[Q] Very slow performance, after some rom work.

Search This thread

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
So, i was curious about Paranoid Android. So i decided to give it a try on my N7.

I started with an already unlocked, but otherwise stock N7, 2012, Running the stock KitKat ROM.

I installed TWRP, used an auto-root method which booted an image via fastboot, and rooted. Then I booted back into KitKat, and installed Titanium Backup Pro to back up a few apps I didnt want to lose in the flash.

Then, i booted back to TWRP, and ran a system backup, so I could restore if needed.

Once the backup was done, I installed Paranoid 4.2 beta4, from their paranoidandroid.ca, and gapps from goo.im.

Booted paranoid android well enough, but man, it was sluggish. Really sluggish. It was painful to get my google aco**** logged in and then setup my email accounts. Thats about as far as I got before I decided that this was just not usable, and decided to drop back to my stock rooted backup.

Now, through all of this, I dont have a ton of storage space avaialble. The backup took up 4gb, and its only a 16gb tablet. I had a few hundred mb available after the backup, and install of paranoid.

After restoring my backup, things were still pretty darn slow. I cleaned up a decent amount of space, i have about 1.5gb available now. Its improved, but still sluggish. I'm not ready to delete the twrp backup yet, as i may try paranoid again, or maybe another rom, but I want to get tot he bottom of this speed problem first.

Does android depend on free /sdcard disk space in order to function well? Knowing what I know about linux this seems strange. Or is it that I should have wiped cache/dalvik when I restored my backup? I did wipe both, and /data when I did paranoid.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
So, i was curious about Paranoid Android. So i decided to give it a try on my N7.

I started with an already unlocked, but otherwise stock N7, 2012, Running the stock KitKat ROM.

I installed TWRP, used an auto-root method which booted an image via fastboot, and rooted. Then I booted back into KitKat, and installed Titanium Backup Pro to back up a few apps I didnt want to lose in the flash.

Then, i booted back to TWRP, and ran a system backup, so I could restore if needed.

Once the backup was done, I installed Paranoid 4.2 beta4, from their paranoidandroid.ca, and gapps from goo.im.

Booted paranoid android well enough, but man, it was sluggish. Really sluggish. It was painful to get my google aco**** logged in and then setup my email accounts. Thats about as far as I got before I decided that this was just not usable, and decided to drop back to my stock rooted backup.

Now, through all of this, I dont have a ton of storage space avaialble. The backup took up 4gb, and its only a 16gb tablet. I had a few hundred mb available after the backup, and install of paranoid.

After restoring my backup, things were still pretty darn slow. I cleaned up a decent amount of space, i have about 1.5gb available now. Its improved, but still sluggish. I'm not ready to delete the twrp backup yet, as i may try paranoid again, or maybe another rom, but I want to get tot he bottom of this speed problem first.

Does android depend on free /sdcard disk space in order to function well? Knowing what I know about linux this seems strange. Or is it that I should have wiped cache/dalvik when I restored my backup? I did wipe both, and /data when I did paranoid.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I gave cache and dalvik a wipe, and rebooted. What little performance gains I thought I got earlier from cleaning up the storage, are now gone. Its just as slow as it was again. Sigh. What have I done to my tablet?

Mojar7070

Jan 25, 2013
Have you tried to do a full wipe of the device and factory reset?? (wipe internal storage included) I've found that this helps greatly with speed and stability on allof my devices. It is a hassle though.....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
Have you tried to do a full wipe of the device and factory reset?? (wipe internal storage included) I've found that this helps greatly with speed and stability on allof my devices. It is a hassle though.....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

I haven't gone this far yet, because of the hassle. I may do this and see what happens.

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
Backed up my stuff, reinstalled paranoid, and did a full wipe.

So far, so good, appears to be much faster.

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
Yep. Still not sure why wiping my personal data did the trick, I did wipe all of the app and cache data the first time around...

Oh well, if it works it works, dont complain right? Thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: Mojar7070

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yep. Still not sure why wiping my personal data did the trick, I did wipe all of the app and cache data the first time around...

Oh well, if it works it works, dont complain right? Thanks for the suggestion!