit has a radio on board then it'll be fine.

Word of caution though most display models from the UK that end up elsewhere tend to be stolen units and are often blacklisted. I'd ask where the reseller got it from just to be sure.