People that call root jailbreak...

Search This thread

gowansta

Apr 23, 2010
Kinda annoying. Ya think? Must have had an iPhone for a bit and can't quit!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Mastelotto

dmonger11b

Jul 18, 2012
Also gotta consider that most people's only exposure to smart phone terminology is from Icrap

Reactions: shill1986

BoostedB18C

Sep 19, 2012
San Jose

Since Adam is the name behind unlocking the bootloader, he started calling it jailbreak due to the fact that there are now legal issues with "unlocking." Yes we all know the legal issue with unlocking is about unlocking to use on a different carrier. To make it easier for people to understand that he is not involved in unlocking carriers, we now jailbreak.

Sent From My Beans Powered Note2

Last edited:
Reactions: 1ManWolfePack

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
Since Adam is the name behind unlocking the bootloader, he started calling it jailbreak due to the fact that there are now legal issues with "unlocking." Yes we all know the legal issue with unlocking is about unlocking to use on a different carrier. To make it easier for people to understand that he is not involved in unlocking carriers, we now jailbreak.

Adam was calling it that well before it became illegal to unlock to another carrier.

But it is not the same. Jailbreak is to make a device be able to accept sideloading applications. Android doesn't need to do this. So there is no jailbreak for Android.

Unlocking, though now illegal, is not jailbreaking (making a device to accept sideloading apps).

Calling unlocking "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with less techy people.

Summary of Devices

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (SGH-T889)
Android Version: 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
Build: JRO03C.T889UVALL4 (Rooted)
Root Method: mrRobinson injected root stock rom
Superuser: SuperSu Pro v1.0
Busybox: Busybox v1.20.2

Device: Motorola DROID X
Android Version: 2.3.3 Gingerbread
Build: 4.5.605.Accurate_Battery (Rooted)

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com
But it is not the same. Jailbreak is to make a device be able to accept sideloading applications. Android doesn't need to do this. So there is no jailbreak for Android.

Unlocking, though now illegal, is not jailbreaking (making a device to accept sideloading apps).

Calling unlocking "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with less techy people.

If you dont like it, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude about it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Agree 100%.

So annoying. There are lots of questions on Android forums now about jailbreaking Android. But there is no jailbreak in Android, because we have the sideloading settings within our settings menu (Settings > Security > Device administration > Unknown sources).

Calling unlocking a device with the name of "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with the less techy people.

What really they are asking is "how to root my Android device".

But they need to understand is what root really is. And what it is to have administration permissions in any Unix/Linux, including Android. Only then they will stop calling root with the name "jailbreak".

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

If you dont like it, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude about it.

Talking about it is educating people about it. Educating people is what we can do to change it. That is what I am doing.

What are you doing?

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Do we really need a thread on this in the Verizon Note 2 Section?

Yes.

This is educating people to use the correct terminology. When they use correct terminology then they will get better responses to their questions.

Summary of Devices

Dakota0206

Sep 17, 2011
www.okc-tech.com
Talking about it is educating people about it. Educating people is what we can do to change it. That is what I am doing.

What are you doing?

You got me. The only thing I am doing is questioning the logic of "educating" people by posting on the second page of a device specific thread, and how that is going to lead to real change for the entire Android development community that isnt limited to just XDA. Especially when its just a hobby to 90% of the community.

DaRkL3AD3R

Dec 5, 2010
Alright here comes my subjective take on this whole jailbreaking Android devices thing.

Do I hate it? Yep.

In my 3 years on Android and gaining root privileges on various devices I have never seen it referred to as jailbreaking, until I got this Note 2. Now I see it everywhere in the Android scenes.

Another thing I noticed is that with the Note 2 never have I seen so many iDerps come on the forums professing their new found relationships with Android and how they broke up with iOS. This thread can be considered useless but my God are those iConvert threads the Queens of Useless Threads. Why does anyone give a s*** that you converted to Android? Really?

Point being made here is that with the influx of iDolt users converting to Android there's an uncanny correlation with their terminology starting to crop up more and more.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Agree 100%.

So annoying. There are lots of questions on Android forums now about jailbreaking Android. But there is no jailbreak in Android, because we have the sideloading settings within our settings menu (Settings > Security > Device administration > Unknown sources).

Calling unlocking a device with the name of "jailbreak" is just adding the confusion with the less techy people.

But they need to understand is what root really is. And what it is to have administration permissions in any Unix/Linux, including Android. Only then they will stop calling root with the name "jailbreak".

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

What are you doing?

Summary of Devices

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Yes.

This is educating people to use the correct terminology. When they use correct terminology then they will get better responses to their questions.

Summary of Devices

I guess I need to get more tech savvy because I thought when I was buying and selling I phones (those things are gold) I wrote to and modified system files. I thought to accept the gevy unlock it psyched and changed system files. I guess I'm wing though because jail breaking is only for side loading apps.

Oh and we don't need that please tell me how to add Google wallet without root. By the way you know att blocked unknown apps before. So I guess then we did jail break or phones?

nosympathy

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
I don't see why it matters what you call it. Break it down and the words works.

Jail break. To remove restrictions and become free. Isn't that what we did? Removed a restricted boot loader to allow custom kernels and recovery which allows custom Roms.

Stop trying to be politically correct on this. If you're feelings are hurt over a simple word then your life must be depressing.

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida

Before you educate others you must first learn it for yourself, unlocking the bootloader is not illegal, and you don't root your phone, you gain root access.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Jail break. To remove restrictions and become free. Isn't that what we did? Removed a restricted boot loader to allow custom kernels and recovery which allows custom Roms.

Stop trying to be politically correct on this. If you're feelings are hurt over a simple word then your life must be depressing.

Add to the fact that the people trying to be PC are factually incorrect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That was in replying to an earlier post.
    The only logical definition in Android to call "jailbreak" is: To unlock device, without permission of current carrier, to be used on another carrier. After all it is illegal. Which you can go to jail for it.

My point is meshing terms like this only causes confusion with both non-techy people and with users of other carriers that don't deal with locked bootloader. Terminology has to be able to be understood across the entire community, not just for users of one carrier.

How many terminology was used within this thread to discribe "jailbreak"? Can you see how that can cause confusion? I am just saying.

Summary of Devices

I think your signature needs to be longer....

I personally think that root being called root is annoying.

You don't add root to a phone, nor do you root a phone. You unlock access to the root user.
    So if I show people my new note 2, and call it an iPhone, it is alright then? I mean they are both touch screen hand held PCs. Not that I give a ****, but when I first came to xda, people really cared about it. Maybe this is where the op is coming from.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

It is a far cry to call something you buy, that SAYS NOTE II on it, an iPhone.

This is different and again, we could argue that rooting is a stupid name for it too, considering that you aren't adding root, nor are you rooting the device. You are simply gaining access to root user level privileges that were there in the first place, just locked down.

A better name would be getting admin access to your phone, but that doesn't really have a ring to it, so who the hell cares?
    Do we really need a thread on this in the Verizon Note 2 Section?