[Q] unlock and root tf201 9.4.2.21

Search This thread

chisser98

Apr 19, 2012
Hi all.

Ok, I'm fairly confused as to how to go about rooting my transformer prime 9.4.2.21 tablet.

As I understand it, I should be able to unlock the tablet, then install a 'ROM' that is already rooted, which means..I can boot into the 'ROM' and have root access??

So, I set out and unlocked my tablet (I'm aware of the warranty repercussions). Done. Now I want to root the tablet so I can install Ubuntu or perhaps Debian on it...does anyone know how I go about this?

I'm SURE this has been asked, I just can't seem to find it...I'm also quite new to the mobile 'hacking' world, and I'm a bit confused about all the buzz words (i.e. 'flashing a ROM', etc)..:confused:

I appreciate any help!

Cheers

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
I am pretty sure the next step after unlocking it is installing CWM, then using that to install the ROM of your choice.

Anyone else want to chime in here?

Spidey01

Sep 16, 2011
Duluth
A.) Unlock.
B.) Flash ROM (you may want to pick before unlock0.
C.) Enjoy.

Unless it says otherwise you can assume any ROM that isn't from the manufacture, is rooted. The development section has ROMs, unlock, and Ubuntu crap. I use Debian in a chroot rather than native, and forgo X11. You may have to search for some things.

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
Can you point out a thread on how to install CWM from an unrooted device? Been searching,, but every thread points to Viperboy's thread, which will not work on .21.

McLiarpants

Jan 13, 2012
Can you point out a thread on how to install CWM from an unrooted device? Been searching,, but every thread points to Viperboy's thread, which will not work on .21.

You can't install CWM if you haven't unlocked. Root doesn't have anything to do with unlocking.

I suggest using Viperboy's tool to unlock your device. Be careful to follow ALL the directions and you'll be just fine.

Now I want to root the tablet so I can install Ubuntu or perhaps Debian on it...does anyone know how I go about this?

Rooting and unlocking are different. If you are unlocked, research which ROM you'd like to install and follow the directions in that thread. Virtually every ROM thread has the directions listed. There's even a thread if you want to try Ubuntu, though it has limited functionality right now.

Personally, I like Jermaine's AOKP ROM. It is really fast and smooth.

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
That's all well and good, how do you install CWM after unlocking? All of the posts say to use viperboy's tool, but it is not available at this time, the link is dead.

On version 4.5 that I already have option 5 unlock says "MUST BE ROOTED!!"

Are you saying it works without root? Or will the Fastboot method here work?

ok mcliar, I found in another thread from you this:

EDIT: I fixed it! I was able to pull an .apk of OTA Voodoo Rootkeep from a previous Titanium Backup file. I installed the app, and it restored root for me! Its possible that I was already still rooted, but without the ability to d/l apps I couldn't do anything about it. Anyway, I'm back with a rooted .21!

I have a similar situation, lost wifi, did a factory reset, lost voodoo and now can't reroot. How did you pull the apk and install it on the prime?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

McLiarpants

Jan 13, 2012
That's all well and good, how do you install CWM after unlocking? All of the posts say to use viperboy's tool, but it is not available at this time, the link is dead.

EDIT: I fixed it! I was able to pull an .apk of OTA Voodoo Rootkeep from a previous Titanium Backup file. I installed the app, and it restored root for me! Its possible that I was already still rooted, but without the ability to d/l apps I couldn't do anything about it. Anyway, I'm back with a rooted .21!

I have a similar situation, lost wifi, did a factory reset, lost voodoo and now can't reroot. How did you pull the apk and install it on the prime?

I had a backup apk from titanium backup. I'll attach the apk so you can see if it works for you.

Yes, Viperboy's tool will unlock and install CWM without root (EDIT: come to think of it, I was rooted when I ran this. You can follow this if it doesn't work for you--->). Alternatively, you can use the ASUS tool itself, and then follow this thread to install CWM.

Attachments

• org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper-9238320039c818a4633c2856e7560c8a.apk
    99.8 KB · Views: 256
Reactions: aawshads

chisser98

Apr 19, 2012
seems like everything needs root...

Ok...

So, I need to 'Flash a ROM'...right. I'm looking in the development section, and the ones I'm looking at require CWM to be installed..but that (from what I can find) requires root to install...

There was a mention of ViperMOD. However, from what I can tell that program will install CWM after you root the device, which it can't for me, as I'm running .21.

I've also read several mentions about using Rom Manager. I installed the free version, and tried to install CWM that way, but it failed with 'An error occurred while attempting to run priviledged commands', presumable because I need to root the device first.

Soo...it really looks like I need to root the device before I can do anything. Is this incorrect? It seems like it is, but when I look into the suggestions listed here I seem to run into a brick wall because I need a rooted device...

I appreciate all the suggestions guys, I really want to get stuff working on my TFP. Any help is (as always!) appreciated.

Thanks

chisser98

Apr 19, 2012
I had a backup apk from titanium backup. I'll attach the apk so you can see if it works for you.

Yes, Viperboy's tool will unlock and install CWM without root (EDIT: come to think of it, I was rooted when I ran this. You can follow this if it doesn't work for you--->). Alternatively, you can use the ASUS tool itself, and then follow this thread to install CWM.

oops sorry, I missed that CWM link...I'll check that out.

aawshads

Oct 1, 2010
Dallas
I have been researching all day, you will need to use fastboot in order to install cwm for the first time if you don't already have root. It will be what I use if I cannot get this titanium backup apk to work.

Mcliar, I appreciate you getting me the APK. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

kri_vijay

Sep 2, 2008
Could you post the backed up "su" for "OTA Voodoo Rootkeep" (i am guessing it stores the file in the application folder). I am wondering if it would be able to use this back to root the TF201

thanks
k

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.