HELP!!! Power Button Not Working!!!!

Search This thread

Futur Innovations

Nov 18, 2010
futurinnovations.blogspot.com
The power button suddenly quit working today. I left it in my grandparents car while we were in church (boring) and after church, I tried to turn it on, but the power button didn't do anything! So when we got home, I plugged it in, then the screen came on as if nothing was wrong. I tried pressing the power button, but nothing happened. Is there any way to reboot it without the power button (and no I am not rooted, I'm keeping my tablet stock, unlike my DInc :D )? Do you think it's a hardware (button) problem or a software problem? The button clicks when you press it just as it always has, so I don't know what the problem is :(

Thanks in advance :)

seshmaru

Aug 22, 2009
Sounds like black screen of death. Nothing serious, just hold power button for 10 seconds, then start it again and it should be fine.

Otherwise root and flash netformer 1.4r2, which may or may not fix the issue.

TheFirlen

Apr 5, 2011
I had same problem yester day in school. I put my transformer on the desk and nothing else. When I wanted to turn it on nothing happens. In house i put the power cable to it and it worked, but power button isn't working...

fonze73

May 7, 2011
RMA time?

Mine had the same problem shortly after I purchased during the summer. I ended up having to send it in to be repaired under warrenty. According to the repair sheet they replaced a daughter board.

RojasTKD

Sep 6, 2007
S. Florida
HELP!!! Power Button Not Working!!!!

No one can help you except Asus. Sounds like you need an RMA.

I had a similar problem with my volume button exactly two weeks after getting my Transformer. I promptly returned it to Best Buy and exchanged it for a new one. Luckily I was still within my return/exchange period (by the skin of my teeth).

I now try to avoid using the hardware buttons as much as possible. I use the audio manager app to control the volume and plug the device in to turn it on (I try to use the power button as little as possible). I'm not rooted so I have to use the button to turn of my device.

Those buttons always felt a bit flimsy to me and I see it as the biggest build quality issue with the Transformer.

Beards

Nov 3, 2008
I'm not rooted so I have to use the button to turn of my device.
You don't need Root to have a screen button to turn off your TF.
All you need is the free app 'Screen Off and Lock'
It's an excellent App with a lot of amusing tools for switching the screen off.

I have it installed on my non-rooted Samsung Galaxy SII. The Market says it is compatible with the TF.

RojasTKD

Sep 6, 2007
S. Florida

I have it installed on my non-rooted Samsung Galaxy SII. The Market says it is compatible with the TF.

I meant actually shutting the device off, is in powering off. But thanks, it will be a useful app anyway.

RojasTKD

Sep 6, 2007
S. Florida
Ahh... I see. Hope you find the App interesting anyway. It does have quite a few comical methods in switching off. :)

Yeah I I'm trying it out. I clicked on your thanks button. ;)

I'll eventually root my TF and try out an app that will allow me to shut down my TF without using the hardware button. My TF is a B7O but I think it an early rootable version.

Reactions: Beards

Beards

Nov 3, 2008

I'll eventually root my TF and try out an app that will allow me to shut down my TF without using the hardware button. My TF is a B7O but I think it an early rootable version.

Good luck with the root and many thanks for the Thank You. Each vote comes in handy when my surgical team check my votes at the end of each week.
My wallet then goes into hiding. :D
You should find one back to you.

solom01

Oct 29, 2010
Just letting you know that my power button died while the unit was still quite new. I ended up having to send it back for repairs to the dreaded Texas center (at my cost I may add) but they got it back in about a week and it seems to work, at least for the time being. Between that and having had to have my dock repaired this has been the most problematic tablet/computer I have ever owned. It is actually a pretty nice unit in many ways, but build quality seems to be pretty abysmal. What worries me is that if it has so many problems when it is new, what will it be like when it has a bit of age on it? This has also prevented me from rooting it until the warranty is over, since if something like this goes wrong and you can't restore it to stock they won't fix it.

jamesquiros

Nov 2, 2011
I had the same problem after I got a new cover. The power button did not do anything while in the cover, when I took it out of the new cover the power button works perfectly. The new cover has magnets for closing it. I belive the magnets were causing interference. Everything is good now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm not rooted so I have to use the button to turn of my device.

Ahh... I see. Hope you find the App interesting anyway. It does have quite a few comical methods in switching off. :)