[Q] tethering and my htc and att?

Search This thread

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
Hello, can someone help me with something. I rooted my htc inspire a few months back. I did not change the room just left it as is. I am now trying to tethering my accer a500 to my htc inspire. I have tried the hot spot and also tried to hook cable to tablet from phone. when i try hot spot it turns on then turns off says i need to call att.

I am wondering do i have to flash phone with a differnet rom inorder to use those functions. or is their a way around the issue. Sorry for my lack of knowing lol. i am looking but I have not found a newbie guid covering this. I am asuming i do need to flash phone with custom rom but wanted to make sure.

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
update

I guess should of added more info. I have rooted my phone a long while back. I did not flash a custom Rom to my phone. I am running the Rom the phone came with just rooted. Thanks again for any help someone will be able to give. I am still reading the fourms just guess not understanding. From what I am getting if I want hot spot to work or tethering to work I need to flash my phone with a custom Rom.

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
ok

Lol sorry but you really think I didn't do that like a month ago. Really I have read and re-read every topic even close to covering this topic. One topic saying yes you can the next saying it didn't work. Figured would find someone nice enough to say yes you can do it, and here is the topic area to look. Thank you for the link

Update, followed your link and it went no were. Google free tethering again and came up with the same thing. Someone saying they have a way to make it work. Then a bunch of posts after that with people saying it worked for a bit but not now. I'm just looking to see if it can be done, what has and has not worked and if I am right and I need a custom Rom.

Last edited:

allenrb2

Mar 6, 2011
B.F.E.
I use EasyTether Pro, don't know if its safe, but I have been using it for almost 2 years on 2 different phones, and haven't been stuck with a higher bill yet

Sent from my Inspire 4G

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
thanks for the info

Was wondering do you guys use the cable, or set up a WiFi way. I don't plan on doing any downloading I use a program that looks up info for me on the net. Maybe some Facebook on the night ****. Once again thanks for the help with this very cool.

tyler79durdan

Sep 28, 2011
1:1.61803
I dont have to DD an app to use hotspot because my dev built it in, which most roms do... but if you must stick with your stock rom... (thumbs down):(:confused:

I used "open garden" wifi tether on a few different phones requiring that functionality. Its one of the best out there IMHO

P.S. If you like the stock feel and stability? of your stock rom, but are ready to open your phone up to a brand new life...

My suggestion for a jump off point(ROM) is 'COREDROID'! I dont rock it anymore, but it was imo the best, next very close runner up would be 'AndroidRevolution'...

Both of those have built in hotspot, plus a WAYYY faster UI than stock. Just My Opinion. good luck!

jimcasey1768

Jul 26, 2011
San Francisco
I have never tried to tether using stock rom, however almost all custom roms I have used have the ability to tether. Maybe try a custom rom, I like IceColdSandwich v 4.2. Good luck!

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
Thank u very much that was what I was really looking for. I will start looking for custom Rom that might work for me. I really need to learn how to back up the Rom I have so I can save it so I can flash it back to phone if need be. Thanks again all for all the help with this.

tyler79durdan

Sep 28, 2011
1:1.61803
Start by looking for a recovery like "cwm recovery"... within the Inspire forums. Follow the directions exactly and read them ALL first, then reread them before flashing. Once youve achieved a recovery, you'll have opened yourself up to try ROMS i.e.Try coredroid for a few days then perform a backup of coredroid, then flash AR and run that for a few days.

As it seems in your OP, youre kinda used to a stock ROM and both of those are based on stock, with enhancements, and bloatware removed... MUCH FASTER and responsive.

So just start with one thing at a time - Recovery Time!!!

p.s. once youve installed your recovery, you should backup your current config before going to the next step - ROM!!! Practice good backup skills, and you'll limit your headaches considerably.

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
hello, thank you all for your replies. I am really wanting to move up to custom roms. Prob is I do not know how to back up my current rom, and how to check it to make sure its good. I am looking for the info and what app to use to get the best back up file. i want to be sure I know how to back up and also how to go back to the back up if need be before I move forward. If someone knows of a guide to do that stuff or has any good information could you pm me please. thanks a bunch for the help.

Wulamoc

Feb 20, 2012
hello, thank you all for your replies. I am really wanting to move up to custom roms. Prob is I do not know how to back up my current rom, and how to check it to make sure its good. I am looking for the info and what app to use to get the best back up file. i want to be sure I know how to back up and also how to go back to the back up if need be before I move forward. If someone knows of a guide to do that stuff or has any good information could you pm me please. thanks a bunch for the help.

as for backup between ROMs the two major ones are Titanium Backup and MyBackup

struff

May 5, 2007
a 30second search of putting 'free tether htc inspire' into google would have given you the answer you need. This has been asked over and over and over. You are technically breaching your agreement and if you get caught that is on you. Here is a link in the market for a simple to use app. Next time please search before making threads.

https://market.android.com/details?...EwOSwiY29tLm1zdHJlYW0uZWFzeXRldGhlcl9iZXRhIl0.

I used the EasyTether app a few times around last Christmas. Today I got the email from AT&T about tethering. So I guess now we can't use EasyTether?

struff

May 5, 2007
I went to my local store yesterday and had a rep examine my phone to be sure there was no way I could tether. She noted it in my account. Today I got a txt msg saying I was tethering. So I called the 866 number in the msg and the phone rep told me they can now tell any time a computer or any other device is plugged into the phone and any time a tethering app is used. So according to her logic, we can't even use our computers to charge our phones.

G

GuestK007

I went to my local store yesterday and had a rep examine my phone to be sure there was no way I could tether. She noted it in my account. Today I got a txt msg saying I was tethering. So I called the 866 number in the msg and the phone rep told me they can now tell any time a computer or any other device is plugged into the phone and any time a tethering app is used. So according to her logic, we can't even use our computers to charge our phones.

no, she means they can detect the tethering. not the connection itself. u can still charge and xfer files and sync lol

struff

May 5, 2007
no, she means they can detect the tethering. not the connection itself. u can still charge and xfer files and sync lol
*I* know that. But she apparently doesn't. She told me that ANY time ANYTHING is plugged into the phone now counts as tethering. Even if NO apps are being used. I know better than to believe that lol.

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Sucks for EasyTether and PDANet users

ST3ALTHPSYCH0

May 23, 2011
Fulton, IN
This seems a good place to ask. Of course, the ref with whom I spoke claims that their system is flawless, but is there anyone here who kows AT&Ts systems that can speak as to the reliability of their inspection system?
The reason I ask, I was informed that "the data connection from your phone was opened to another device several times within the past 2 months." I used it once, I'm afraid that something looks like tethering to their system, and I'll end up with a more expensive capped plan rather than my unlimited plan (truth is that I've only gone over 3 GB once of which I'm aware, I just don't like the concept of caps.... or more cost).

gage0727

Dec 28, 2011
I finaly put a custom rom on my phone and was able to hotspot and tether my phone to my laptop. Only used it to load one page of xda just to see if it worked or not. I never got a text meassage or phone call or anything. I also use a bunch of bandwidth on a daily bases. e-mail, web games and such. I had to re-lock my phone sending it to htc to get repaired, when i get it back it will be re rooted and custom rom and tethered again. Will let you know what happens then. lol

G

GuestK007

They will constantly improve the system. the more people that find ways around it the more they will invest in closing the holes. they didnt used to have the ability to see but more and more is pointing to packet inspection and TTL's on them to see if theres another device behind the phone. it's not just an apn setting anymore. it's best either to not tether and breach contract or just pay the $15 a month and use it. Getting around it now, could change next week or a month or tomorrow. companies will do what they can to protect their services from being taken advantage of, and with the number of users that are stealing tethering data, that is a considerable cost. do i think its fair that i need to pay $15 to connect my pc to phone for just a picture here and there, no, but the consumer always wants everything for free.