[Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful?

Search This thread

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
I have a rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" running AWD-Launcher. The bottom of the screen still shows icons for search and favorites. Since I can't find any way to remove them, I'd like to at least make them useful.

For the search button, I'd like to make it launch something useful, e.g. Voice Search or maybe Dolphin Browser. The default Kindle search just isn't useful, especially given the way the web search forces you into Silk.

For the favorites button, I'm looking for an easier way to manage the entries than manually running the "Home" launcher and modifying it from there. I could actually live with that approach if it would allow me to add the Kindle reader from the Play store, but Home is set up to specifically not see that app.

Surely someone before me has been annoyed by having those vestigial buttons at the bottom! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Katalystik

Jan 6, 2013
I have been annoyed by this ever since I installed nova. That I know of, or there is no way to edit the links. One approach, and however, I would be to use button saviour pro and get rid of the navbar completely. Search for button saviour in the kindle general topic. Hope this helps.

Sent from my KFTT using xda app-developers app

Dr. Drax

Feb 10, 2013
Thanks Katalystik! For the benefit of others, here is what I wound up doing:

I installed Button Savior Pro as you suggested, then I hid the stock keys by adding a line to /system/build.prop that read:
Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1
(See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038452&nocache=1 for more detail)

This is even better than what I was hoping for, as it allows me to recover the full usable screen size.

point99trash2011

Jun 3, 2012
There is a way to fix the search button, freeze the kindle unified search app if you have Google search properly installed it will use that.

For favorites... your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: conalt

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful? StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar

I have a rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" running AWD-Launcher. The bottom of the screen still shows icons for search and favorites. Since I can't find any way to remove them, I'd like to at least make them useful.

For the search button, I'd like to make it launch something useful, e.g. Voice Search or maybe Dolphin Browser. The default Kindle search just isn't useful, especially given the way the web search forces you into Silk.

For the favorites button, I'm looking for an easier way to manage the entries than manually running the "Home" launcher and modifying it from there. I could actually live with that approach if it would allow me to add the Kindle reader from the Play store, but Home is set up to specifically not see that app.

Surely someone before me has been annoyed by having those vestigial buttons at the bottom! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dr. Drax,

There is a way to make changes to the Kindle Status bars allowing you to customize to each button. Download and install these two packages on the Kindle:

1. StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar
2. Smart Statusbar

If for some reason the changes are not as expected, move each package from /data/app to /system/app be sure to inspect the permissions: User Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

Then to add full screen navigation to the Kindle, go to the build.prop file in /system/app and add to the end of the build.prop:

Code:
qemu.hw.mainkeys=1

Then reboot the Kindle.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Q] How to make search and favorites buttons useful? StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar

Dr. Drax,

There is a way to make changes to the Kindle Status bars allowing you to customize to each button. Download and install these two packages on the Kindle:

1. StatusBar+ - Custom Status Bar
    2. Smart Statusbar

If for some reason the changes are not as expected, move each package from /data/app to /system/app be sure to inspect the permissions: User Read Write Group: Read and Others: Read

Then to add full screen navigation to the Kindle, go to the build.prop file in /system/app and add to the end of the build.prop:

Code:
    qemu.hw.mainkeys=1

Then reboot the Kindle.
    There is a way to fix the search button, freeze the kindle unified search app if you have Google search properly installed it will use that.

For favorites... your guess is as good as mine.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD