[Q] FileMate Clear 7" T720 tablet

Search This thread

ghound

May 12, 2008
I got one of these for my daughter for xmas. I spent a few days trying to root it with no luck. I'm not intimately familiar with android (some unix experience), but I tried all the options I could find for rooting Allwinner a10 devices. At first I ran into problems with adb unable to recognize the device for most one-click methods. I downloaded the android tools and was able to connect with the included adb. After studying the scripts, they all use the "adb root" command to gain root access on the device and copy the necessary files. Unfortunately, this command fails using adb from the tools. At first I thought this was due to my adb version, but after doing some research I think it is actually due to the device kernel. I believe it requires reflashing or some exploit to be able to gain root. I was able to install root explorer and I can browse all the necessary directories but I can't modify or copy the necessary files into them. Busybox told me there was an older version installed, but wouldn't let me install a newer version (again I think due to the permissions). Also, superuser would say it installed but the su binary did not show up on the bin directory. As the necessary directories are all owned by root, I couldn't figure out a way to modify the permissions...

Reactions: ezzie

ferny_dx

Apr 24, 2011
sorry i never saw this post i've bought 2 of these and i rooted them,

i wish i could get a better build for them though, too many app crashes and the internet connectivity sucks

i used a method by Bin4ry called root with restore, v17 worked any ways i have the zip if you would like it

Reactions: Droid7of9

ferny_dx

Apr 24, 2011

i wish i could get a better build for them though, too many app crashes and the internet connectivity sucks

i used a method by Bin4ry called root with restore, v17 worked any ways i have the zip if you would like it

Screw it, here it is for future reference.

Attachments

• Root_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v17.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,211
Reactions: ezzie and D1358531

jiberish05

Jan 24, 2013
How'd you do it!?!?

FileMate Clear T720
Thank you very much for being the only person ever to have posted in regards to this tablet. I just got mine for christmas and have been trying to get it rooted. I've tried a lot of those one-click methods, and I've even tried this Bin4ary method. but it just hangs up on "daemon started sucessfully*"

Can you please direct me to the filemate drivers (if needed)

also, I have usb debugging endable, allowing 3rd party (not secure) files enabled. and pulling my hair out (enabled).

Thanks again.
Also, I'm running windows 7 and 8, (((maybe i should try win7))) hmm. i'll get back to you on that. Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated, since returning it doesn't sound very fun.

ferny_dx

Apr 24, 2011
FileMate Clear T720
pulling my hair out (enabled)..

I laughed so hard. ok your going to have to install drivers by force,

first off do you happen to have android sdk installed? if you don't there is another way but its going to sound weird,

if you do have the android SDK installed:

1. go to your computer manager (by opening explorer, right click on the "computer" group on the left column and select manager)

2. look for any unrecognized item that appears, ( it will most likely be labeled "Clear" with a faded icon and a "?" sign on top

3. right click and choose "Update drivers", it will give you options, choose "Browse my computer for driver software", another option screen will show,

4. at the bottom of the window there will be an option that says "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

5. on the screen that appears there should be an option that says "ADB Interface", choose this

6. choose "Google, Inc.">"ADB Testing Interface version x.x.x.x" (I chose version 2.1.0.0)

that should do it next time you plug in the tablet try running ddms or open the cmd and type in "adb devices" (assuming you have adb installed) and it should show.

if this helps just hit the thanks button :)

[edit] I am running windows 8 btw [/edit]

Last edited:

jiberish05

Jan 24, 2013
ADB interface doesn't show up

Thank you very much for getting me farther, however I dont see ADB interface. I'm looking into it right now. I just re-installed the sdk drivers and will keep at it.

BTW, is it even worth doing this? the main reason I want to do it, is so i can connect my ps3 remote via bluetooth, and possibly a little overclocking. Have you had any luck OC it?

Thanks again :) Much appreciated:good:

ferny_dx

Apr 24, 2011
Thank you very much for getting me farther, however I dont see ADB interface. I'm looking into it right now. I just re-installed the sdk drivers and will keep at it.

BTW, is it even worth doing this? the main reason I want to do it, is so i can connect my ps3 remote via bluetooth, and possibly a little overclocking. Have you had any luck OC it?

Thanks again :) Much appreciated:good:

open up SDK manager and go to Extras>"Google USB Drivers"
also install everything in the "Android 4.0 (API 14)" section, I have other options installed if this still doesn't work.

its worth it just for the extra stuff that root comes with like titanium backup, but you cant over clock, if you go any higher than 1200 MHz it will lock up and you have to force it to reset.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
HERE is the link to root as provided earlier

Click Here to download ADB universal drivers. they should work better than the google USB drivers.

---------- Post added at 12:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

this seems kind of spammy. What backs up my claim is that you dont have more than 5 posts...

Thanks for the link to my post on android central, the link in that post just comes back the xda thread

Root MANY ANDROID! [Upd: 20.11.2013] - Added Z1 Root

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk

Droid7of9

Dec 29, 2013
Rooted Filemate Clear

I just wanted to confirm I have also rooted the Clear with the Bin4ry v33 exploit using option 1. Although I received the following error:

remote object '/system/bin/ric' does not exist
Going to copy files to it's place
Rebooting again, please wait!
Could Not Find C:\Documents and Settings\Graham School\My Documents\Downloads\Ro
ot_with_Restore_by_Bin4ry_v33\ric
Restoring previous Backup! Please select the RESTORE MY DATA option now on your
device!

SuperSu installed and root apps working.

Jfender1005

Aug 3, 2014
Bloomington
Rooted With Kingo

I just bought one of these cheap to play with and used Kingo to root it. Worked first time, no problem. The only issue I am having is that the SuperSu binaries are failing to update but root is still working. Titanium is working and Root Explorer so I can debloat. Hope that helps is anyone is still trying to use these :)

I just bought one of these cheap to play with and used Kingo to root it. Worked first time, lem. The only issue I am having is that the SuperSu binaries are failing to update but root is still working. Titanium is working and Root Explorer so I can debloat. Hope that helps is anyone is still trying to use these :)

please tell me where in the world you got the Kingo root?

As far as being unable to update binaries, try to find a custom recovery and install. From there, you can inject them via su-binary update.zip and bam!

Jfender1005

Aug 3, 2014
Bloomington
Kingoroot

please tell me where in the world you got the Kingo root?

As far as being unable to update binaries, try to find a custom recovery and install. From there, you can inject them via su-binary update.zip and bam!

http://www.kingoapp.com/android-root.htm

That is the link for the Kingo site. The first time I saw it on here there was some question about whether it was safe becase it is not open source and used a Chinese SuperSu app. I felt safe using it on a tablet because I do no banking on it or anything, but the newest posts I have seen are that Kingo is safe. Hope that helps. And if you know where to find a custom recovery that will work with this app please let me know.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FileMate Clear T720
    pulling my hair out (enabled)..

I laughed so hard. ok your going to have to install drivers by force,

first off do you happen to have android sdk installed? if you don't there is another way but its going to sound weird,

if you do have the android SDK installed:

1. go to your computer manager (by opening explorer, right click on the "computer" group on the left column and select manager)

2. look for any unrecognized item that appears, ( it will most likely be labeled "Clear" with a faded icon and a "?" sign on top

3. right click and choose "Update drivers", it will give you options, choose "Browse my computer for driver software", another option screen will show,

4. at the bottom of the window there will be an option that says "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

5. on the screen that appears there should be an option that says "ADB Interface", choose this

6. choose "Google, Inc.">"ADB Testing Interface version x.x.x.x" (I chose version 2.1.0.0)

that should do it next time you plug in the tablet try running ddms or open the cmd and type in "adb devices" (assuming you have adb installed) and it should show.

if this helps just hit the thanks button :)

[edit] I am running windows 8 btw [/edit]
    I got one of these for my daughter for xmas. I spent a few days trying to root it with no luck. I'm not intimately familiar with android (some unix experience), but I tried all the options I could find for rooting Allwinner a10 devices. At first I ran into problems with adb unable to recognize the device for most one-click methods. I downloaded the android tools and was able to connect with the included adb. After studying the scripts, they all use the "adb root" command to gain root access on the device and copy the necessary files. Unfortunately, this command fails using adb from the tools. At first I thought this was due to my adb version, but after doing some research I think it is actually due to the device kernel. I believe it requires reflashing or some exploit to be able to gain root. I was able to install root explorer and I can browse all the necessary directories but I can't modify or copy the necessary files into them. Busybox told me there was an older version installed, but wouldn't let me install a newer version (again I think due to the permissions). Also, superuser would say it installed but the su binary did not show up on the bin directory. As the necessary directories are all owned by root, I couldn't figure out a way to modify the permissions...