galaxy tab and a java applet =]

Search This thread

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
does it run java or not?

can someone go on a java applet and tell me what it says?or does?

guess ill have to buy one and see...

Last edited:

heythorp

Dec 27, 2010
Bay Area
Sorry to kick this one alive.

I was hoping I could run scottrades live ticker aplet on here. No luck so far.

Anyone know a way to run java aplet?

Thanks

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
Yeah it doesn't support a java applets. Test it on my friends. I wonder if honeycomb supports it?

Sent from my HTC HD2 using XDA App

fwelland

Jan 8, 2011
Mclean
Investigated this myself -- despite android have 'some java' built in (i.e. dalvik VM) it does't have a VM capable of running a java applet.

One of the big missing things in Dalvik is the class libraries that are part of a normal JVM/JRE/JDK. In particular, it doesn't have awt, and/or swing (class libs used for UI type stuff).

So applets -- nope. Sometime? Maybe ... I think the OpenJDK guys have all the needed class libs making it JDK compatible but not having any proprietary encumberances. Maybe using this, there is a snowball's chance in hell that some enterprising organization or person, could attempt to cobble in some sort of support for more vanilla java stuff; maybe even including applets.

anybody have any other info on this?

jvillejoe

Jul 6, 2010
In the swamp!
Investigated this myself -- despite android have 'some java' built in (i.e. dalvik VM) it does't have a VM capable of running a java applet.

One of the big missing things in Dalvik is the class libraries that are part of a normal JVM/JRE/JDK. In particular, it doesn't have awt, and/or swing (class libs used for UI type stuff).

So applets -- nope. Sometime? Maybe ... I think the OpenJDK guys have all the needed class libs making it JDK compatible but not having any proprietary encumberances. Maybe using this, there is a snowball's chance in hell that some enterprising organization or person, could attempt to cobble in some sort of support for more vanilla java stuff; maybe even including applets.

anybody have any other info on this?

Let us know thanks.:)