Search This thread

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
[GSM/CDMA] How to flash via RSD when you read "Cannot program" or "Battery LOW"

Welcome to Eternity Project!

What are these things?
The Motorola FactoryCable is simply skipping the battery and making your phone to take the necessary current for powering it up from your PC's USB.
Note that it won't charge your battery. It will SKIP IT.
On a device with removable battery, if you remove the batt, it will still powerup with that cable.

Why should I have one?
- "Cannot program" or " Battery Low" when you try to flash via RSD. The Factory Cable eliminates this problem.
- The device won't powerup or charge: if it works with a Factory Cable, then it's a battery problem. If not, your device is a paperweight.
- If anyone finds other uses for it, I'll write 'em here :p

-----Factory Cable:-----
You need:
1. An USB cable to break, or an USB to MicroUSB adapter (~2$) to break.
2. A brain
3. Soldering iron (if you don't find another method for fixing the cable.....)
4. A brain.
5. Pieces of rigid copper or aluminium (copper preferred)

Pinout:
1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 ID NC Identification
5 GND Black Ground

Schematics:
FAC_CAB.jpg

Guide for a 3-in-1 cable:
1. Solder rigid copper wires on PIN 1, 4 and 5.
2. Drill 3 holes in your USB to MicroUSB adapter for making the rigid wires to pass through.
3. Connect PIN4 to PIN1 (externally :D) for FACTORY CABLE or PIN4 to PIN5 for OTG CABLE (for USB HUBs and USBHost functionalities). Don't connect anything for normal USB cable for USBSync/ADB etc.

Enjoy!

The Eternity Project Developer
--kholk

Last edited by a moderator:

Pietrona

Jun 8, 2006
Napoli
What a man!!!!
You are big!!!
I had a problem on doig this on a full discharged phone and bboting into fastbbot, i was swetting, but i solved anyway.
this maybe is a goos solution

Reactions: mackillersRAZR

kholk

May 20, 2007
Torino
You can anyway use the Factory Cable even if your battery is in your phone.

You don't need to remove it for using the factory cable.

Shadowdancer123

Mar 11, 2010
Bottnaryd
I'm sure this works, But:

Just fully charge it, there's a reason you're not allowed to update when running on empty, you may brick it, and without firmware you can't charge the battery.

Pietrona

Jun 8, 2006
Napoli
You saved me

Uhhhhh,

i used Your scheme and everything is correct,
i just programmed the phone while battery was low and bricked it, but with your cable averything was fine..................you saved my phone...

thanks

chaihg

Nov 15, 2010
I remember doing this for my Defy and actually fried the Battery after doing it for more than 4-5mins.
I dont know if this setup is an improvment over that but I think one needs to be careful. Before, we ended up with a hot over charged battery and had to buy a new one. Later we got hold of an external battery charger (that was a removable battery of course).
I hope some accessory like that exists on eBay for us to just order it incase phone goes dead. We might be able to just open screws, pop out the battery and put it into a charger :)

Reactions: aroldo

kholk

May 20, 2007
Torino
@Pietrona
The EternityProject is here for helping ;)

@chaihg
I've used it with my ATRIX and never experienced something like that.
Perhaps, your cable was bad and shortcircuited something else or your battery was already bad ... or the DEFY simply reacts different.
But anyway the battery circuits are stopping the charging process when it is fully charged, so probably your battery was bad.

Reactions: aroldo and Pietrona

xTremePower

BUT :

How can I charge the phone now ?

The phone boot very well in android, but battery bar stay red
If I plug in a normal usb cable, it was a White front LED, but the phone don't want to boot

If I boot with Volume UP +Down + Power, the dot disapear 5 sec and come back again

EDIT :
I found a way : I use the Car charger for charge it, with this way, it charging

But, can't charge now in normal Usb.... with the computer, in Charging only mod, or in Storage mod, he don't wan't to charge....

.... after 5 reboots, work's again oO
I don(t understand, but it work's :) ;)

Last edited:

slygeist

Jun 25, 2010
ok. I really have never solder'd anything in my life, and dont have any friends that know how to do it as well.. Is there anyone willing to do it and send one my way, ill pay of course. please help a fellow friend in need.. Im stuck.

kholk

May 20, 2007
Torino
Heh, if you were in Italy I could have made one for you.. but shipping costs would be too high for a $3 cable.. :p

Reactions: reachking

reachking

Jan 7, 2012
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Thanks kholk, after many tries now the factory cable is working for me xD
But it's look so ugly lol
img20120119092223.jpg

img20120119092259.jpg

img20120119092236.jpg

My XT910S is dead anyway, no korean sbf file to rescue it :(

Last edited:

amoamare

Jul 17, 2006
Just to let some people, sometimes even if you have a full battery that doesn't mean anything. It helps to ensure the flash goes well yes. Even with a full battery its possible that you flash and for what ever reasons the phone reports "Low Battery" even knowing it had a full charge. This was my case tonight, sense I was sure where I placed my original OEM Motorola cable. I decided to make one. Lol i was about to post a thread my self already seen this one though. Here is some pics of what my home made one looked like.

By the way the only cable I had spare of was a Samsung Micro, lol i must say they really in cased this puppy in a shield and bunch of rubber.

img20000103051014.jpg

img20000103051048.jpg

img20000103051059.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [GSM/CDMA] How to flash via RSD when you read "Cannot program" or "Battery LOW"

Welcome to Eternity Project!

What are these things?
    The Motorola FactoryCable is simply skipping the battery and making your phone to take the necessary current for powering it up from your PC's USB.
    Note that it won't charge your battery. It will SKIP IT.
    On a device with removable battery, if you remove the batt, it will still powerup with that cable.

Why should I have one?
    - "Cannot program" or " Battery Low" when you try to flash via RSD. The Factory Cable eliminates this problem.
    - The device won't powerup or charge: if it works with a Factory Cable, then it's a battery problem. If not, your device is a paperweight.
    - If anyone finds other uses for it, I'll write 'em here :p

-----Factory Cable:-----
    You need:
    1. An USB cable to break, or an USB to MicroUSB adapter (~2$) to break.
    2. A brain
    3. Soldering iron (if you don't find another method for fixing the cable.....)
    4. A brain.
    5. Pieces of rigid copper or aluminium (copper preferred)

Pinout:
    1 VCC Red +5 VDC
    2 D- White Data -
    3 D+ Green Data +
    4 ID NC Identification
    5 GND Black Ground

Schematics:
    FAC_CAB.jpg

Guide for a 3-in-1 cable:
    1. Solder rigid copper wires on PIN 1, 4 and 5.
    2. Drill 3 holes in your USB to MicroUSB adapter for making the rigid wires to pass through.
    3. Connect PIN4 to PIN1 (externally :D) for FACTORY CABLE or PIN4 to PIN5 for OTG CABLE (for USB HUBs and USBHost functionalities). Don't connect anything for normal USB cable for USBSync/ADB etc.

Enjoy!

The Eternity Project Developer
    --kholk
    Not sure if this will help, but this is the positions on the pins in the micro usb
    2 4
    1 3 5

This is how the colored wires should be attached:
    W R
    R G B

I'm far from being an expert, so anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    So this is probably going to make me sound like an idiot, but I'm not an engineer or anything like that and am having a hard time reading the image.

My question is do you basically just connect the black to the red? Do you have to do anything to the empty pin? Or is it the empty pin to the red? Could someone tell me what I need to connect in simple terms like that...

Again, sorry for sounding like an idiot, I'm just confused and desperate...

If you open up the micro-USB enclosure (on pretty much any USB to Micro USB cable) you will notice that there are 5 pins. Each of those pins is soldered to a wire:

RED (5 volts)
    WHITE (data)
    GREEN (data)
    BLACK (ground/negative)

The crappy cable I used has a pin (which is referred to as PIN 4) which is not wired to anything.
    What you need to do is to simply make a bridge so that the RED wire (coming from the USB plugged in your computer) feeds both PIN 1 and PIN 4 on the micro-USB end.

The problem is that the empty pin is so tiny that it takes some surgeon hands to solder a wire to it.

So my question is: Does the stock motorola USB cable (the one that comes with the phone) have all PINs wired up? I don't want to cut it just to find out
    My Moto Factory cable.

Here is some screen shots of one I made..
    attachment.php

And Wrapping it all up we have the finished product.
    attachment.php

If you want to go all the way back to the micro connector the diagram below should help.

attachment.php
    pic fore more help

wKuqjQh4JuORNZNO.medium

6XhL6XhWq4PuHJ4l.medium

cg54bL1END3hQJMx.medium