[Q] Sd Card Almost Maxed Out

Search This thread

gotsflat4love

Jun 2, 2010
So, I was looking at my SD Card info through settings and I only have 2.43gb free. I only have 7 songs, not many photos, videos or anything else. I went through my SD and cleaned it up, but nothing changed.

I am running SC 2.5v no theme, and nothing really on my SD card for roms, themes or anything like that. I know this is a stretch, but what could be taking so much memory on the SD. I don't have titanium, i have cleaned my back ups and don't back up my apps... I know. Crazy. Anyone have any ideas. I know you don't know what is on my SD but, anyone have this issue as well?

Jason Black

Aug 30, 2010
So, I was looking at my SD Card info through settings and I only have 2.43gb free. I only have 7 songs, not many photos, videos or anything else. I went through my SD and cleaned it up, but nothing changed.

I am running SC 2.5v no theme, and nothing really on my SD card for roms, themes or anything like that. I know this is a stretch, but what could be taking so much memory on the SD. I don't have titanium, i have cleaned my back ups and don't back up my apps... I know. Crazy. Anyone have any ideas. I know you don't know what is on my SD but, anyone have this issue as well?
Did you partition your sd card?

Sent From My CM 7 Nightly #7 (Mixer theme) Monster Evo.

KitsuneKnight

Jan 13, 2011
Mount the SD card on your computer and then select all the files in explorer (turn on show system files and hidden files first!), and check their total size (size and size on disk). If the size on disk for all the files is far lower than the amount reported as being used for the volume, something odd is probably up.

If the 'size on disk' is actually about the same as the amount of used space on the volume, you can then start checking the folders/files to see what's taking up the space.

@Jason Black: Why'd you want to repartition it? Or did you mean reformat it?

Kingali1997

Jan 31, 2011
Another thing you could do is look for hidden files on windows when u open up removable drive then on the upper the upper left hand side hit tools then view then scroll down and hit the bubble that says show hidden files and see if thats what's taking up space

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Jason Black

Aug 30, 2010
Mount the SD card on your computer and then select all the files in explorer (turn on show system files and hidden files first!), and check their total size (size and size on disk). If the size on disk for all the files is far lower than the amount reported as being used for the volume, something odd is probably up.

If the 'size on disk' is actually about the same as the amount of used space on the volume, you can then start checking the folders/files to see what's taking up the space.

@Jason Black: Why'd you want to repartition it? Or did you mean reformat it?

Non of that. I was simply asking of the sd card was partitioned.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Do you use ROM Manager, or have you used it? Also, do you have/use Titanium backup to create backups or have you done any nandroid backups in CWM? Also, if you download things on your phone, that would be another thing to check and clear out.

bleeeeeeek

May 10, 2007
Do you use ROM Manager, or have you used it? Also, do you have/use Titanium backup to create backups or have you done any nandroid backups in CWM? Also, if you download things on your phone, that would be another thing to check and clear out.

This

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Jason Black

Aug 30, 2010

Yeah you can try clearing download cache in rom manager and also, those nanbackups take up a good amount of space if you have a lot of apps and data. I also have 2.40g left. Thats a lot of space unless you are downloading movies lol.

Zacisblack

Dec 15, 2010
I recently had that issue and went through my sd card and deleted unnecessary files. Old Roms such as superclean 2.1-2.3 I found in multiple places each taking up about 150MB. The main culprit was the nandroid backups. I had 4 backups each took up about a gig. They were in the clockwork mod folder. Im now limiting myself to 1 backup at a time.

Reactions: eibbed0001

worwig

Jan 19, 2008
I had a lot of lost space on my card a while back. I suspect from removing the card/inserting the card while still mounted and losing clusters.

I simply put the card in my PC. Backed it up to my hard disk (hidden files and all). Formatted the card. Copied the files back. This restored the lost space. (and gave me a backup too which is handy)

gotsflat4love

Jun 2, 2010
Thanks everyone for the replies. I only have 3 nandroid back ups so far. I have rom manager, but the one adrynalyne posted with fix permissions. I have titanium, but dont use it.

I will mount my SD card to my comp and take a look at it. See if I can find hidden files.

gotsflat4love

Jun 2, 2010
Ok. I figures it out. I use a PC for rooting purpose stuff, but put a bunch of files on my SD card from a mac. Well I found out that when you delete files on your sd card from a mac.

It creats a hidden folder call .trash where it stores everything you delete. I used stock "My Files" hit menu when open, click more, setting then select show hidden files. You can delete all .trash or whatever .(folder) there. That is the hidden files mac create.

I hope this can help someone. Once i deleted those folders, I wernt from 1.8gb to 12.58 gb.

KitsuneKnight

Jan 13, 2011
Ok. I figures it out. I use a PC for rooting purpose stuff, but put a bunch of files on my SD card from a mac. Well I found out that when you delete files on your sd card from a mac.

It creats a hidden folder call .trash where it stores everything you delete. I used stock "My Files" hit menu when open, click more, setting then select show hidden files. You can delete all .trash or whatever .(folder) there. That is the hidden files mac create.

I hope this can help someone. Once i deleted those folders, I wernt from 1.8gb to 12.58 gb.

Macs also create other dot files when coping data, including a dot file for every file you copy over (it's to store the file's metadata... that's really not useful), as well as some others. Some poster around here has a link in his sig with a 'guide' on disabling those things...

Last edited:

eibbed0001

Mar 9, 2011
Northern Virginia
In my /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder i have 9 backups. I'm guessing I might want to keep the oldest one in case it has a backup of my stock phone (I'm rooted now) and the latest one. The rest can be deleted, right?

I recently had that issue and went through my sd card and deleted unnecessary files. Old Roms such as superclean 2.1-2.3 I found in multiple places each taking up about 150MB. The main culprit was the nandroid backups. I had 4 backups each took up about a gig. They were in the clockwork mod folder. Im now limiting myself to 1 backup at a time.

chopper the dog

Oct 17, 2008
The blood bath known as Chicago IL.
In my /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder i have 9 backups. I'm guessing I might want to keep the oldest one in case it has a backup of my stock phone (I'm rooted now) and the latest one. The rest can be deleted, right?
TBH I haven't made a back-up since december 2010 and have deleted all mine long ago. With odin/TiBkup I find it to be an error free process. Restores always seem to have their own issues so I just gave up on them. But yes you can delete all older ones and keep the most current.

good day.

Reactions: eibbed0001

beenz

Jul 31, 2010
^^ same here. Haven't done a nandroid since November. Nandroid backups are a pain. It only takes like 10 minutes to get all your settings back the way you want them after a good ol' clean odin. Plus titanium backup, of course

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA Premium App

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
Agreed. Delete all your old backups. I had about 10 on mine at one pint. They eat about 1gb each

I've been KANGBANGED!!!!!

eibbed0001

Mar 9, 2011
Northern Virginia
I've done a Nandroid restore a couple of times now and it went smoothly. A couple of cache and Dcache clears before, wipe data, clear caches again, install ROM, clear caches a couple of times, boot to make sure the ROM functions, then recovery, cache clearing, then advanced restore and restoring just data works for me. I used to use TiBu to restore everything but this has been working out fine, although I'd heard some people had problems with it. Although now that I think about it, I've only done this when re-flashing the same ROM as before. Maybe with different ROMS some things don't play nicely.

Still, I don't need 9 backups just sitting there taking up space, so thanks for the go ahead on deleting them. And I still do TiBu and MyBu backups because I've found you can never have too many resources when things go bad!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

TBH I haven't made a back-up since december 2010 and have deleted all mine long ago. With odin/TiBkup I find it to be an error free process. Restores always seem to have their own issues so I just gave up on them. But yes you can delete all older ones and keep the most current.

good day.