[Tutorial] Unbrick your softbricked HTC Wildfire S

Search This thread

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
Your phone is said to be bricked when you screw up with your radio partition of your phone. This contains the bootloader which loads the operating system. This is a hard brick and needs expensive hardware to fix. I can only help you with a soft brick.

Most people seen to not know the difference between a soft brick, a boot failure and a total brick.

Boot failure: commonly referred to as 'the HTC screen', 'the white screen' and of cause the 'help me my phone is stuck - problem'. This problem can be caused by many things, including the kernel, library's and ramdisk (think of a ramdisk like a map of your phones internal hardware). This can easily be resolved by flashing a new ROM.

Soft brick: Is where your phone gives out no screen output, but does give out some vibrations or you can access the bootloader utility/hboot, this can be fixed by flashing an RUU

Brick: your phone is as useless as a brick. It does not turn on nor make any vibrations, and you can not access the bootloader utility. There is no way to fix this.

Here's some ways to avoid soft bricking/bricking:

- Don't flash unofficial radio firmware
- Don't flash unofficial hboot software
- Don't throw your phone
- Don't flash anything suspicious in hboot
- Don't flash an RUU not designed for your phone

Here's some common misunderstandings:

- Roms, on there own will never brick your phone
- Kernels will never brick your phone
- The bootloader is not the radio
- Too many flashes will not brick your phone (however, you may make the internal memory smaller by KB because of bad sectors, but that story is for another time :D)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using xda premium

Thanks to benjamingwynn for the above info. Original post

It is a good practice to keep at least 3 nandroid backups on your sd card or computer. Also, making a goldcard is also necessary to run an RUU and to flash a PG76IMG.zip these things make it easier to unbrick your phone

Install ADB and Fastboot here first.

A Soft brick may be of many types.

The 3/5/7 vibe Brick (common with A510c)
This is Qualcomm Diagnostics mode.
--> How To Fix It (Click here)
You have to use a PG76IMG.zip extracted from your RUU, and not the file given in that post.
To extract from the RUU,

1. Launch RUU (For this to be easiest, close all other running applications)
  2. At the screen for the README, launch Windows Explorer
  3. In the navigation/address bar type "%TEMP%" without the quotes.
  4. Choose the first long-named folder (actually, the most recent) and open it.
  5. Follow folders until you get to where there is a whole, big list (it should only be 1 or 2 subfolders).
  6. Look for ROM.zip
  7. Drag to desktop
  8. Rename to PG76IMG.zip
  9. Put it on SD Card.

Phone doesn't boot but goes to recovery saying something like E:/ Invalid command argument
Your boot partition is messed up
-->How to fix it
-Flash your ROM again
or
-Flash another ROM
or
-Restore a nandroid backup.
If that didn't work,
-Extract the boot.img from your ROM zip and and copy it where ADB and Fastboot are.
-boot into your bootloader [wait 15 sec] select 'fastboot' and press power.
-type
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
Reboot

Stuck on splash screen (White backgound with green 'htc')
Wait for at least 20 minutes to be sure its really stuck.
--> How to fix it
-remove the battery, boot into recovery, Wipe Data/Factory reset and try again
-still doesn't boot?
Restore a nandroid backup/Flash another Rom

Bootloop (Bootanimation plays repeatedly)
Connect the phone to your computer, run a logcat using the
Code:
adb logcat
command and look for repeating blocks
--> How to fix it
-still doesn't boot?

Dont forget to click the Thanks button!!
Please leave your feedback/comments/corrections
Inform me if something is wrong and i will fix it

Last edited:

fr33kachu

Jul 4, 2010
HI I have a 3 vibe brick on my CDMA VM USA HTC Wildfire S. It started with phone restarting and so I tried to recover though CWMod recovery, as I had backed it up when I first rooted my phone. During recovery it failed. I rebooted my phone then was stuck on the splash screen, after that I tried a battery pull and wound up with the 3 vibe brick. I have tried this method 4 times now, nothing seems to change, 3 vibes on power + vol down, wait 5 min, press vol up, wait 5 min again press vol up, no vibe, no nothing. screen stays black, no other vibes, do a battery pull, start over, same thing again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated cause I have no backup phone at the moment.

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
I'm sorry that's my mistake you have to do that with a PG76IMG.zip, not pb31img. Extract it from the ruu of your carrier and then follow the procedure

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Reactions: fr33kachu

fr33kachu

Jul 4, 2010
Ok cool. I was kinda thinking that's what it was, cause every time I was in hboot before this happened that's what it looked for, but I wasn't sure. Not really familiar with android but learning. Thanks again, btw, it works and you rock.

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
Ok cool. I was kinda thinking that's what it was, cause every time I was in hboot before this happened that's what it looked for, but I wasn't sure. Not really familiar with android but learning. Thanks again, btw, it works and you rock.

So you're unbricked now? Could you post the PG76IMG for other users?

B3NJY

Feb 18, 2012
Bishy Auckland
usb connection

Hi, really good tutorial bud, mine is stuck on 7 or five vibe seems random at the moment...transffered zip to sd but I think my battery is dead and does not seem to charge on charger and laptop not recognising usb connection (though red led comes on....do I need to find alternative way to charge battery ? Also if in diagnostics mode would this show in device manager... as I am guessing if it does not that means I aint so phone is truly bricked...
Thanks ahead
Ben

Last edited:

botski

May 12, 2010
thank you mate! really help for us :) keep sharing!

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

May 1, 2012
Munich
hard brick?

Hey all.

I recently purchased a Wildfire S(no simlock, no branding) from ebay. The touchscreen was responding very randomly so (without giving it too much thought, sigh) I decided to flash it. I'm in Germany so I used "RUU_Marvel_S_HTC_Europe_2.13.401.3_Radio_47.23c.35.3037_7.54.39.28M_release_236989_signed.exe"

I don't know what I did wrong but now I seem to have a bricked phone. When powered on it displays nothing, it doesn't vibrate and it is not recognizes by Windows when connected via USB, it doesn't even show up in the Device Manager as some sort of device. The display keeps turning on and off every 2,3 seconds regardless if I turn the phone on or i just plug in the battery so now it sits with no battery waiting to be salvaged.

Can you confirm that I have a hard bricked phone? I've read that it is possible to unbrick the HTC Sensation by putting it in QDL mode.
Can this be done with the Wildfire S? I saw two little holes near the upper right corner of the battery.

If it is absolutely impossible for the Wildfire S, can you recommend a place in Munich where I could get my phone fixed? What's a reasonable price so I don't get ripped off?

Thank you all! I hope I've posted in the right forum. Should I open a new thread for this?

Ciao.

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
@ B3NJY What phone do you have (marvel/mavelc, which carrier)? Which pg76img did you use? Did you make a goldcard?

@machofx Can you boot into the bootloader? (remove and replace battery, press and hold vol- and power)

Last edited:
May 1, 2012
Munich
sigh

@ B3NJY What phone do you have (marvel/mavelc, which carrier)? Which pg76img did you use? Did you make a goldcard?

@machofx Can you boot into the bootloader? (remove and replace battery, press and hold vol- and power)

I can't boot into the bootloader. As I said, nothing is displayed when I turn the phone on nor does it vibrate, it just turns the backlight on and off every two seconds.

P.S. I tried VolumeDown+Power button after removing the battery, didn't work!

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
I can't boot into the bootloader. As I said, nothing is displayed when I turn the phone on nor does it vibrate, it just turns the backlight on and off every two seconds.

P.S. I tried VolumeDown+Power button after removing the battery, didn't work!

I think the ruu did not install properly. You probably have a hard brick. ( read 1st paragraph of 1st post)

Last edited:

B3NJY

Feb 18, 2012
Bishy Auckland
I am pretty sure its marvel c and my carrier is 02uk I got it unlocked soff in shop,
I installed .sense rom but didnt like it so restored in recovery and all was fine but always had a problem with ota updates so tryed to do it manually, managed once but tryed latest update and its bricked me to black screen, volume down gives me 5/7 vibes.....

MARVEL PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT - 1.08.0000
MICROP - 0451
RADIO - 7.53.39.03M
S/W 2.13.401.2

I got the rom from here....link proved on this site...
http://www.mediafire.com/?ih6amhh2kzm4q6g which was the correct one I think for europe, I cannot make goldcard if I cannot connect to usb can I ?

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
I am pretty sure its marvel c and my carrier is 02uk I got it unlocked soff in shop,
I installed .sense rom but didnt like it so restored in recovery and all was fine but always had a problem with ota updates so tryed to do it manually, managed once but tryed latest update and its bricked me to black screen, volume down gives me 5/7 vibes.....

MARVEL PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT - 1.08.0000
MICROP - 0451
RADIO - 7.53.39.03M
S/W 2.13.401.2

I got the rom from here....link proved on this site...
http://www.mediafire.com/?ih6amhh2kzm4q6g which was the correct one I think for europe, I cannot make goldcard if I cannot connect to usb can I ?

My friend, you have a marvel, not marvelc. ( if it was a marvelc, then the 1st line would be MARVELC EVT1 S-OFF RL & O2 doesn't sell the marvelc). When did you check this?Which PG76IMG is that? It should have a higher s/w number than yours ( you can do it if it is lower also, but that is a much longer procedure). You can make a goldcard by putting your sd card in another htc phone also.

Last edited:

B3NJY

Feb 18, 2012
Bishy Auckland
Help me

I cannot remember when I copied those details down but I have access to my girlfriends wildfire buzz or card reader can you help me with it please if you have time....I am on shifts at the moment and off to work now till 11.00pm but if you can find time to give me a guide I would really appreciate it....I dont think I am anywhere near as smart as you but I am sure I can follow your links and instructions...it may help a lot more people and in my eyes should be a sticky.
Thank you
Ben

vbhtt

Aug 24, 2011
Mumbai
I cannot remember when I copied those details down but I have access to my girlfriends wildfire buzz or card reader can you help me with it please if you have time....I am on shifts at the moment and off to work now till 11.00pm but if you can find time to give me a guide I would really appreciate it....I dont think I am anywhere near as smart as you but I am sure I can follow your links and instructions...it may help a lot more people and in my eyes should be a sticky.
Thank you
Ben

Well there are a lot of tutorials on the internet on how to make a goldcard. Just use Google :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

mfiotrcdh

May 9, 2012
my phone is doing the one where the screen stays white with the green htc logo i forgot to back mine up and flashing any roms are not helping
wildfire s unlocked bootloader with s-off marvelc
h-boot-1.10.0001
microp-0354
radio-0.94.00.0109
please help if u can my girlfriend is gonna kill me and/or steal my triumph lol
thank you for any help

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your phone is said to be bricked when you screw up with your radio partition of your phone. This contains the bootloader which loads the operating system. This is a hard brick and needs expensive hardware to fix. I can only help you with a soft brick.

Most people seen to not know the difference between a soft brick, a boot failure and a total brick.

Boot failure: commonly referred to as 'the HTC screen', 'the white screen' and of cause the 'help me my phone is stuck - problem'. This problem can be caused by many things, including the kernel, library's and ramdisk (think of a ramdisk like a map of your phones internal hardware). This can easily be resolved by flashing a new ROM.

Soft brick: Is where your phone gives out no screen output, but does give out some vibrations or you can access the bootloader utility/hboot, this can be fixed by flashing an RUU

Brick: your phone is as useless as a brick. It does not turn on nor make any vibrations, and you can not access the bootloader utility. There is no way to fix this.

Here's some ways to avoid soft bricking/bricking:

- Don't flash unofficial radio firmware
    - Don't flash unofficial hboot software
    - Don't throw your phone
    - Don't flash anything suspicious in hboot
    - Don't flash an RUU not designed for your phone

Here's some common misunderstandings:

- Roms, on there own will never brick your phone
    - Kernels will never brick your phone
    - The bootloader is not the radio
    - Too many flashes will not brick your phone (however, you may make the internal memory smaller by KB because of bad sectors, but that story is for another time :D)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using xda premium

Thanks to benjamingwynn for the above info. Original post

It is a good practice to keep at least 3 nandroid backups on your sd card or computer. Also, making a goldcard is also necessary to run an RUU and to flash a PG76IMG.zip these things make it easier to unbrick your phone

Install ADB and Fastboot here first.

A Soft brick may be of many types.

The 3/5/7 vibe Brick (common with A510c)
    This is Qualcomm Diagnostics mode.
    --> How To Fix It (Click here)
    You have to use a PG76IMG.zip extracted from your RUU, and not the file given in that post.
    To extract from the RUU,

1. Launch RUU (For this to be easiest, close all other running applications)
    2. At the screen for the README, launch Windows Explorer
    3. In the navigation/address bar type "%TEMP%" without the quotes.
    4. Choose the first long-named folder (actually, the most recent) and open it.
    5. Follow folders until you get to where there is a whole, big list (it should only be 1 or 2 subfolders).
    6. Look for ROM.zip
    7. Drag to desktop
    8. Rename to PG76IMG.zip
    9. Put it on SD Card.

Phone doesn't boot but goes to recovery saying something like E:/ Invalid command argument
    Your boot partition is messed up
    -->How to fix it
    -Flash your ROM again
    or
    -Flash another ROM
    or
    -Restore a nandroid backup.
    If that didn't work,
    -Extract the boot.img from your ROM zip and and copy it where ADB and Fastboot are.
    -boot into your bootloader [wait 15 sec] select 'fastboot' and press power.
    -type
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    Reboot

Stuck on splash screen (White backgound with green 'htc')
    Wait for at least 20 minutes to be sure its really stuck.
    --> How to fix it
    -still doesn't boot?

Bootloop (Bootanimation plays repeatedly)
    Connect the phone to your computer, run a logcat using the
    Code:
    adb logcat
    command and look for repeating blocks
    --> How to fix it
    -still doesn't boot?

Dont forget to click the Thanks button!!
    Please leave your feedback/comments/corrections
    Inform me if something is wrong and i will fix it
    Your bootloader should be unlocked
    I'm sorry that's my mistake you have to do that with a PG76IMG.zip, not pb31img. Extract it from the ruu of your carrier and then follow the procedure

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e
    Search for downgrade tutorial in the index then you will be able to install your ruu. DONT FORGET TO MAKE A GOLDCARD
    yes its done !!

Thanks bhatt...

B/w where can i find "FM radio" app same as in stock rom?? as jelly king is not having that app.
    If you have any idea,please share.

The stock fm radio app won't work. Search for spirit fm on google

Sent from my bowl of jelly!