[Q] Too many unrequired apps

Search This thread

kunaltyagii

May 28, 2013
Coimbatore
Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.

_jordan_

Oct 2, 2013
No, if you delete apps, you won't get otas. Read the general section stickies and they explain this in more detail.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
Hello
i'm new to nexus 5 community having bought it just a week back. i think there are too many useless apps for me atleast which i'm not gonna use at all (ex: google play books, play games, play movies and specially google+)
i was just wondering if i root the device, delete all these apps from system and then unroot it and unlock the bootloader again, will I still be voiding my guarantee and will i be able to receive OTA updates from google??
please bear with my silly question as i'm completely new to all this stuff.

You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

kunaltyagii

May 28, 2013
Coimbatore
You can just disable them if you like. No root even required. They will still take up space but they won't keep updating and OTA will work.

but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response :)

bblzd

Nov 6, 2013
Toronto
but they'll keep showing in play store to get updates and they keep running in background eating RAM. well if i disable then they wont eat RAM but still. Having them on the phone makes no sense for me. but if i'm not gonna get OTA's then nthng i can really do. thanks guys for the fast response :)

Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

ifti31545

Sep 13, 2012
unnecessary programs

I also have same observation. There shud b some option where those softwares or programs which r not needed n they don't effect the system as well can b uninstalled. Disabling them just don't show them but still they occupy precious space.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen

You could also root the device and delete the apps you don`t need and flash the (4.4.3 ) new image in fastboot and reroot ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disabled apps wont update from what I've seen. I've had a few Google apps disabled including Chrome. Only when I enabled Chrome again did it tell me it needed to update.

Thanks man. U r right. i disable google+ and it dsnt show in play store anymore. thanks :)