[Q] Does the E960 N4 have the same sim tray as Optimus G E970?

Search This thread

aygriffith

Jan 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
So I searched 4 pages of SIM card threads and didn't see this answered...

I have a white N4 which I've lost the tray for. eBay has a plethora of black SIM trays for the N4. They have ZERO white trays. You can buy a white LG Optimus G tray which seems to be the exact same sized tray on the metal cradle part. Has anyone ever tried using a Optimus G E975 tray in the N4? The part I'm concerned about isn't the metal cradle, its the plastic at the tip. I could see that being a tad different and causing the tray not to seat.

My other alternative is to use the lone misc black tray I have and tape off the metal and rattle can the plastic white. I'd rather not do that.

Reactions: accountabc

aygriffith

Jan 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Well I'll answer my own question and forever deposit it in the XDA repository of information...

Does a LG Optimus G E970 sim tray fit a Nexus 4: Sorta.

The White one on the left is the E970's. It will insert into the N4 and come out just fine with a sim card ejector tool. It's even clearly holding the sim with the same metal tray as the black original Nexus 4 tray. The problem is its clearly not tall enough on the plastic cap. It's a similar shape but the one I was shipped from a E970 is maybe a mm too short.

So if you have a white Nexus 4, whatever you do, do not lose the sim card tray. It's next to impossible to find a replacement.
Next stop: Autozone. The black one is getting some white (really probably a cream) colored touch up paint job. And of course the case isn't a brilliant white, it's a hard to match off white.

qu8a4yje.jpg

ene9u7ah.jpg

ana2aqy6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: accountabc

accountabc

Dec 14, 2008
I'm kind of in the same boat as you are. I tried to find a white Nexus 4 for my sister, but they are hard to come by. So I figured I'd just buy as black one and get a white replacement back cover from ebay. Only thing I forgot about is the sim tray, which indeed is not sold on ebay AT ALL. I also figured that the Optimus G was likely to have the same sim tray. Thanks to you at least now I know that I should get one for the E960. So thank you I guess ;).

I did actually find places that sell white replacement sim trays, but 10 euro + shipping is a bit steep for such a tiny simple component... Still trying to find an alternative.

Edit: I went ahead and ordered one here for $8 including shipping. I'll let you know if it fits properly when I get it. I have a Black Nexus 4 that has an original housing that I can use to test if it'll fit a non-eBay back cover.

Last edited:

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
I'm puzzled as to how one can even lose/break the simtray. Its not like you pull it in and out everyday. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Alex93917

Sep 17, 2011
Nice
I bought the Nexus 4 last year, but I decided to change from black to white color 4 days ago. I've ordered this item : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Original-LG-...zer_Ersatzteile_Werkzeuge&hash=item2339fdd94d

I think it's the better choice, the difference does not look so huge. But, if this simtray from Optimus G is so different in real, I will buy a nexus 4's simtray from "electron-parts". But, as you said, the price is really high for a so simple part like this ...

It's just ths simtray, then I think this will not be disturbing :)

My story was a little different, because I have not lost my simtray, but I have just changed my color battery cover.

accountabc

Dec 14, 2008
I'm puzzled as to how one can even lose/break the simtray. [...]

Well, in my case I bought a white back to convert a black N4 to a white one. The white back does not come with a white sim tray however.

The "electron-parts" sim tray I linked to in my previous post is no good by the way. It fits, but the outside of the tray does not follow the curves of the nexus 4 housing very well; The white piece on it is rectangle shaped without rounded edges. See attached image.

Last edited:

Oxious119

Apr 18, 2013
I ordered a white back for mine as my original black one cracked. Don't even know if it comes with buttons/tray. But I don't mind using the black ones I have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I searched 4 pages of SIM card threads and didn't see this answered...

I have a white N4 which I've lost the tray for. eBay has a plethora of black SIM trays for the N4. They have ZERO white trays. You can buy a white LG Optimus G tray which seems to be the exact same sized tray on the metal cradle part. Has anyone ever tried using a Optimus G E975 tray in the N4? The part I'm concerned about isn't the metal cradle, its the plastic at the tip. I could see that being a tad different and causing the tray not to seat.

My other alternative is to use the lone misc black tray I have and tape off the metal and rattle can the plastic white. I'd rather not do that.
    Well I'll answer my own question and forever deposit it in the XDA repository of information...

Does a LG Optimus G E970 sim tray fit a Nexus 4: Sorta.

The White one on the left is the E970's. It will insert into the N4 and come out just fine with a sim card ejector tool. It's even clearly holding the sim with the same metal tray as the black original Nexus 4 tray. The problem is its clearly not tall enough on the plastic cap. It's a similar shape but the one I was shipped from a E970 is maybe a mm too short.

So if you have a white Nexus 4, whatever you do, do not lose the sim card tray. It's next to impossible to find a replacement.
    Next stop: Autozone. The black one is getting some white (really probably a cream) colored touch up paint job. And of course the case isn't a brilliant white, it's a hard to match off white.

qu8a4yje.jpg

ene9u7ah.jpg

ana2aqy6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk