[Q] Camera optimal settings

Search This thread

theprince1991

Dec 8, 2008
Hey there, just got the Z1C yesterday. I've had an XPERIA S and XPERIA Z so I'm familiar with the Sony ecosystem.

I was just wondering what settings you guys use to capture images? I would prefer 16:9, with noise being reduced as much as possible. I don't really mind about sacrificing detail too much if I can get noise levels down.

Right now I use manual mode, 15.5mp, single auto-focus. Automatic White-Balance and auto-iso.

I'm also confused, should I use 15.5MP or 8MP?

Can you also recommend settings for taking pictures in low-light.

I don't suffer from flashbleed problem btw.

Reactions: valky2014

charlatan01

Jan 10, 2008
Denver
Hey there, just got the Z1C yesterday. I've had an XPERIA S and XPERIA Z so I'm familiar with the Sony ecosystem.

I was just wondering what settings you guys use to capture images? I would prefer 16:9, with noise being reduced as much as possible. I don't really mind about sacrificing detail too much if I can get noise levels down.

Right now I use manual mode, 15.5mp, single auto-focus. Automatic White-Balance and auto-iso.

I don't have any advice to offer, however I was considering posting the same question to see what people have found to work the best.

blue_quartz

Aug 16, 2013

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/85...htc-one-mini-vs-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini?page=3

Interestingly, the phone is only more willing to use higher ISO when using the Superior Auto (it maxes out at ISO 400 in manual), so if you don't need the full 20.7 MP goodness for post-processing cropping you may be better off with Superior Auto.

Another thing to note from the article comments, their review model is only running JB, and there were some camera improvements introduced in the KK upgrade.

Personally, I stick with 8 MP Superior Auto and only switch to the full 20.7 MP if I prefer to do post-processing cropping.

On a related note, I wished the Manual mode is really fully manual...

Last edited:
Reactions: theprince1991

trewelu

Aug 14, 2010
http://connect.dpreview.com/post/85...htc-one-mini-vs-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini?page=3

Interestingly, the phone is only more willing to use higher ISO when using the Superior Auto (it maxes out at ISO 400 in manual), so if you don't need the full 20.7 MP goodness for post-processing cropping you may be better off with Superior Auto.

Another thing to note from the article comments, their review model is only running JB, and there were some camera improvements introduced in the KK upgrade.

Personally, I stick with 8 MP Superior Auto and only switch to the full 20.7 MP if I prefer to do post-processing cropping.

Iso setting can be changed at 8MP up to 3200. in full resoution the option is more limited. (including HDR, scene detection etc)

jonmorris

Apr 22, 2012
Hatfield, UK
www.jmcomms.com
I don't think we're getting an answer. It's dead here lol.

I'd go and look at the various threads on the Z1 forum as the camera is basically identical and there's load of good advice on getting the most from the Z1 from users who have had more time to experiment (and there simply being more users full stop).

Bear in mind that since .757 there have been a number of improvements. Auto mode is now actually quite good, especially in good lighting conditions, so some of the advice might be less relevant. I'd have been in the 'NEVER USE AUTO - ALWAYS USE MANUAL' camp but I think you might actually get away with auto now.

I still use manual modes, and have been blown away by the quality of some shots I've had over the last few days.

Like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/phosttk8pa8zkw8/2014-04-19 17.16.28.jpg

and this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5tkgofiylv43w1v/2014-04-19 17.15.22.jpg

(Both using Landscape SCN mode)

theprince1991

Dec 8, 2008
I'd go and look at the various threads on the Z1 forum as the camera is basically identical and there's load of good advice on getting the most from the Z1 from users who have had more time to experiment (and there simply being more users full stop).

Bear in mind that since .757 there have been a number of improvements. Auto mode is now actually quite good, especially in good lighting conditions, so some of the advice might be less relevant. I'd have been in the 'NEVER USE AUTO - ALWAYS USE MANUAL' camp but I think you might actually get away with auto now.

I still use manual modes, and have been blown away by the quality of some shots I've had over the last few days.

That is insane quality :eek:. No noise at all. Very detailed. Do you put HDR mode on? What is your focus mode? And what about metering?

I'll try the landscape SCN mode... I have found some pictures I have taken are blurry at the edges but your photo's don't really have that.

Iso setting can be changed at 8MP up to 3200. in full resoution the option is more limited. (including HDR, scene detection etc)

I thought the higher the ISO the more it lights up the scene but the higher the noise as well? I thought the best thing to do was to keep ISO low as possible.

Ok cool, I'm not really into post-processing, I just want to be able to point and shoot quickly and get decent picture quality. One thing that kind of annoys me about this phone is that the flash is very aggressive in manual mode (I set it to auto) and quite a lot of times I have to set it to off manually.

Manual mode is overwhelming enough for me! lol what other settings could there be to tweak?

Thanks for the advice guys, and that link is amazing btw!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't think we're getting an answer. It's dead here lol.