[Q] At&t to T-Mobile

Search This thread

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Here's the issue. I purchased the At&t s3 (SGH-I747) last year. Long story short, I wanted to go to T-Mobile prepaid with the same phone.
I purchased the SIM activation kit for $10, popped my SIM in and it worked!
Before I put the SIM in it though, I paid for an unlock code. I still have the code.
No 'Network Unlock' screen.
No prompt for my unlock code.
I am getting H+ speeds with the at&t s3 on T-Mobile prepaid without doing ANYTHING.

My question is:

Why cant I get to the unlock screen? I have tried to dial "#7465625*638*# for the prompt to popup and NOTHING.

Can someone tell me...
1. Can I flash a T-mobile rom to this phone? (every time i try I get a build.prop error, even after changing the model to the T999 and all that jazz),
so I can't install a T-Mo rom?

2. Do I have to flash a modem/radio or anything else like that?

3. Or, should I just continue to flash At&t Roms with the t-mo prepaid sim?

I have searched for a while now, and noone has my problem. I never expected to just switch sim's and it would work, so ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Reactions: cmwest

Okaham

Nov 3, 2011
Here's the issue. I purchased the At&t s3 (SGH-I747) last year. Long story short, I wanted to go to T-Mobile prepaid with the same phone.
Before I put the SIM in it though, I paid for an unlock code. I still have the code.
I am getting H+ speeds with the at&t s3 on T-Mobile prepaid without doing ANYTHING.

My question is:

Why cant I get to the unlock screen? I have tried to dial "#7465625*638*# for the prompt to popup and NOTHING.

Can someone tell me...
1. Can I flash a T-mobile rom to this phone? (every time i try I get a build.prop error, even after changing the model to the T999 and all that jazz),

I have searched for a while now, and noone has my problem. I never expected to just switch sim's and it would work, so ANY help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

since your device is still an AT&T branded Galaxy S III (SGH-i747), you must keep with ROMs designed for that phone. flashing T-Mobile branded Galaxy S III (SGH-T999) ROMs will brick your device, same thing goes for flashing modems.

just because your SIM and Carrier is now T-Mobile, doesn't mean your phone is.

Reactions: bradhoschar

tower_gilead

since your device is still an AT&T branded Galaxy S III (SGH-i747), you must keep with ROMs designed for that phone. flashing T-Mobile branded Galaxy S III (SGH-T999) ROMs will brick your device, same thing goes for flashing modems.

You got that right.

:thumbup:

Sent while sleeping in chair.

Da Kine

Apr 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, Ca

Wrong. Flashing an rom meant for the AT&T variant of the S3 on a T-Mobile variant S3 and vice versa will not brick the device. APN setting may get messed up and you have to enter them manually but it will not brick the device. Flashing a ROM for the international S3 on a U.S. variant of the S3 and vice versa will brick the device.

I wouldn't recommend flashing modems between the variants of S3s, that may or may not brick the device but wouldn't try it.

|When Emotion Goes up, Logic Goes Down|

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

My question is:

Can someone tell me...

Thanks!

If you want to unlock the S3 (you must be stock to do this, stocked rooted may work, but I'm not sure):

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu
[1] UMTS
[1] Debug Screen
[8] Phone Control
[6] Network Lock
Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
(after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in
[6] Network Lock then choose
[4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone

Last edited:

xmanberserker

Feb 12, 2011
Hello.

If you have signal then why are you trying to use the code? It is unlocked already!

im not an expert but this is what i know from reading a lot:

1.- I installed a t-mobile (t999) rom modified to work in a att s3 (i747), i think you can flash a any rom from the t999 section (i am not sure about this)

2.- Do NOT try to install a modem from t-mobile or you will hard brick your phone.

3.- Thats a good idea, do it and let me know if it works.

I used this files to convert an i747 to a t999 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771021&page=25 (read from post #246) so now i use customs roms for the t999 i did it because where i live do not have good signal, was stuck at edge and with those files now i have 3g signal.

Btw, i am in the $30 prepaid t mo plan.

Last edited:
re: Hmm

Hello.

If you have signal then why are you trying to use the code? It is unlocked already!

im not an expert but this is what i know from reading a lot:

1.- I installed a t-mobile (t999) rom modified to work in a att s3 (i747), i think you can flash a any rom from the t999 section (i am not sure about this)

2.- Do NOT try to install a modem from t-mobile or you will hard brick your phone.

3.- Thats a good idea, do it and let me know if it works.

I used this files to convert an i747 to a t999 http://xdaforums.com/show...771021&page=25 (read from post #246) so now i use customs roms for the t999 i did it because where i live do not have good signal, was stuck at edge and with those files now i have 3g signal.

Btw, i am in the $30 prepaid t mo plan.

#1: If you have a Unlocked AT&T I747 Galaxy S3 you don't need any files to convert it to work on any T999 Tmobile roms.
#2: You can use any T999 Tmobile custom roms as long as you have an Unlocked & Rooted AT&T Galaxy S3 I747 Phone.
#3: There is no such thing as installing or flashing any files which would would change the frequency for 3G on a I747 phone.

#4: Your link is dead... LOL

Reactions: mrlamo

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
#1: If you have a Unlocked AT&T I747 Galaxy S3 you don't need any files to convert it to work on any T999 Tmobile roms.
#2: You can use any T999 Tmobile custom roms as long as you have an Unlocked & Rooted AT&T Galaxy S3 I747 Phone.
#3: There is no such thing as installing or flashing any files which would would change the frequency for 3G on a I747 phone.

#4: Your link is dead... LOL

That is not true. Before following these instructions ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771021&page=25 ) I could NOT install any t-mo rom as CWM verifies the make/model before installing the rom.
Hence, me having the 'installation cannot continue' build.prop=d2att.
So, now AFTER flashing the 4 files, I was able to install 3 different T-Mobile ROMS. XTREMEPERIA ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2199018 ) was the only one that is giving me 4G. I know, I know, its all in the APN settings, but this is the only one that gave me truly 4G speeds with a T-Mo sim.
:)

Last edited:
re: 3G/4G

That is not true. Before following these instructions ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1771021&page=25 ) I could NOT install any t-mo rom as CWM verifies the make/model before installing the rom.
Hence, me having the 'installation cannot continue' build.prop=d2att.
So, now AFTER flashing the 4 files, I was able to install 3 different T-Mobile ROMS. XTREMEPERIA ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2199018 ) was the only one that is giving me 4G. I know, I know, its all in the APN settings, but this is the only one that gave me truly 4G speeds with a T-Mo sim.
:)

You are right, clockworkmod (Rom Manager) does verify, however if you select
and flash the Tmobile T999 recovery image when flashing clockworkmod recovery
all is fine.

Another thing, if you have a unlocked i747 and flash any Tmobile cwm zip file rom as
soon as it reboots and you check the network in the phones settings it will display
"T-Mobile US" and will work properly without the need of any other files or conversions.

However the Unlocked I747 will never work with Tmobile's 3G or 4G networks.

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You are right, clockworkmod (Rom Manager) does verify, however if you select
and flash the Tmobile T999 recovery image when flashing clockworkmod recovery
all is fine.

Another thing, if you have a unlocked i747 and flash any Tmobile cwm zip file rom as
soon as it reboots and you check the network in the phones settings it will display
"T-Mobile US" and will work properly without the need of any other files or conversions.

However the Unlocked I747 will never work with Tmobile's 3G or 4G networks.

Ahh...good tip about CWM

I currently have 4g on my unlocked S3 from at&t currently on T-Mobile.

And, when I was on stock, I had 3g

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Quit saying you are using a T-Mobile radio before you help someone brick their phone. The radio files are NOT interchangeable between ANY of the US variants!

Oh, my bad. I thought 'modem' and 'radio' were the same thing.

THEY ARE!!!!
Notice in the picture how under the 'phone' tab, it says MODEM.
Yes, I flashed all 4, and now have a t-mobile setup on an at&t s3.

Attachments

• tmobile.jpg
    tmobile.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 292

EtherealRemnant

Oh, my bad. I thought 'modem' and 'radio' were the same thing.

THEY ARE!!!!
Notice in the picture how under the 'phone' tab, it says MODEM.
Yes, I flashed all 4, and now have a t-mobile setup on an at&t s3.

You need to specify that you are using an engineering image that T-Mobile used on the 747 before the T-999 was available to test the device. In general if you flash a T-Mobile radio image to a 747, you risk losing calls and data at minimum and a hard brick at worst. It is imperative to make sure to point out that it only works with THAT engineering set.

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
You need to specify that you are using an engineering image that T-Mobile used on the 747 before the T-999 was available to test the device. In general if you flash a T-Mobile radio image to a 747, you risk losing calls and data at minimum and a hard brick at worst. It is imperative to make sure to point out that it only works with THAT engineering set.

Ahh...gotcha. Thats what it states in THAT OP, I just thought that once that build was on the phone, from that point on, any T-Mo anything would work. I did have the watermark on my wallpaper, but everything else said 't-mobile'.

But, yes in general, if you flash TMO onto AT&T, there be dragons.

Thanks all, and happy flashing!

EtherealRemnant

Even with that configuration, the only thing T-Mobile you can flash is recovery and custom ROMs. A T-999 baseband or boot loader could very well cause a brick. Its a dangerous hack because it has everyone confused. For all intents and purposes, it is 747 software with T-Mobile's AWS capability. In fact it doesn't even seem to have DC-HSPA, only HSPA+ (21mbps versus 42). It has the benefit of supporting T-Mo LTE though.

bradhoschar

Apr 7, 2011
Pittsburgh
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Awesome

Even with that configuration, the only thing T-Mobile you can flash is recovery and custom ROMs. A T-999 baseband or boot loader could very well cause a brick. Its a dangerous hack because it has everyone confused. For all intents and purposes, it is 747 software with T-Mobile's AWS capability. In fact it doesn't even seem to have DC-HSPA, only HSPA+ (21mbps versus 42). It has the benefit of supporting T-Mo LTE though.

Very good to know! Thanks for the info. Perhaps when T-Mo refarms their LTE, I won't have to do much to this beastly phone!

Thanks all!

:good:

EtherealRemnant

Very good to know! Thanks for the info. Perhaps when T-Mo refarms their LTE, I won't have to do much to this beastly phone!

Thanks all!

:good:

It doesn't make sense for T-Mobile to refarm their LTE. The 1700 AWS band is the most efficient spectrum they currently own and the AWS spectrum is going to be the most compatible across LTE networks. T-Mobile has pretty much no chance of ever getting the 700MHz that at&t and Verizon are using.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Wrong. Flashing an rom meant for the AT&T variant of the S3 on a T-Mobile variant S3 and vice versa will not brick the device. APN setting may get messed up and you have to enter them manually but it will not brick the device. Flashing a ROM for the international S3 on a U.S. variant of the S3 and vice versa will brick the device.

I wouldn't recommend flashing modems between the variants of S3s, that may or may not brick the device but wouldn't try it.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

My question is:

Can someone tell me...

Thanks!

If you want to unlock the S3 (you must be stock to do this, stocked rooted may work, but I'm not sure):

Just dial the following keys *#197328640#

Main Menu
    [1] UMTS
    [1] Debug Screen
    [8] Phone Control
    [6] Network Lock
    Options [3]Perso SHA256 OFF
    (after choosing this option, wait about 30 seconds, then go back one step by pressing the Menu button then select Back, now you are in
    [6] Network Lock then choose
    [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ..... wait for a minute then reboot your phone

My question is:

Can someone tell me...

Thanks!

My question is:

Can someone tell me...

Thanks!

What apn are you using?

This solved it. I changed the apn to fast.t-mobile.com (and also searched for and linked to the tmobile network) and it hooked right up to 4g-lte. Thanks