[GT-N710x][SHV-E250*] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many device (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3) and has clocked over 7 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

Coming from a different device ?
Keep reading, the new CF-Auto-Root incarnation of CF-Root is different from other CF-Root's.

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Stock recovery

Installation and usage
Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Why isn't this just called CF-Root
Because it's not a traditional CF-Root with all the bells and whistles. This is a new class of CF-Root I'm going to make for more devices that keeps everything stock and just gives you only root. I'm "done" with permanent custom recoveries, they cause too many issues on new devices, in my opinion. The "Auto" comes from the fact that I'm building it in such a way it does most of the work automatically without me having to adjust any code. It's a larger project I was not yet wanting to release, but because so many people have asked me to release a CF-Root for the Note2, here is the early Note2 version.

Not included - Triangle Away
Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
- Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
- If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
- Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
- Click the Start button
- Wait for Android to boot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.

Attachments

• Odin3-v1.85.zip
    198.6 KB · Views: 48,849
Last edited:

Chainfire

Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Last edited:

TechThis_Out

Oct 1, 2012
Considering i'm a noob @ rooting this is very useful so ty & also is it possible to have OTA updates remain on the device once rooted?

Tubgirl

Nov 5, 2009
So when will "Dutchy" & "Indy" get Note 10.1 so that we can get some order over there as well?? ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

A.S._id

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2010
@Chainfire

Congratulations to the five-year period at the XDA developers!

Joshy-Global-Good-Champagne-Poppin-Bois.jpg

Last edited:

zabaknilesh

Dec 27, 2008
Mumbai
Not sure about automatic OTAs, but if you can download the OTA from for example SamMobiles, Mobile ODIN can probably flash it for you ... :)

Chainfire..I can confirm that the OTA is not working after following CF Root. is a fix possible for this ..? If I do triangle away on this will OTA work again..?
Alternately can i directly flash from Mobile Odin..? Dont I need advanced CWM ..?

DMax99

Aug 30, 2010
Not sure about automatic OTAs, but if you can download the OTA from for example SamMobiles, Mobile ODIN can probably flash it for you ... :)

I have heard reports of mobile Odin not working properly on n7100...has it been fixed?

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Chainfire..I can confirm that the OTA is not working after following CF Root. is a fix possible for this ..? If I do triangle away on this will OTA work again..?
Alternately can i directly flash from Mobile Odin..? Dont I need advanced CWM ..?

Read his last post above you....

Reactions: Chenglu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check your device model ! Settings -> About device -> Model number. See the third post for exact supported model numbers. If your device is a totally different model, it will not work (may even brick) !

CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock Samsung firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many device (Galaxy S1, Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3) and has clocked over 7 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

Coming from a different device ?
    Keep reading, the new CF-Auto-Root incarnation of CF-Root is different from other CF-Root's.

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Stock recovery

Installation and usage
    Flash the CF-Auto-Root package as PDA in ODIN (details on how to do that are in next post), and your device should reboot into a modified recovery (signified by a large red Android logo) and it will install SuperSU for you and restore the stock recovery, and reboot back into Android.

If you don't get to the red Android logo, boot into recovery manually ("adb reboot recovery", or boot while holding Power+VolUp+Home).

Using this root increases your flash counter. You should run Triangle Away (see below) after rooting to reset the counter. Note that if you want to run custom kernels or custom recoveries, your flash counter will be set to 1 at every boot. Either configure Triangle Away to reset the counter at every boot (Play version only) or only reset the counter when you need to go into warranty.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Why isn't this just called CF-Root
    Because it's not a traditional CF-Root with all the bells and whistles. This is a new class of CF-Root I'm going to make for more devices that keeps everything stock and just gives you only root. I'm "done" with permanent custom recoveries, they cause too many issues on new devices, in my opinion. The "Auto" comes from the fact that I'm building it in such a way it does most of the work automatically without me having to adjust any code. It's a larger project I was not yet wanting to release, but because so many people have asked me to release a CF-Root for the Note2, here is the early Note2 version.

Not included - Triangle Away
    Triangle Away can be used to reset the flash counter after installing CF-Root. The flash counter keeps track of how many custom firmwares you have flashed, as this voids warranty. (No idea what this about ? Read up on it, you will want to use this !)

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    Download

2013.05.20 --- CF-Auto-Root

SuperSU: v1.30

Download:

GT-N7100: CF-Auto-Root-t03g-t03gxx-gtn7100.zip
    GT-N7105: CF-Auto-Root-t0lte-t0ltexx-gtn7105.zip

SHV-E250K: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltektt-t0ltektt-shve250k.zip
    SHV-E250L: CF-Auto-Root-t0ltelgt-t0ltelgt-shve250l.zip
    SHV-E250S: CF-Auto-Root-t0lteskt-t0lteskt-shve250s.zip

--- History ---
    2013.05.20: SuperSU v1.30
    2013.02.20: SuperSU v1.05
    2012.12.02: SuperSU v0.98
    2012.10.12: SuperSU v0.96
    ODIN Installation (detailed)

- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
    - Unzip the attached Odin3-vX.X.zip file
    - Download and unzip the CF-Auto-Root-....zip file (see posts below this one)
    - If you end up with a recovery.img and cache.img file, you've extracted twice. You need to end up with a .tar.md5 file - don't extract that one
    - (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
    - Start Odin3-vX.X.exe
    - Click the PDA button, and select CF-Auto-Root-....tar.md5
    - Put your phone in download mode (turn off phone, then hold VolDown+Home+Power to boot - if it asks you to press a button to continue, press the listed button, or run adb reboot download command)
    - (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
    - Make sure Repartition is NOT checked
    - Click the Start button
    - Wait for Android to boot
    - Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)

- NOTE: Sometimes the device does *not* boot into recovery mode and root your device. Just do the entire procedure again if this happens. If it still will not install root and such, make sure that in Odin "Auto Reboot" is not checked. Then after flashing, pull the battery, and boot with VolUp+Home+Power button to boot into recovery manually. This will start the install process.

New to Samsung? Unfamiliar with Odin? Think all the above is a hassle? Get used to it. It's very simple, and us Samsung folk use Odin (or Mobile ODIN ;)) for everything! It's so very very convenient once you get used to it. Notice the 30 second comment above? For experienced users, the entire process indeed takes only 30 seconds!

You may now optionally want to install and run Triangle Away to reset the flash counter.
    Just use the thanks buttons to say thanks! Chainfire even asked you to do that in the post, if you actually read it!

We don't need a 100 page thread here of people going "thanks" or "+1" or "nice one"..... use some common sense
    Thanks for your great job.
    I rooted my note 2 using CF auto root, and Triangle Away reset the flash count to 0, stock kernel, then by wiping data/factory reset I have the Device status=Normal while device is still rooted. Software Update is functional so I believe I am able to receive OTA and install it without problem. Once OTA package is installed, as system will be overwritten, so I need to root it again. Am I correct?

OTA behavior is undefined. An OTA is a differential between two system states. The original system state has been modified by rooting, as such the differential is by definition incorrect to get the wanted system state, from Samsung's perspective. Mathematically speaking, it literally doesn't add up. That is why the result is "undefined".

An OTA could work fine, or it might bork up your system. It depends on the OTA. That's why Mobile ODIN has the capability to flash ZIP OTAs, it can modify them "on the fly" to correct these issues. Unfortunately it cannot flash BIN OTAs which Samsung sometimes uses.

All in all, everybody should just forget about OTAs. OTAs are very rare and far between, and full firmwares are generally released as well (either by Samsung or costummade by SamFirmware).

Yes, SuperSU (Pro!) support OTA survival mode so you won't lose root IF (and that's a big IF) the OTA manages to flash, and on some devices that does work, but it still shouldn't.

Again, everybody should just forget about OTA compatibility. The amount of effort people put in complaining/asking/fretting about OTAs is a lot more than it takes to just wait and flash a the full firmware when it comes out.