Top layer of the screen cracked, poor build quality?

Search This thread

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
From day one when I got my Folio the right bottom of the screen is a bit coming out of the black "frame" (1-2mm). But lately its getting worser and tonight when I hold the Folio on that spot like usual, the top plastic layer suddenly cracked.
The screen itself is unharmed and as for the touch part, all still work fine.

This should be covered by the warranty I hope. Looks like a poor build quality. Only got the device for like 2-3 weeks. *sigh*

Should I flash it back to the stock rom? Since its running Dexter's Mod 1.3C now.
They only need to replace the plastic layer and maybe the touch part, idk.

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/thepretorian/Toshiba Folio 100 - Screen cracked/

Some pics of the crack, the board doesn't allow me to post links because my post count.

Last edited:

Nemo0815

May 19, 2008
Well i would say hold it more carefully, the screen is glass and cracks like glass (if you want it to).

killerbie

Aug 18, 2009
Antwerpen
From day one when I got my Folio the right bottom of the screen is a bit coming out of the black "frame" (1-2mm). But lately its getting worser and tonight when I hold the Folio on that spot like usual, the top plastic layer suddenly cracked.
The screen itself is unharmed and as for the touch part, all still work fine.

This should be covered by the warranty I hope. Looks like a poor build quality. Only got the device for like 2-3 weeks. *sigh*

Should I flash it back to the stock rom? Since its running Dexter's Mod 1.3C now.
They only need to replace the plastic layer and maybe the touch part, idk.

img337.imageshack.us/img337/6633/img1908nh.jpg
img87.imageshack.us/img87/1899/img1914n.jpg
Some pics of the crack, the board doesn't allow me to post links because my post count.

I am from Belguim too, and i have the same thing!
It didn't (yet) cracked here but still...
I thought it was because I always hold it with my left hand, normally warranty should fix the problem for you. (as long as the screen isn't cracked!!)

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Did a factory reset and flashed it back to the stock rom. Don't want anyone getting hand on my "personal" data like logins/emails etc when you know how confidential ppl work at repair centers.

The screen itself is untouched, touch works fine even in the cracked area's. It is really that plastic/glass layer on top. I'm taking it back to the store tomorrow.

Killerbie, watch out around that area and don't put too much pressure on it when you hold it there. I was holding it with my right thumb (and palm of course) and then it suddenly happened. The layer doesn't fit very well in the black frame around it.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
I just came back from the store and they refuse to take it under warranty. Even though everything works, touch part (even in the cracked area's), screen is untouched (no liquid leaking or spots), etc.

I'm going to call Toshiba Support directly and see what they say. Since I'm not the only one with that 1-2mm popping out at the right corner. It is just a matter of time the glass cracks on other's Folio.

I've also added more pics and a video showing the touch part is still working fine. But I don't dare to push on the cracked area to prevent further damaging.

http://s861.photobucket.com/albums/ab178/thepretorian/Toshiba Folio 100 - Screen cracked/

Last edited:

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
Despite being very carefully with my hardware, I noticed the screen is beginning to come loose. It's not as bad as I've seen on your pictures but worrying nevertheless. It's only 1 month old.
Looks like the folio 100 don't like being handled with just one hand.
Did you contact Toshiba, and what did they say?

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Well after a couple of phone calls to Toshiba they agreed to pick it up and gave me an RMA. After a couple days I got an Email with some information and RMA number written in bad Dutch.

Saying that I have to print and sign this document stating that I agree to be charged in case the repair-center deem that the broken glass top is not covered by the warranty.
Due to that phrase and the fact if I sign, I'm screwed either way, because the device has to be fixed anyway. Also in the email they mentioned that I have to sent it to Czech Republic. Means that would cost me 44 euro to UPS it (sending faulty devices by regular post packs is a big no no).

-------------------------
Klacht omschrijving: The glas from the display is down in the right corner some milimeters bigger than it has to be

Door ondertekening van dit document gaat u akkoord met het volgende:

De tablet-PC zal worden getest en / of gerepareerd door Pegatron Czech s.r.o. namens Toshiba binnen de garantie van de fabrikant.
Mogt de reparateur bepalen dat de fout niet is gedekt door de garantie (bv. gebroken LCD), ontvangt de klant een offerte van de kosten van de reparateur. Als de klant weigert de kosten te betalen, zal het apparaat weer ongerepareerd worden teruggestuurd.
Nog Toshiba, nog de hersteller zijn verantwoordelijk voor het verlies van gegevens die tijdens de reparatie opkomen.
-------------------------

So I mailed them back that on the phone the lady spoke of a pick up etc... No reply for one week. So I decided it to give it another try at the store.
This time it was a different person at the counter, I did my story, said that I contacted Toshiba and they agreed to repair it etc. And now its at their repair center for a week now.

And right after 2 weeks I sent that mail to Toshiba about that pickup, they finally replied back, saying, indeed a pick up will be done by UPS or TNT... and that they will contact me for the pick up.
So from calling to Toshiba, to get the device picked up... will take 2 weeks! *unacceptable*

So right now I'm ignoring Toshiba and hoping that the store is really going to repair it under warranty. Since its not a crystal breach. Just the top layer(glass/plastic, etc).

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, mine is just the result of the problem.

Last edited:

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
Hm, sounds promising...not.
As said mine is not as bad as yours and my screen isn't cracked (yet).
I'm gonna send a mail to the shop I bought it from (Dynabyte NL), at this point it's acceptable but I don't want to wait till the problem gets bigger.
Thanks for your respond and I hope it works out for you.

The Hellion

Jan 30, 2011
Despite being very carefully with my hardware, I noticed the screen is beginning to come loose. It's not as bad as I've seen on your pictures but worrying nevertheless. It's only 1 month old.
Looks like the folio 100 don't like being handled with just one hand.
Did you contact Toshiba, and what did they say?

Mine is also bulging, and it has never been handled with just one hand... Actually, it has never been handled, because I just bought it yesterday, and I have not even unsealed the plastic bag; touching it you can clearly feel the bulge, so I believe it is not that the screen comes unstuck after use, but that there is something pressing it outwards, that causes it to bulge first, and to crack later on. Of course, mine is going out tomorrow; I will exchange it for a non-pregnant folio, if available, because there are several people reporting the same problem, and in any case, will take out insurance on it; that way any potential trouble will be covered, either by the guarantee or by the insurance.

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Glad that there are other people having this problem too. That was my first impression to, that something under the glass/screen is pushing it 1-2mm out. And after a while it sticking more out due to usage of the tablet.

Right after I got my tablet accepted at the store for repair, I went inside and checked the demo device if it had the problem too. And indeed, there it was also sticking out. I'm really disappointed in Toshiba :(

Trumpfz

Jan 9, 2010
My screen is coming out a little bit too. At the Bottom, middle or slight right of the middle.

Funny thing is that my touchscreen sometimes just stops responding and then I have to slightly press that plastic frame part on the bottom and instantly after pushing it the touchscreen works again. So the tablet basically wants me to push it on that bulge. :(

Reactions: bastospn

tobr

Dec 30, 2010
Screen gapping away 2mm at the bottom

The same with my folio. Yesterday I RMAed it for repair.
The screen at the bottom is about 2mm gapped away so that it could be easily teared off by an accident. I didn't noticed it at first because I use original lether toshiba case.

Definitely it was the real cause of all my problems with responsiveness. Folio was often unresponsiveness at the bottom edge. After I pressed the gapped away plastic surface back down into its correct position then responsiveness was OK for some time until the gap reappeared again.

I think that everybody should check his/her folio. Maybe it could be a wide spread problem.

p.s. And all the time I was thinkink that it was a SW problem :-(

Last edited:

Trumpfz

Jan 9, 2010
I asked in this Thread if maybe someone knows how to repair this as this is an Hardware issue. Maybe it's just a wrong screw that pushes the touchscreen out of the frame.

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
Took my folio to the shop today, it's going back to Toshiba for repair.
Got the option to trade mine in for a demo-model, but unfortunately it had the same problem. It's probably gonna take some weeks before I hear what's gonna happen. Repair, replace or nothing, we'll see.

I don't think it has to do with screws, while this problem is always on the bottom side it's not always on the exact same place.
Looks like some sort of tension, mine was ok when I bought it, one month later it's loose from the bottom-middle all the way to the right side.

Last edited:

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Mine has been sitting at the repair center for more than a week... no new updates at all... sigh.

Description
TOSHIBA FOLIO 100 TABLET
Article nr.
Serienr.
xxxxxxxxxx
Purchase date
23-12-10
Accessories
orig. box, inner packaging, tablet device(broken glass), adapter, power cord , tissue, manual, copy invoice
Complain
From day one the glass is sticking out a little bit at the right bottom of the device. The customer didn't return it while he has noticed that. By pressing on that spot, the glass cracked during a normal use. The customer has already contacted Toshiba and they "agree" to repair the device under warranty.

Last update
25-01-11 08:25
History

25-01-11 08:25 Broken device received at Servicenter 025

It is some kind of tension/pressure squeezing the screen together, like it doesn't really fit the frame.
So like Tobr said, everyone should check it out and report it to this thread so in case the store or Toshiba is charging you for the repairs, you can at least print or point them to this thread, saying that is a general problem.

Last edited:

SoJoS

Sep 10, 2009
Flevoland
According to the shop it could easily take one month before it's back, so I'll just wait and hope for the best.
Checking your device is indeed a good idea, an if you can live with the problem maybe get a written statement that your not responsible when the screen decides to crack.

Last edited:

bastospn

Nov 27, 2010
Took my folio to the shop today, it's going back to Toshiba for repair.
Got the option to trade mine in for a demo-model, but unfortunately it had the same problem. It's probably gonna take some weeks before I hear what's gonna happen. Repair, replace or nothing, we'll see.

I don't think it has to do with screws, while this problem is always on the bottom side it's not always on the exact same place.
Looks like some sort of tension, mine was ok when I bought it, one month later it's loose from the bottom-middle all the way to the right side.
I was able to introduce a thin peace of plastic between the frame and the screen and its much better now.
This way the plastic cover wont break and it responds way better.

bastospn

Nov 27, 2010
I doubt that toshiba fixes this by replacing anything. If they used their brain they could solve this before it brakes

thepretorian

Jan 31, 2008
Brussels
Well it must be a miss calculation of the sizes or places where the components are placed. So if they replace/fix the screen, the chances are big the bulging is still there.
But according the the European warranty law, if some thing is repaired for the 3rd time within the warranty period, they have to give you a brand new device or your money back. Still 23months to go (the warranty) here. Its gonna be a long journey :(

Finally after almost 2 weeks, some updates at the status page of the repair center

History
Date Hour Action Info
25-01-11 08:25 Faulty device received at Servicenter 025
03-02-11 15:08 Sending to dispatch 034
03-02-11 15:08 Send papers printed

So who knows, I might have it back somewhere next week. Other info on the page also mention "charged: 0.00EUR".
Lets hope it is 0.00EUR. Because on the phone with Toshiba themselves last time, they said replacing the screen will cost me 130.00EUR.

Last edited:

bastospn

Nov 27, 2010
Well it must be a miss calculation of the sizes or places where the components are placed. So if they replace/fix the screen, the chances are big the bulging is still there.
But according the the European warranty law, if some thing is repaired for the 3rd time within the warranty period, they have to give you a brand new device or your money back. Still 23months to go (the warranty) here. Its gonna be a long journey :(

Finally after almost 2 weeks, some updates at the status page of the repair center

So who knows, I might have it back somewhere next week. Other info on the page also mention "charged: 0.00EUR".
Lets hope it is 0.00EUR. Because on the phone with Toshiba themselves last time, they said replacing the screen will cost me 130.00EUR.
I take same glue and I fix it myself I know warranty is gone but at least I don't wait a month :) I will try to do some mod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My screen is coming out a little bit too. At the Bottom, middle or slight right of the middle.

Funny thing is that my touchscreen sometimes just stops responding and then I have to slightly press that plastic frame part on the bottom and instantly after pushing it the touchscreen works again. So the tablet basically wants me to push it on that bulge. :(